the 4400 SD reception problems

I have just got a SD PVR (Legend) and have generally been happy with it except for when watching the 4400 show last night the image was highly pixelated and sound dropped in and out a bit making it almost unbearable (we ended up watching it in analog). It was almost like we were trying to watch a HD signal with a SD STB. I was watching Ten Digital 1 (SD) in Melbourne (although all of Ten's SD channels were the same poor quality for the show).

Did Ten forget to turn off the HD transmission for the SD channels as the show was a native HD program?

I'm in Adelaide and saw a few minutes of it and the signal didn't drop at all. I've had ch9 go pixelated for about 45mins and the signal strength & quality bars didn't drop at all. How strong was your signal when it started breaking up? Could've been impulse noise, maybe you had a flickering globe or were running some appliance?

A couple of other possibilities come to mind ....

1. Ten upped the bitrate on SD (unlikely) and the Legend couldn't keep up?

2. Ten dropped the bitrate on SD (highly likely) and the Legend decoder wasn't up to the task with less data to work with?

Others here with more knowledge will have opinions on whether either of these are valid possibilities.?

Or saw the same problems with other STBs?

Or didn't see the same problems with their Legends?

I have just got a SD PVR (Legend) and have generally been happy with it except for when watching the 4400 show last night the image was highly pixelated and sound dropped in and out a bit making it almost unbearable (we ended up watching it in analog). It was almost like we were trying to watch a HD signal with a SD STB. I was watching Ten Digital 1 (SD) in Melbourne (although all of Ten's SD channels were the same poor quality for the show).

Did Ten forget to turn off the HD transmission for the SD channels as the show was a native HD program?

I have a Toppy and had the same problem with the second tranmission on Monday night. It recorded a 28Gb file for 3 hours! Same symptoms, sound dropouts/nonexistent, choppy video - looks like the HD and SD transmission were both recorded. On the Toppy I used the Copy function on the file - this resulted in a 9Gb file which plays fine.

Cheers,

John