New Toppy Firmware

Discrete ON= macro of discrete OFF followed by the power toggle.

Simple!

I believe this won't disturb current recordings or timers because the Topfield will ask if you wish to cancel the recording. I might have to test this though, as I am wondering whether the power toggle will override the pop-up on the screen....

You know, I have thought that I was imagining things (given the complaints about the component levels), but I have discovered something wierd some time ago that I may as well share here.

I have no probs with the levels using RGB (of course!), but I feed the Toppy composite output via a 10m composite cable into my PC AV input, and have a little 480x288 window up watching the Toppy while on the PC (the PC monitor is at 1600x1200, so the window looks pretty small). Now the quality of this little window and view is never too crash hot, and the contrasts and levels etc are never right (due to the Asus AV-in Live software I am using). But... sometimes I notice the Toppy menu has nice contrast, and sometimes it is "blooming" with just too much saturation or brightness or something, esp the light blue bits that end up almost looking white.

Now... this is the wierd bit...

When I use my "Backup Settings" tap, do a backup, then do a restore, the colours and saturation changes at the end of the restore, the screen gets a little darker, and then the menu system looks good again!

Someone else with svid or component and who aren't happy with the performance should try this TAP of mine, and see if it does the same thing to a decent sized screen, and see if it looks any better? Then see if a power cycle or some other factor triggers the oversaturation, and this may then be able to let us give the Koreans/and/or Topfield Australia some tips about why so many people are having issues... perhaps there really is some option that is changing the switching IC (in the SCART/AV/etc output) gain that isn't sticking properly.

Regards

Edited by tonymy01

I just did some more experimenting with this last night, and you don't need to run my TAP to change the brightness/contrast, simply toggle the output option (svid/yuv/rgb/comp) and it knocks the Toppy composite output back to a better contrast?? This looks like some wierd bug.

I still haven't worked out whether it slowly drifts back, is a power cycle or whatever to make it bad again.

Regards

hmm, thats interesting tony, since I ONLY watch the toppy on my PC.

I've starting playing with dscaler for watching as well, which while it uses more CPU power then windvr, it does seam to look better.

Still, I will have to have a look and then switch ouput to something else and then back to svid and see what happens.