Amp upgrade time - 3 component video inputs needed

Hi all

The time has come for me to retire my trusty Yamaha RXV620 as I now require an amp with 3 (at least) component video inputs.

I see the Denon 2805 at the top of my budget, also the 2105 but am wondering if the helpful forum members can suggest some other alternatives.

Must be at least 5 channels of course and at least 90W RMS per channel.

I hope to hear from you all soon!

By the way $500ono is all I am chasing for the RXV620 so please PM me if interested.

J

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J,

I was in the same boat as you. Ended up with a Sony 780 with two component inputs and moving one of my other devices i.e DVD or STB over to DVI-D

Alls well except... I can pick up a D-VHS deck for about $280 brand new.

Now I have run out again :-(

<cries>

The Onkyo 601 has 3 component inputs. JB were selling them for just over $700

It'll be hard to beat the Denon but surely you would have a listen to the Yamaha RXV-650 and the MarantzSR4400? If you're mad on bass management maybe also try the HK's (AVR230 330). But above all others you MUST TRY the Cambridge Audio 540R before you buy anything. It's a top notch receiver.

There's so much to choose from these days, I believe I've only touched the tip of the iceberg.

EDIT: Scratch the CA, only 2 component ins, bloody nice unit though!

Hi nobby

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately the RXV650 only has 2 component inputs from what I can see in the pics I have found online.

It is a real bummer as I would go that one in a minute as it can transcode svideo to component and give me one component cable to my PJ.

Thanks again.

J

I have a Sony STR-DE685 and the handbook shows 3 Component inputs, but only on certain models. Unfortunately mine is a little bit difficult to get at in situ to look, sorry.

Shpouldn't stop you from checking them, out though, if the model is still current.

It's 5.1 with 100W(RMS) per channel and quite an efficient little beast and has never given me a single problem in the two years I've had it..Go for around $800-$900..Less if you ask nicely.

I've narrowed it down to :

Denon 2805

Rotel 1056

Onkyo TXSR702 - Are these reliable?

Does anyone have any other contenders for the title?

Please post your alternatives or any issues with the above.

Thanks all.

J

Onkyo TXSR702 - Are these reliable?

J,

You probably missed my "Don't buy Onkyo [any more]" post in another thread?

I have a 2-yr-old TX-SR800 (now superceded by an 801, and maybe an 802). It has only given me one problem: major dropouts with optical audio from the Toppy! I understand (from other posts) that this is a common problem with many/all japanese receivers - not just the Onkyo. But I expected better from Onkyo!

Other Negative Comments* (I'm sure you don't need me to repeat the positive stuff from the manufacturer and various review magazines):

- Onkyo used to make great gear and offered best bang-for-buck as well. BUT ... the build quality has plummeted since my prior purchases over the last 20 years.

- Back plane has no gold-plated terminals.

- Cheap plastic speaker posts do not accept bananas - and are a real PITA to attach good cables (and almost as bad with simple 12-gauge).

- I lost s-video from a cheap LG progressive DVD player about a year ago and never got around to checking whether it is the LG or the Onkyo at fault. (I assumed the LG, but it could be the SR800).

- The learning remote is fantastic - but there are a number of quirks too.

- It is not happy running above about 80dB SPL (which is f***ing loud anyway) with my small ProAc and KEF speakers. The power supply would be inadequate for loud hip-hop in a top-notch setup - though my DVD player is also under suspicion! I'm considering a Rotel 1095 or similar to solve this problem.

Hope this helps,

Ian

* These issues may have been addressed in the more recent 801 and/or 802 models.

I checked Pricej***n earlier and discovered I can get the 3805(3890) for $1799.

May just end up giving them a shot and save 25%.

Hmmmmm.....

J...If you can get one of these for that price I'd grab it. Thats fire sale prices. The 3805 will certainly keep your options open re multichannel.

I got the latest copy of hifi news which had a comparo of arcam300 vs the denon 3805, the equivalent pioneer, yamaha, rotel & HK. The denon came away with a very good review easily toping out the arcam. The rotel actually along with the pioneer were the other two real contenders, however the pioneer is easily discounted and not worth the money unless you have its matching pioneer dvd player to hook up via i-link. The rotel is really worth considering.

Keep in mind all these amps have a charecteristic sound of their own. I'd really be listening to them before buying. The Arcam(not in the top three) for instance even though did not review as well as the denon has a warmer/solid sound which some people may prefer to the fresher/brighter sounding denon or the very agile sound of the pioneer.

For the money though think you'd be hard getting better value than the 3805 for your $1799

Arrhhhhhh !!!

