Pioneer 435 panels

Anyone heard any good reports coming out of UK about the 5th generation 435 series plasmas. Apparently "What Hi Fi" gave it a 3/5 compared to the previous generation 434 series a 5/5 score. According to the article in last mondays SMH Guide it will be coming in at a lower price line. Does this mean a drop in performance compared to the older series or just more effecient manufacturing?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked out a few forums in the UK. People are giving the PQ the thumbs up but say the panel does not have the same quality look as the 434.

The 434 can be bought for around $7900.00 at the moment (I just bought one). I thought about waiting for the 435, but had heard that with the price drop from the 434 to the 435 there was a bit of a "quality" drop too.

Stephen

Certainly the 434 seems good value at that price, I wonder how far it will go down? whats the cheapest 504 you have seen? $10000 is the best I've seen. Certainly the 435 is a unknown factor at the momement and early reports are not that encouraging, maybe the 434/504 will become a bit of a classic.

PS Check the service menu on your 434 to ensure you are not buying floor (demonstrator)stock ie hour meter.

I did so much research before I bought my 434, and at $7900.00 I'm happy with the price. $10500.00 was bit too much for my liking as the original price. I was waiting for the Panasonic Viera, but after looking at it in several stores the Pioneer was still so much better, and had a lot more features (HDMI for one). I'm still in awe of the picture quality and clarity...and the sound quality is great (before I run it through my NAD AV Receiver and Bose speakers). I had a Grundig Cinaro prior, and was told it's hard to beat good quality CRT TV's for picture quality. The Pioneer 434 excels even on SD. With HD it's amazing. I'm 110% happy with my choice. As for the 435.. I thought i'd "strike while the irons hot" and get a decent plasma. The reports I've read on the 435 weren't that flatering. I guess time will tell.

Stephen

I did so much research before I bought my 434, and at $7900.00 I'm happy with the price.

do you happen to live in melbourne, and if so, where did you purchase it from?

hmm, considering one of these if there's a good run-out price to be had. :blink:

I did so much research before I bought my 434, and at $7900.00 I'm happy with the price.

do you happen to live in melbourne, and if so, where did you purchase it from?

hmm, considering one of these if there's a good run-out price to be had. :blink:

Do owners of the 434 Pio's notice judder problems that others report and that I have seen at every in store setup or is there a way around this?

I wondered if it would go away if fed a progressive signal (720p or 576p) or if there are other settings that influence it.

Early reports from the USA indicate that the 435 and 505 suffer from this as well!

I notice it on pans and steady motion as a 'stepping' effect rather than a smooth pan.

Does the 434/435 accept 720p at 50 hz?

I cant find evidence of this either way.

I want this panel but need to know that this judder is fixable!!

Dan.

Do owners of the 434 Pio's notice judder problems that others report and that I have seen at every in store setup or is there a way around this?

I noticed this judder effect in stores set ups too (both 434 and 504). Not severe, but enough to catch your eye to notice that something isn't right.

I ended up getting the 504 and must confess that I've never noticed the effect on my home setup (touch wood). I'm using s-video and component connections. Maybe it's a DVI issue?

Couldn't find anything in the manual (434 and 504 have same manual), about acceptable component inputs...just a bunch of stuff for PC XGA connections.

Cliff

I noticed this judder effect in stores set ups too (both 434 and 504). Not severe, but enough to catch your eye to notice that something isn't right.

I ended up getting the 504 and must confess that I've never noticed the effect on my home setup (touch wood). I'm using s-video and component connections. Maybe it's a DVI issue?

Couldn't find anything in the manual (434 and 504 have same manual), about acceptable component inputs...just a bunch of stuff for PC XGA connections.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

What dvd and stb are you using (progressive or interlaced)??

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Panasonic DVD player DVD-S35. Interlaced. Component.

Strong 5290 SD STB. Interlaced. S-video.

Topfield 5000PVRt SD STB. Interlaced. Component.

PC via VGA connector. 5m cable, so don't think picture is what is should be...tends to be soft.

PC via DVI-HDMI cable. Buggered if I can get this to work properly - scaling issues. Have to sit down and read up on how to get this stuff to work.

