TV died last night and only just out of warranty

The new 50" NEC Plasma is due for delivery this week, and as if it knew that its services would no longer be required (at least as number 1 TV), the 76cm Metz Artos that I've had for 3 years and 6 weeks decided to stop working last night! No bad burning smell or noise, it just turned itself off (standby light and all), and refused to work again. Only 6 weeks out of the warranty period which annoys the hell out of me :blink: . Now to find out if it can possibly be done under warranty (its only 6 weeks out for crying out loud, and cost $4200), and if not, how much it will cost to fix. The hard part will be lugging it to the service agent in Doncaster. This TV is heavy! Anyone got any experiences/stories regarding just out of warranty items that they'd care to share?

this kind of thing happened once to me with my panasonic crt TV (just out of warranty) I used to have - now gone to parents since we got a plasma.

One morning it just would not switch on. I spoke to a TV repair man and being a sunday morning he wasn't too interested in coming out and suggested If I disconnect the power cord and pull the back off I should see a fuse in a fuse holder. He said it sounded like it had just blown its fuse. He suggested I take the fuse down to tandy and get a replacement. I did as suggested went down to tandy, bought a fuse for about $1.50 and hey presto our TV was up and running - it has since been working well without missing a beat for the last 8 years!.

Now I'm not suggesting you take the back off your metz artos - which is a pretty complex beast in comparison to our 10year plus old panasonic. What i'm suggesting is firstly find out if the service agent has a call out service. secondly have your hopes up this might just be the case of a blown fuse and your TV might be up and going in the matter of minutes.

By the way the fuse I bought came with a spare - which I safely stored away just incase this happened to us again. Do you think I'd have any idea where I put that spare!

this kind of thing happened once to me with my panasonic crt TV (just out of warranty) I used to have - now gone to parents since we got a plasma.

One morning it just would not switch on. I spoke to a TV repair man and being a sunday morning he wasn't too interested in coming out and suggested If I disconnect the power cord and pull the back off I should see a fuse in a fuse holder. He said it sounded like it had just blown its fuse. He suggested I take the fuse down to tandy and get a replacement. I did as suggested went down to tandy, bought a fuse for about $1.50 and hey presto our TV was up and running - it has since been working well without missing a beat for the last 8 years!.

Now I'm not suggesting you take the back off your metz artos - which is a pretty complex beast in comparison to our 10year plus old panasonic. What i'm suggesting is firstly find out if the service agent has a call out service. secondly have your hopes up this might just be the case of a blown fuse and your TV might be up and going in the matter of minutes.

By the way the fuse I bought came with a spare - which I safely stored away just incase this happened to us again. Do you think I'd have any idea where I put that spare!

Thanks for the suggestion, if only it was a fuse, it would make my life a whole lot easier. I did take the back off, located a fuse (hope there is only 1, couldn't see any more) and tested it with a multimeter. It seemed fine.

Further to my story, this TV has been repaired once before (under insurance) because it took a 20000 volt surge when a drunk driver smashed into a power pole about 18 months ago. I have the feeling that this could have contributed to its early demise, but that would be awfully hard to prove.

Thanks for the suggestion, if only it was a fuse, it would make my life a whole lot easier. I did take the back off, located a fuse (hope there is only 1, couldn't see any more) and tested it with a multimeter. It seemed fine.

Further to my story, this TV has been repaired once before (under insurance) because it took a 20000 volt surge when a drunk driver smashed into a power pole about 18 months ago. I have the feeling that this could have contributed to its early demise, but that would be awfully hard to prove.

hmmm...doesn't sound good. Do you have any come back on insurance. Some insurance policies do cover complete failure of electrical equipment. My parents got a new ac on insurance when their old one died after 15-20 years!

Since the power surge, we've changed insurance providers as the way it was handled by the last mob was pathetic. We were without the Metz for 3 months while they tried to repair it. We always had to be on their case to see what was happening, their communication was woeful. I'm not too hopeful about Insurance covering this breakdown, but I will follow it up as an option. There are other things to do first though, hopefully it can still be covered under warranty because 6 weeks out of warranty is rather rough to turn your back on a customer.

Since the power surge, we've changed insurance providers as the way it was handled by the last mob was pathetic.  We were without the Metz for 3 months while they tried to repair it.  We always had to be on their case to see what was happening, their communication was woeful.  I'm not too hopeful about Insurance covering this breakdown, but I will follow it up as an option.  There are other things to do first though, hopefully it can still be covered under warranty because 6 weeks out of warranty is rather rough to turn your back on a customer.

3 freakin months!!! :blink:

I suppose you could always try the line that the warranty period hasn't ended yet, since you lost 3 months while they had it (certainly worth a try, and maybe even correct - I'm not an expert on consumer law, though!)

