the new TopfHDRead/Write

Hi,

it is finally done! The new version of TopfHDRead/Write is available for download from http://topfield.abock.de/TF5000/tf5000.html It allows to write files to a Toppy drive or to copy files directly between two Toppy drives. Opposed to the receivers USB port, a good set-up can reach a transfer rate of up to 1GB per minute for large files.

Please keep in mind that it is not possible to catch all bugs and the chance to damage a file system is greater than 0%. Save the old files until you're sure that the transfer succeeded.

Thanks to all the brave beta testers who fiddled around and took the time to report their experience. And of course a verrrry big THANK YOU to Fossil. He had several jobs at once: he was a beta tester, did the management of the other beta testers, took the responsibility of public relations and was my psychotherapist ;-)

I hope you have fun with it.

Regards, Alex

Hi All...I have also posted this comment in the Toppy forum. I thought I would also put it here because some folks might not get to the Toppy forum

Just so you know,....I have been using this program for some time now, and I use it every day with my 4 caddy 4 drive two Toppy setup......(not bragging just illustrating what the Prog can be used for), and there would be no reason for me to have my setup without your program....it has made the TV part of my life very very interesting, being able to do practically anything with my files.

I don't have any troubles at all, and could never be without it...It's brilliant...I want to thank Alex very much for persisting with this great program and spending the 100's of hours it took just so we could copy files and use his utilities....It does every thing I want.

foss

I don't have any plans to port TopfHDRW or to put the source into the public domain. As the main program is written in Visual Basic it would need a considerable amount of time to do the port. On the other hand there are no secrets inside the code. So if there is a volunteer who wants to build a Linux version I’ll help out with the source code and my knowledge of the disk structure.

Hi,

Just thought I would post to save others the trouble I've gone through. I was trying to find more info on the program but was struggling.

The info on the website is in German and even if you translate it, it wasn't particularly helpful. Using IE, it translates as...

--------------------------

Now also communication is no more to the USB limited to the pot, the plate can also directly into the computer be built:

With TopfHDReadWrite files can be copied by a Topfield TF5000PVR non removable disk directly on the PC (and in reverse), without having to use the slower USB connection between the receiver and the PC.

If you install the program, you will find a PDF in the program folder (C:\Program Files\TopfHDRW\TopfHDRW.pdf). The top section is in German, but if you look down the bookmarks, you will find the English version.

Here's an extract...

---

With TopfHDRead/Write you can copy files from a Topfield TF5000/5500PVR(t) hard disk to a PC (and vice versa) without using the USB connection between the receiver and the PC. The advantage is the much higher transfer rate; the disadvantage is that the drive has to be removed from the receiver. In the meantime there are several modifications which allow the use of external caddies or add an additional fast USB or Firewire connection to the internal disk.

A warning at first: Before you remove the hard disk please disconnect the receiver from the mains. Directly beside the drive there is the power supply and several parts (including the large heat sink) are carrying lethal voltages. Touching these parts may not only kill the Topfield.

---

I'm sure some will find it useful, but I think I leave my screwdriver in the drawer and just stick with the USB connection for file transfers.

Cheers, Cliff

While I agree with Cliff that pulling electronics apart is not for the neophyte, those of us with multiple PCs will be totally familiar with swapping drives and cards that also requires basic, not-so-common sense, precautions like turning it off and discharging static electricity from yourself* before touching the innards.

The Toppy is really just an ultra-small PC with a hard drive - so treat it the same way: with care but not with fear.

For the record: I would not trust myself with a soldering iron, but would happily pull the case apart once a week to swap drives with a PC - then archive all the files to a server using Alex's program.

2 more cents,

Ian

* Touch any nearby earthed metal case before touching the Toppy - or leave the Toppy plugged into the mains, but turn the power switch off at the wall.

Edited by ijd

You can go one step further than pulling it apart each week.

Hang a short IDE cable and IDE socket out the back of the Toppy, and swap from the socket to a USB/Firewire to IDE bridge (typically found in a HDD enclosure) to transfer files, then you don't need to pull out the HDD, or reboot your PC to put the drive in (USB drive auto detected).

