visionplus black bars

The black bars are a 'feature' of digital TV. Namely everything on digital TV is broadcast in widescreen thus if you view digital TV on a 4:3 display device (ie your computer monitor) then there will be black bars top and bottom (also called letterbox) to preserve the aspect ratio.

If you want to remove the black bars you can zoom into the picture and crop detail off the sides of the image. However you cannot do this with the supplied Visionplus software (you'll need DigitalWatch).

but i still cant get rid of it when connected to my 16:9 tv?

It does not change the picture if i change the ratio in the right click menu.

what about windows would i have to tell it its widescreen?

still letterboxed on widesreen tv

Get powerstrip and set your display resolution to a 16:9 format but leave it with the same timings as used by 4:3. ie take the timings from say 1024x768 but change the dots to 1280x720 or whatever resolution your equipment happy with. Then set VisionDTV to full screen mode. On a 4:3 display it will be out of AR, but on a 16:9 display it will be full screen correct AR without letterboxing. Pillarboxing is still possible, but thats because the program is acutally a 4:3 program on a 16:9 space.

but i still cant get rid of it when connected to my 16:9 tv?

It does not change the picture if i change the ratio in the right click menu.

what about windows would i have to tell it its widescreen?

still letterboxed on widesreen tv

How are you getting the signal to the tv? if you're using a vga or dvi connection then follow DrP's suggestion. If you're using composite or s-video then you are most likely restricted to 4:3 display resolutions. In this case if you have digitalwatch you can change the display aspect ratio in settings.ini to fix the problem, but the picture on the computer monitor will then be tall and skinny.