Philips 32PW9527 comments?

Hi all,

Just started looking for a new TV. My eleven year old Sony goes green every few minutes--yuck.

It's been a long time since I've looked at TVs, so I naturally thought the plasmas and LCDs were the "thing". However, I walked into VideoPro Indooroopilly and saw a Philips 32PW9527 and it had the most amazing depth I've ever seen on a TV. Is this normal for 100Hz TVs?

I understand that many people had problems with the 9527 but the 9528 gets good reviews. I don't really know what the difference is though.

Does anyone have any comments about these TVs? Are there even nicer pictures than this? They wanted $2499 for the 9527. I don't want to spend much more than that.

My number one interest is picture. I don't play games or hook up my computer to the TV and we only watch DVDs a few times a month. We have Foxtel and are considering Foxtel Digital.

Sorry to ramble. Like to hear other's thoughts.

Thanks. :blink:

I have the 36PW9527 and have been happy with it although there are limitations you need to be aware of before you buy.

Plusses

Excellent analogue picture from broadcast, even makes VHS look half decent

Excellent picture from DVD and SD STB via component or S-video although you need to switch DNR off.

Very stable picture in above uses, no flickering, handles motion well and natural colour.

Minusses

The only HD picture these sets will accept is 576p but the result is worse than SD at 576i. All 576p does is introduce flickering which to my eyes is very annoying and ruins the picture stability of 100hz. The 1080i input is at 60hz which is no use in Australia which uses 50hz.

I don't know what ouput Foxtel digital provides.

Summary

These sets are well worth considering if you don't need HD. If you do, the premium Sony or Panasonic CRTs would be a better bet although the Panasonic at least is reportedly a poor performer from a VCR source. I chose the Philips because of its PQ with analogue and SD - there is almost nothing broadcast in HD that I watch at to make it a factor in my decision.

Incidentally neither the 32 or 36PW9527 are currently listed on Philips website. I suspect large premium CRTs are a dying breed with the growth in plasma/LCD. While runout stocks last, the remaining premium CRTs are good value.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...