WIN TV and their Digital HD Test Loop

I was in Orange last week at a friends house and saw the WIN HD Loop on Channel 80. Looked very impressive on his Sony 86cm HDTV. No sound but lovely picture.

I know that this HD Loop is running in Wollongong, Canberra, Orange and other WIN Regional Areas in NSW including Victoria from posts I've read on the different forums. However we don't have it available in Wagga Wagga. I know that Griffith don't have it either but then again they don't even have a real DTV Service. Only retransmission of Analog feed from Digital Transmitter because of a lack of a Digital bearer between Wollongong and Mt Bingar. But that's another story.

Anyway does anyone know the reason why Wagga Wagga missed out? The only thing I can think of is a lack of Bearer capacity between Wagga Wagga and Canberra.

I guess I'll have to make a pest of myself and ring WIN in either Wollongong or Canberra. I tried the WIN Office in Wagga Wagga and that was a waste of time and effort.

Thanks for any info.

Kindest Regards

Mark

Mark - our digital coveraga has got even sillier - with the Prime coverage out of the loop - we are now getting SCB = Seven Central Broadcasting - from Central queensland - so the ads are great - mostly QLD = and NT.

Still no news from WIN about the Griffith upgrade to real digital - though I have got 2 letters from Dept of Telecommunications about the issue - though will no dobt have to wait until after the election for a real response - if ever.

njd

sorry its southern cross broadcasting - the seven central channel - which is qld/nt - which seems to be everywhere - who knows what is going on here. hey we might even end up with capital - now that would be novel.

sorry its southern cross broadcasting - the seven central channel - which is qld/nt - which seems to be everywhere - who knows what is going on here. hey we might even end up with capital - now that would be novel.

Hi Nev,

Thanks for the update. That's very strange of them just putting the Satellite Feed from Southern Cross Central directly into the Digital Transmitter at Mt Bingar without adding their own commercials & promos. However it means that the quality would be much better than if the signal went thru the crappy equipment at the Studio at Griffith so they could insert their own commercials & promos.

Your talking about this server are you not:

http://www.southerncrossbroadcasting.com.a...pagename=tv.htm

I'm guessing it is Southern Cross Central service your getting which is a Seven Network source, which is a satellite delivered service with coverage throughout the Northern Territory, rural Queensland and parts of NSW, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.

Is there any Widescreen Programming or just 4:3. I'm guessing just 4:3.

Anyway look at it this way, at least the picture quality would be better than before with this service. I'm guessing the normal "WIN" service they are broadcasting out of the Digital Transmitter still looks like crap?

For those of you who are reading this and don't know what Nev & I are talking about read this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1&st=&p=entry

Bottom line is that WIN TV (Griffith Pty Ltd) isn't broadcasting proper Digital TV but rather just retransmitting their Analog feed from the Digital Transmitter because they can't get a Digital Bearer from Wollongong playout centre to Mt Bingar Transmitter. They are also Multi-Channelling both their WIN & Prime "Digital Services" on VHF Channel 6 rather than each service having their own transmitter (WIN Digital is supposed to be on VHF 6 & Prime Digital is supposed to be on UHF 30)

Mark

Hi Mark

No they are insert ads - though they don't catch all the ad breaks - so it is going through their system - its still 4:3 - though th e tags for some of th eshows clearly indicates that some shows are available in widescreen and HD - though that could just be the SEVEN feed - I don't know - no explanation it just happens - I assume that their normal feed is down somewhere - maybe they are fixing it for digital - you would never know.

The local retailers still have no idea of displaying digital - you go into the local stores and they are still showing analogue - even though the abc and sbs are broadcasting widescreen much of th etime - so it is perfect for showing off a widescreen display. So we will never get a move to change the local broadcaster if no one is pushing for change.

njd :blink:

Hi Nev,

Well I'm sure that sometime in the future you will get real Digital TV (with Widescreen) in Griffith/MIA. "It won't happen over night, but it will happen" :blink:

Can't do much about these retailers. They do the same in Wagga Wagga as well. I was hoping that having the WIN HD Demo Channel would prompted them into action but I think I'm dreaming. I was in Sydney the other week and all the big retailers in the City, Myer, DJ's were showing either Analog TV (with very bad ghosting) or playing DVD's on their Widescreen CRT & Plasma Displays. Not one single Digital TV source showing.

I finally contacted someone at WIN about the HD Demo Channel, and they said that they are "Slowly" Rolling it out across the whole Country:

Queensland

New South Wales

Victoria

South Australia

Tasmania

Western Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Couldn't give me any timeframe as there are lots of Bearers & Digital Transmitters to reconfigure and test. As I quoted before "It won't happen over night, but it will happen" :P

I should be thankful for what we have (and I am) as it is a lot better than what you guys have in Griffith & the MIA.

Kindest Regards

Mark