This method was used for my DVD player, I haven't tried it on the Toppy yet but can't see why it wouldn't work. Keep the cables as short as possible and probably upgrade to 80pin cabling (although finding 80pin cabling with a socket rather than plug is going to be impossible, the bit with the socket will just have to be the normal 40pin IDE cable).

Cliff...all I can say re your post is that you are missing out on so much....

Please don't let Cliffs post stop you from getting even more enjoyment from the Toppy than you do now...

Firebirds program makes my Toppy 1,000% more enjoyable...I have total command and control over my Toppy...For an example, I have uploaded 7 GIG to my Toppy and down loaded 10 gig to my Laptop this morning, all in under 3/4 of an hour, and my laptop is slow...if I had to do this via the USB port i would not bother, just like many of you cannot be bothered.

ProjectX processed DVD vobs can be played on the Toppy in fantastic PQ, with so little fiddling...also you can archive data to your Toppy drive..in fact many video files that you may have on your PC including Home Videos can be played on the Toppy ..... My comment is for those who want to have the full Monty from their Toppy

...If anyone wants to know why you would get the screwdriver out of the drawer, then PM me with your questions.

Foss

Hi,

Just thought I would post to save others the trouble I've gone through.  I was trying to find more info on the program but was struggling.

The info on the website is in German and even if you translate it, it wasn't particularly helpful.  Using IE, it translates as...

Now also communication is no more to the USB limited to the pot, the plate can also directly into the computer be built:

With TopfHDReadWrite files can be copied by a Topfield TF5000PVR non removable disk directly on the PC (and in reverse), without having to use the slower USB connection between the receiver and the PC.

If you install the program, you will find a PDF in the program folder (C:\Program Files\TopfHDRW\TopfHDRW.pdf).  The top section is in German, but if you look down the bookmarks, you will find the English version.

Here's an extract...

---

With TopfHDRead/Write you can copy files from a Topfield TF5000/5500PVR(t) hard disk to a PC (and vice versa) without using the USB connection between the receiver and the PC. The advantage is the much higher transfer rate; the disadvantage is that the drive has to be removed from the receiver. In the meantime there are several modifications which allow the use of external caddies or add an additional fast USB or Firewire connection to the internal disk.

A warning at first: Before you remove the hard disk please disconnect the receiver from the mains. Directly beside the drive there is the power supply and several parts (including the large heat sink) are carrying lethal voltages. Touching these parts may not only kill the Topfield.

---

I'm sure some will find it useful, but I think I leave my screwdriver in the drawer and just stick with the USB connection for file transfers. 

Cheers,  Cliff

Hi Tony....With ref to your 80 pin comment...what you do is use 80 wire 40 pin setup...The Toppy need 80 wires instead of 40 wires to transfer the data over the longer distance...less resistance etc... 80 wire 40 pin cables are a standard item available from the computer parts shop.

foss

You can go one step further than pulling it apart each week.

Hang a short IDE cable and IDE socket out the back of the Toppy, and swap from the socket to a USB/Firewire to IDE bridge (typically found in a HDD enclosure) to transfer files, then you don't need to pull out the HDD, or reboot your PC to put the drive in (USB drive auto detected).

This method was used for my DVD player, I haven't tried it on the Toppy yet but can't see why it wouldn't work.  Keep the cables as short as possible and probably upgrade to 80pin cabling (although finding 80pin cabling with a socket rather than plug is going to be impossible, the bit with the socket will just have to be the normal 40pin IDE cable).

Hi again,

Sorry for causing any offence Fossil. My intent was simply to let others know where they could find a bit more info on what the utility was for - this is the first post I had seen about it. Glad that it works so well you:)

Tony's suggestion is a good one about leaving the HDD permanently of out of the case. That would certainly cut down on the mucking on and would have an added advantage of making it easy to switch over HDDs if one had filled up.

Also, I hadn't considered the uses for uploading data back to the Topfield, so I can see how Fossils idea of exporting home movies and DVDs could be quite handy.

In my own set up, the PC is in a room next to the TV so I tend to play stuff back to the TV via the PC or burn stuff onto a DVD and use a standalone DVD player. My main requirement is simply to get off the occassional show off the Topfield for archiving - to HDD or DVD. Personally it doesn't bother me waiting 20 minutes for an hour show to tranfer across.

