dvb-350 or dvb-420

Tony2

What is the opinion on which is the better stb? They both are about the same price. I think the dvb-420 can have a composite and svhs output at the same time - but I'm not certain about that. The dvb-350 definately cant. The 420 seems to have some problems with noise on the audio when changing channels.

Grabbed a 350 yesterday and a coax audio out today. I've used the SCART cable to connect to my VCR, and I have to say the design of the cables makes it a problem to connect the coax cable. The SCART cable bends at an angle that is obtrusive to a comfortable fit for the coax cable.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the other model, but I thought I'd let you know. Having said that, I have everything plugged in and working fine, but not without a bit of force.

Chris.

Guest brodymulry
I have the 350.  Noticed in the KMArt catalogue that the 420 has a channel up/down button on front.

This would have been VERY handy when I took the device to my parents but forgot my remote.

Can I use the SCART output, and the standard RCA (composite, the yellow cable) at the same time? In reguards to the B420 model? Also, can I use the digital output and standard RCA (white and red) audio cables at the same time aswell? Or will the bloody unit explode? :blink:

yes you can use Scart output at the same time as composite on the 420. I often record shows i'm wathcing this way. As for the sound, you can hook up optical and RCA at the same time but not play them at the same time. You have to choose one or the other via the sound menu, however if there is a show that is in AC3 and the next show is in stereo it will automatically revert to RCA and vice versa.

Brent:)

Guest brodymulry
yes you can use Scart output at the same time as composite on the 420.  I often record shows i'm wathcing this way.  As for the sound, you can hook up optical and RCA at the same time but not play them at the same time.  You have to choose one or the other via the sound menu, however if there is a show that is in AC3 and the next show is in stereo it will automatically revert to RCA and vice versa.

Brent:)

Okay, thanks for that. It is handy thgat you can use scart output, at the same time as rca. Here is a question, what is the difference between optical and coxial sound imput? As I have noticed from Jaycar that you can get a optical to coxial converter, as my reciever does not have two optical jacks. Sound wise, what really is the difference?

No difference sound wise, it's just a different physical transport for the signal. Both use PCM or Dolby AC3 for the sound encoding, depending on what you set the output to.

Of course, there are some people who spend shitloads of money on digital interconnects because it sounds `warmer', `fruitier', `brighter', or any word you can think of.

If you haven't already decided on a STB, definitely go with the 420. I've had both models, and both have issues, but the 420 is definitely the pick since it doesn't freeze anywhere near as much as the 350, and doesnt drop channels. Also the component video out has better gamma (component video gamma is too high on DV-B350).

Guest brodymulry
No difference sound wise, it's just a different physical transport for the signal. Both use PCM or Dolby AC3 for the sound encoding, depending on what you set the output to.

Of course, there are some people who spend shitloads of money on digital interconnects because it sounds `warmer', `fruitier', `brighter', or any word you can think of.

Fruitier.....humm thats very eccentric! So basically there is no difference, other than some hocus pocus?

If you haven't already decided on a STB, definitely go with the 420.  I've had both models, and both have issues, but the 420 is definitely the pick since it doesn't freeze anywhere near as much as the 350, and doesnt drop channels.  Also the component video out has better gamma (component video gamma is too high on DV-B350).

Oh, I already own a B420, and it is a very good unit. :blink: Just wondering if I could use my reciever to "recieve" sound and video from my B420, however since you can use Scart and RCA at the same time, but not audio, it seems pointless now to put it into my reciever.