What's wrong with Channel Nine PQ

I recently got a HD plasma (43") and since then I've noticed some programs on Channel 9 have a very poor picture quality. I use a Topfield 5000PVRt as my STB.

The material appears grainy and skins tones on moving faces look patchy. Also when a face turns it appears like the eyes take a fraction of a second to catch up with the rest of the face. Its really noticable on close-ups.

I've noticed it on Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise. It was really obvious on Patriot Games last night. Ads seem to be ok and it only appears to be some programmes.

At first I thought it was the plasmas fault but other channels are fine. In fact the picture is stunning...including flesh tones.

I never noticed this with my 68cm Sony CRT so maybe these artifacts are only visible on bigger displays.

Could it be something to do with the way Channel Nine MPEG encode these programmes or something.

Any one else notice this problem?

I recently got a HD plasma (43") and since then I've noticed some programs on Channel 9 have a very poor picture quality.  I use a Topfield 5000PVRt as my STB.

The material appears grainy and skins tones on moving faces look patchy.  Also when a face turns it appears like the eyes take a fraction of  a second to catch up with the rest of the face.  Its really noticable on close-ups.

I've noticed it on Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise.  It was really obvious on Patriot Games last night.  Ads seem to be ok and it only appears to be some programmes.

At first I thought it was the plasmas fault but other channels are fine.  In fact the picture is stunning...including flesh tones.

I never noticed this with my 68cm Sony CRT so maybe these artifacts are only visible on bigger displays.

Could it be something to do with the way Channel Nine MPEG encode these programmes or something.

Prehaps you should get a HD STB. Your plasma would be upconverting everything from 720x576 to the plasmas native reolution and at 43" it can look nasty.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the info you wanted:

Plasma resolution: 1024x768

Toppy connection: S-Video (I'm hoping to upgrade this to RGB soon as that's the best signal the Toppy can output)

DVI input on Plasma: Yes, but no good in this case as Toppy has no DVI output

I too thought it may be the plasma upscaling causing the problem but like I said it only seems to be Channel Nine and only certain programmes. I would expect the problem to be on all Channels and all programmes if it was the upscaling.

DVDs are fine too...

I think you'll find it is just a compression artefact. I too noticed the effect on Patriot Games I think it is posterization ( http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/Vide...terization.html ). This is on a Visionplus DTV tuner card on a 19" CRT monitor.

So is this related to the plasma being set to 100Hz. If I set it back to 50Hz will the problem go away?

I'll try tonight and see what happens

I recently got a HD plasma (43") and since then I've noticed some programs on Channel 9 have a very poor picture quality.  I use a Topfield 5000PVRt as my STB.

The material appears grainy and skins tones on moving faces look patchy.  Also when a face turns it appears like the eyes take a fraction of  a second to catch up with the rest of the face.  Its really noticable on close-ups.

I've noticed it on Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise.  It was really obvious on Patriot Games last night.  Ads seem to be ok and it only appears to be some programmes.

At first I thought it was the plasmas fault but other channels are fine.  In fact the picture is stunning...including flesh tones.

I also notice (what I think is awful MPEG encoding) problems on Nine SD and HD, particularly with their sports broadcasts. For example, the NRL grand final was even worse in HD via component than it was in SD via S-Video. All HD Plasmas simply show all of the flaws in the source material because they can! So you can almost forget about all of the technical explanations - higher definition and better connections just makes crappy source material look exponentially worse. So let's hope for an improvement on the broadcasting side.