I guess we all have our own requirements, so once again, I'm sure there will many who will find the application quite useful:)

Cheers, Cliff

Foss and Cliff, my one was not about leaving the HDD out the case, it was basically hanging two IDE cables out, one connected to the motherboard and one to the HDD. One would have a socket on it, one a normal connector (although sockets are very hard to find). You can then choose to have the HDD connected to the Toppy, or connect the bit of cable hanging out to your firewire/USB-IDE bridge (found in an external HDD enclosure).

Keep these cables as short as possible, and of course another issue to think about is that the Toppy needs to be switched on to power up the drive, but it will probably bitterly complain about not having a HDD connected to its bus. But this solution is good for the casual copier that doesn't want to keep removing the drive all the time, this kind of person will want the mega-Fossil caddy special (esp given he has 2 toppies!).

Regards

Hi Cliff...I was not offended...I just thought I would comment on your post incase some folks were discouraged from taking their Toppy to the next level...

I have my setup so that no drives are in the Toppy and I can plug any of my four drives into either of my 2 Toppies or plug any of the drives into either of the 2 caddies that are attached to my Laptop and can copy from Toppy drive to Toppy drive or to or from the Toppy drive and the PC.

The caddies make it possible to exchange drives in about 10 seconds....1 drive out, 1 drive in and then plug into either the Toppy or the PC

Hmmmm...thats enough rambling...

I have done quite a few posts on this topic, in this forum and the Toppy one....trouble is, some folks will see the repetition, some folks will see it for the first time, and some folks won't see it at all....but at the risk of repeating things, I still post about it so that people can get the fantastic use out of their Toppy that I do...if they want to...

foss

Hi again,

Sorry for causing any offence Fossil.  My intent was simply to let others know where they could find a bit more info on what the utility was for - this is the first post I had seen about it.  Glad that it works so well you:)

Tony's suggestion is a good one about leaving the HDD permanently of out of the case.  That would certainly cut down on the mucking on and would have an added advantage of making it easy to switch over HDDs if one had filled up.

Also, I hadn't considered the uses for uploading data back to the Topfield, so I can see how Fossils idea of exporting home movies and DVDs could be quite handy.

In my own set up, the PC is in a room next to the TV so I tend to play stuff back to the TV via the PC or burn stuff onto a DVD and use a standalone DVD player.  My main requirement is simply to get off the occassional show off the Topfield for archiving - to HDD or DVD.  Personally it doesn't bother me waiting 20 minutes for an hour show to tranfer across.

I guess we all have our own requirements, so once again, I'm sure there will many who will find the application quite useful:)

Cheers,  Cliff

Yes Tony I knew what you were getting at...I was just commenting that if you lengthen the cable any more than it's 2-3 inches that you will need 80 wire cable.

My comment is about this portion of one of your posts in quotes below...I have found that if you lengthen the distance between the Mother board and the drive, you need 80 wire cable for the 40 pin plug...There is a standard cable that has 80 wires and 40 pins.

foss

""This method was used for my DVD player, I haven't tried it on the Toppy yet but can't see why it wouldn't work. Keep the cables as short as possible and probably upgrade to 80pin cabling (although finding 80pin cabling with a socket rather than plug is going to be impossible, the bit with the socket will just have to be the normal 40pin IDE cable"""

foss

Foss and Cliff, my one was not about leaving the HDD out the case, it was basically hanging two IDE cables out, one connected to the motherboard and one to the HDD.   One would have a socket on it, one a normal connector (although sockets are very hard to find).   You can then choose to have the HDD connected to the Toppy, or connect the bit of cable hanging out to your firewire/USB-IDE bridge (found in an external HDD enclosure).

Keep these cables as short as possible, and of course another issue to think about is that the Toppy needs to be switched on to power up the drive, but it will probably bitterly complain about not having a HDD connected to its bus.    But this solution is good for the casual copier that doesn't want to keep removing the drive all the time, this kind of person will want the mega-Fossil caddy special (esp given he has 2 toppies!).

Regards