Statutory Conditions:

Merchantable Quality

The goods must meet a basic level of quality and performance that one would expect, bearing in mind the price and the manner in which the goods were described. For example, you would expect a new TV to last more than a year. If you bought a TV with a 12 month express warranty from the manufacturer and a problem developed soon after a year, you would still be protected by your implied warranty rights, and the manufacturer may be obligated to fix it free of charge or provide you with a refund.

You might be in luck.

I found this on http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/consumeradvice/w...conditions.html

There would be similar in your state.

Cheers,

Bitey

Statutory Conditions:

Merchantable Quality

The goods must meet a basic level of quality and performance that one would expect, bearing in mind the price and the manner in which the goods were described. For example, you would expect a new TV to last more than a year. If you bought a TV with a 12 month express warranty from the manufacturer and a problem developed soon after a year, you would still be protected by your implied warranty rights, and the manufacturer may be obligated to fix it free of charge or provide you with a refund.

You might be in luck.

I found this on http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/consumeradvice/w...conditions.html

There would be similar in your state.

Cheers,

Bitey

Unfortunately that wont apply if the problem was not due to the design/production of the TV.

Having gone through an ordeal of my sony plasma dying and being unrepairable after 22months, I was glad to find that implied warranty protection laws had my butt covered in my case, my original warranty was only 12 months. But from what I gathered implied warranty will only cover you if the unit is unrepairable or the cost of repair is more than brand new replacement cost. In my case the the fault occured withing the plasma glass which made it unrepairable, generally though if you contact the manufacturer about it they know about implied warranties and they will usually issue you a replacement unit. It's cheaper for them otherwise under law they have to give you a full refund.

But in your case I'm not sure implied warranty is applicable.

How long is the Warranty for the 50" Plasma?  Because of the shorter life of Plasmas (no debates please!), do they honour extended Warranties on these devices any where?  If so, get it just in case you're unlucky again...

I got my hitachi plasma from HN with a 5 yr extended warranty for the peace of mind. I'd recommend the same to anyone else buying a plasma. I want at least 5 years out of this thing. After that anything more is a bonus.

The new 50" NEC Plasma is due for delivery this week, and as if it knew that its services would  no longer be required (at least as number 1 TV), the 76cm Metz Artos that I've had for 3 years and 6 weeks decided to stop working last night!  No bad burning smell or noise, it just turned itself off (standby light and all), and refused to work again.  Only 6 weeks out of the warranty period which annoys the hell out of me  :blink: .  Now to find out if it can possibly be done under warranty (its only 6 weeks out for crying out loud, and cost $4200), and if not, how much it will cost to fix.  The hard part will be lugging it to the service agent in Doncaster.  This TV is heavy!  Anyone got any experiences/stories regarding just out of warranty items that they'd care to share?

Hi there,

If I was you I would get in contact with the distributors (www.audioproducts.com.au) and ask them " politely" if they could look after you being only 6 weeks out. In most cases they do. But if your complaining how heavy the tv is, I hate to see when your plasma goes faulty out of warranty. :P

The new 50" NEC Plasma is due for delivery this week, and as if it knew that its services would  no longer be required (at least as number 1 TV), the 76cm Metz Artos that I've had for 3 years and 6 weeks decided to stop working last night!  No bad burning smell or noise, it just turned itself off (standby light and all), and refused to work again.  Only 6 weeks out of the warranty period which annoys the hell out of me  :blink: .  Now to find out if it can possibly be done under warranty (its only 6 weeks out for crying out loud, and cost $4200), and if not, how much it will cost to fix.  The hard part will be lugging it to the service agent in Doncaster.  This TV is heavy!  Anyone got any experiences/stories regarding just out of warranty items that they'd care to share?

Hi there,

If I was you I would get in contact with the distributors (www.audioproducts.com.au) and ask them " politely" if they could look after you being only 6 weeks out. In most cases they do. But if your complaining how heavy the tv is, I hate to see when your plasma goes faulty out of warranty. :P

My plasmas extended warranty is an inhome one. that said I brought my plasma home in the back seat of the car. Have kept it box so if ever had to transport this would not be a drama. the thing only weighs around the 30 kg or under. thats the bonus of buying a 37" plasma I guess. but yes not sure ho youd transport a 50" you'd need a ute a big van I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update as to what is going on with my Metz TV for anyone interested. I've been told by the authorised repairer that it will be done under warranty, however they are waiting on parts to come from Germany. ETA is a couple of weeks. This is fine as I'm not missing it since the 50" NEC Plasma arrived the day after the Metz quit working. It's nice to see them helping me out when technically (it was 6 weeks out of warranty according to purchase date on the invoice) they could have told me to go away.