Cliff

that seems a good price. i rang a melb store, and over the phone he said he could 'probably' do it for under $8K but wouldn't negotiate over the phone (so i may pay them a visit).

he also told me the pioneer rep was in their store yesterday, claiming the 435 won't be available now till after New Year! huh?

:blink:

he also told me the pioneer rep was in their store yesterday, claiming the 435 won't be available now till after New Year! huh?

I phoned Pioneer a few months ago when I first heard about the new release of the 435 and 505. Got the same story - probably Jan 2005. I think the last series (434 adn 504) came out around Feb 2004, so it probably seems reasonable...12 months between releases.

I phoned Pioneer a few months ago when I first heard about the new release of the 435 and 505. Got the same story - probably Jan 2005. I think the last series (434 adn 504) came out around Feb 2004, so it probably seems reasonable...12 months between releases.

Just to repeat my earlier question does anybody know if the 434 or 435 or 504/5 accept 720p at 50 hz?

Also do any other owners agree with Cliff that there is no noticable judder when properly setup or is it much the samme as you see in the stores with the slightly jumpy pans?

Dan.

Hi guys I am a proud owner of the 433 but please stop with the prices you paid....I paid $14400 for mine 18 months ago and still paying it off :blink:

Anyone have the PAL progressive problems with the 434?

How do you access the service menu? I would be interested to see how many hours I have ticked over.

Jason The following instructions are for a 434. not sure if they work on the 433. Have the display and multimedia box in standby mode (ie the red light is on ) hold the display button for a couple of seconds and then left ,up, left, right and hit the standby button. The panel will come on and display the menu over any input incuding the tuner. then just use the arrow key to go through the readings. Turn it off when you are finished and next time you turn it on it will be back to normal.

Jason  The following instructions are for a 434. not sure if they work on the 433. Have the display and multimedia box in standby mode (ie the red light is on ) hold the display button for a couple of seconds and then left ,up, left, right and hit the standby button. The panel will come on and display the menu over any input incuding the tuner. then just use the arrow key to go through the readings. Turn it off when you are finished and next time you turn it on it will be back to normal.

Hey Scanman and Steve I thanks for the input, looks like the shop setup is to blame. I went to HN Marion today and the pios looked bright but lts of noise in pic and clay faces compared to the NEC but I think it could be fixed with a calibration or some trial and error. Why do they look so bad in the shops?

Dan. :blink:

Jason  The following instructions are for a 434. not sure if they work on the 433. Have the display and multimedia box in standby mode (ie the red light is on ) hold the display button for a couple of seconds and then left ,up, left, right and hit the standby button. The panel will come on and display the menu over any input incuding the tuner. then just use the arrow key to go through the readings. Turn it off when you are finished and next time you turn it on it will be back to normal.

Hey Scanman and Steve I thanks for the input, looks like the shop setup is to blame. I went to HN Marion today and the pios looked bright but lts of noise in pic and clay faces compared to the NEC but I think it could be fixed with a calibration or some trial and error. Why do they look so bad in the shops?

No matter what you do Clay face will be there its not a calibration issue its a spec issue

No matter what you do Clay face will be there its not a calibration issue its a spec issue

It will be interesting to see whether the 435's are better re clay faces and solarisation as they have a higher colour spec than the 434.

I really prefer the media box as I am wall mounting and the nec is a bit messy side on. Otherwise it is no doubt best I have seen!

dan.

So do any of you guys have problems with PAL progressive from a DVD player?

Not all disks are affected but most PAL DVDs are, when playing a PAL DVD in progressive mode the picture at the top of the screen is bent to the right, NTSC DVDs no problem.

When I got the progressive DVD player and found the problem all pioneer could say is PAL progressive wasn't a supported format.

I would be interested to know if they have fixed the problem, if they have maybe there is a firmware update...... :blink:

Which button is the display button? I couldn't find any pictures of the remote for the 434 so I don't know if its the same as the old one. My remote has AXD1463 on it.

To turn on I need to hit any of the numbers on the remote.

Having said that, I tried a few different button but nothing happened.