Andy Cullen's MP3 JukeBox TAP v4.4 & up

oz3d

I had reason to write to Andy re his brilliant progress bar MP3 jukebox function, and he said that apart from me there has been no response to his implementation of the function which has improved the usefulness of the Toppy for me.

I have a number of MP3's divided up into playlists not exceeding the limits in the instructions from Andy and the TAP works superbly - another success for the Topfield and the creativity of the TAP programmers. :blink:

Try it you will be pleasantly surprised because although the Toppy will not let you easily choose files individually (and limits the number of individual choices), Andy’s random choice or sequential play on chosen play lists makes the limitation almost insignificant.

To answer your question, I don't ever see myself using the MP3 playback functionality. All my MP3s are ripped from original CDs that sit right next to the Toppy. I can get better audio quality by putting the CD into my CD player and going straight to the amp.

I suppose people who have large amounts of leeched MP3s may have more use for such functionality.

To answer your question, I don't ever see myself using the MP3 playback functionality. All my MP3s are ripped from original CDs that sit right next to the Toppy. I can get better audio quality by putting the CD into my CD player and going straight to the amp.

I suppose people who have large amounts of leeched MP3s may have more use for such functionality.

Most of my 200 odd CD's are also MP3's and it is very convenient to have many of them sorted by playlists in one spot played through the audio system.

Or... possibly those who do not have a CD player right next to their Toppy

Or... possibily those who prefer to have the files all in one place

It is a supurb function which is very useful and actually adds to the value of the Toppy.

Boy, it was a strain not using "holier-than-thou" and "troll" within the context of this post.

Hmm I guess I am a bad person.

I save all my CD's as 'evil' "high quality - variable bitrate" MP3's. I copy them to the topfield, and whilst listening to these MP3's I use the slideshow tap to show some of my 'evil' scanned in pictures on my television.

I hadn't heard about this evil-empire tool, so I shall download it so that I am further breaking the law.

I'm not quite sure why this thread is now talking about the ridiculous propaganda that the likes of RIAA would have the public believe. As far as I am concerned, the RIAA and anyone else advocating any form of DRM can go and get.

For me, the deciding factor is quality. Even the best MP3 encoders and highest bitrates can't deal with some of my music. Take for example a CD such as Chronologie. The psychoacoustic compression completely decimates the depth and definition of the music. Given the choice of MP3 or CD source, I will pick the CD. Now, given that all of my MP3s came from the CDs, there's no reason for me to use the Toppy to play MP3s at home. But that's just me. It's another story at work, where the listening equipment does not have enough fidelity to make such a big difference and the original CDs are not handy. But then, I don't have a Toppy at work, I use a computer instead.

I'm not quite sure why this thread is now talking about the ridiculous propaganda that the likes of RIAA would have the public believe.

My guess is that it might have all followed from the statement "I suppose people who have large amounts of leeched MP3s may have more use for such functionality".

We should return to the topic which was to ask whether the TAP was being used for MP3's and there have been some interesting responses.

We should return to the topic which was to ask whether the TAP was being used for MP3's and there have been some interesting responses.

Probably but have a look at this first, it sums up the RIAA attitude (warning VERY offensive but SFW):

http://www.webclot.com/images/riaa.jpg

I've got a heap of MP3's on my Toppy and will give the playlist thing a go when I get a chance.

V.