The component video inputs are different on the 3890 to the 3805!

Not an option after all :blink:

J

Oh well back to scratch. Try and have a flick through the latest hifi news at the news agent - might help you just a little with the options.

Ah huh!!

I think the new Yamaha 1500 or 2500 may fit the bill so I will wait and see these 2 before deciding.

I know for a fact the 2500 has 3 component in and one out.

As I have lage speakers the extra 30% power will go down a treat!!

The list is now:

Rotel 1056

Yamaha RXV2500

Denon 3805

All over $2000 though ow man!

J

Hi Laurie

The video transcoding has been included on all Yamaha amps 640 and upwards from what I can see.

Good move for sure, one cable to my pj, cool.

Hi Steve _i

Have not reallt considered NAD, no one has recommended them to me for Home Theatre.

I have listened to their stereo receivers and like the sound.

Better have a look.

J

J,

I can thoroughly recommend ROTEL gear ... as you can see from my sig ... :blink: , although i haven't heard the 1056.

Excellent HT sound (up there with high end Denon equipment), but where it really is good is with plain old two channel stereo ... especially with a decent power amp for the fronts.

A lot of HT processors these days place too much emphasis on doing only HT well (don't get me wrong ... this is their prime purpose!!!), but a huge added bonus is to get great stereo sound as well.

Audition them and let us know what you think ...

Jamie

The Rotel pre/pros do that, perhaps their receivers do too.

Well its good to know that feature is now almost standard but from memory and I may well be wrong only the Yamaha Z9 upscales video to 576p-->720p-->1080i hopefully this will slowly be introduced into mid-range receivers :blink:

cheers laurie

Hi

Can anyone who has had problems (or success) with Onkyo products please post your thoughts.

I have added the Onkyo TXSR702 back on the list.

Current list & RRP details as follows:

$2499 - Denon 3805

$2199 - Rotel 1056

$1799 - Onkyo TXSR702

$2499 - Yamaha RXV2500

$1999 - Yamaha RXV1500 (if it has 3 component inputs)

I have heard that the Rotel has a lot of guts.

If anyone has auditioned any of these, please post your thoughts.

I need one with guts to run my large speakers so if any one has seen articles with measured outputs, do tell!

As always, everyones contributions are appreciated.

J

I need one with guts to run my large speakers so if any one has seen articles with measured outputs, do tell!

If your speakers have at least 92dB sensitivity or greater then you don't need guts from the amp! JMHO :blink:

cheers laurie

ps if there was such a thing like a 15 watt 7.1 valve amp then I will be really happy I tried my Vaf DC-X speakers[95-97dB] on a 15 watt stereo valve amp and did it sound LOUD and SWEET

Yeah I used to have a 140w RMS amp hooked up to the ATS5 fronts, boy that kicked and was crisp.

They are 93dB sensitivity for the ATS5 fronts and ATS3 rears and the CC240 Centre is 92dB.

sure they are fairly loud but not like the powerful stereo sound that I had previously.

Even when running in stereo.

Hope someone posts about their Onkyo experiences.

J

J,

Have you checked the build quality of the Onkyo SR702 anywhere yet? While re-cabling all video tonight, I noticed that my SR800 power cord (655w max power drain) was only half the thickness of the one on my $90 DVD player (14w max drain)!!

And if they haven't fixed the plastic speaker posts with the 02 models, you will curse ever having to unplug a speaker.

On the other hand, you will pay big bucks for the Onkyo features and flexibility elsewhere! And now that I have found that my S-video problem was my fault - not the Onkyo or the DVD player (who puts an f'ing switch on the back of a player any more?) - I can say that it has rocked without a single problem in 2 years of 10+ hrs/day! ... and I do give it a nudge with [very] loud hip-hop and DD5.1 movies quite frequently through small ~90dB ProAc and KEF speakers.

Ian

PS. I'm re-arranging all the audio cabling tomorrow and will see if the Onkyo has anything to do with my Toppy optical audio problems.

Thanks Ian.

I will have a closer inspection of the rear of the unit on display near me.

Please post your findings about the optical problem.

Is it a drop out or is it a loud bzzt noise you are experiencing?

J

the back of the yamaha 2400 seemed to have some spring clip speaker connectors too - perhaps these are for multi room. Not sure how this compares with the 1500 but the hifi news review said not in the same league as the arcam, denon, rotel and pioneer.

I think it would be a close call between the rotel 1056 and the denon 3805. I think they are really the only two contendors in the bunch you listed in your last post spearmint.

Wondering if you have you actually listened to any of these amps yet. I would not be buying any before having a listen first. None of our views really matter when it comes down to what YOU like.