Toshiba 32SW8UA

What do people think of this 76cm HD crt?

I was tv shopping today and this seemed to be the cheapest of the 76cm HD CRTs (except for palsonic etc). Was going to get it for 2k cash (Adelaide price :blink:).

I'm also considering the KVHR32M31/KVHX32M31 sony's, and the 200a panasonic. Nobody seems to want to do a very good deal on the panasonic in Adelaide though so it was a bit expensive, and the lack of 1080i 60hz puts me off (i want to use it for xbox)

Which leaves the two sony's.. the KVHR32M31 (super fine pitch) was a bit out of my price range and didnt seem to be worth it over the KVHX32M31 to my eyes.

So that leaves the Toshiba vs the Sony KVHX32M31. Havent seen much talk about the toshiba tv though, and lots about the panasonic and sonys.

Kabal

These are the two tv's i am considering. :blink:

I need to do more testing on both models with dvd sd fta and hd fta. My initial impressions were that the picture on both were good.

I am leaning toward the toshiba due to its compact size and asthetics.

One thing does consern me though. The tosh is made in in china where as the sony is made in japan.

Where in adelaide can you get it for 2k?

Regards

Daywalker

Do a close comparison between the panasonic, sony and the tosh you mention on fta and you'd have to toshiba out of contention.

Not sure where you guys are but at megamart in chadstone melbourne they have had these three TVs, set up right next to each other to do a propoer comparison.

I found the sony to have the best picture (best resolves fine detail), the panasonic is a very close second (just looses some of the fine detail) and with the toshiba fine details are just totally lost and theres also you will find all sorts of digital garbage on the screen you will just not see on either the sony or panasonic (think this is because the tosh uses some pretty severe digital processing - digital hyper to try and upscale everthing on screen and making a bit of a mess of it in the process).

Yes the toshiba is chinese made and my bet is it is coming out of the same factory as the palsonic, DEC and Rank areana sets that also have the toshiba HD tube in them.

Go the panasonic or the sony. The sony does have the better picture but is pretty bulky and a bit more expensive. The other thing I noticed with the panasonic was that it has a very dark front glass - to give it very good blacks and contrast but then you need to turn up all the settings to compensate and in some scenes I thought it still looked a bit dark in comparison.

Kabal,

The Toshiba 32SW8UA is a superceded model with very poor reviews here. It apparently uses the same tube/chassis as the Palsonic (and other 'made in china' cheapies) but with poorer PQ than the clones.

On the other hand, the newer 32SW9UA is a completely different beast and has fantastic PQ when set up properly (it is certainly comparable to the Sony KVHR and Pana 200A models from what I have seen of them all).

There are only 3 things I don't like (so far) about the SW9:

• The cabinet design (looks like a plastic toy to my taste)
  • The price (seems to be harder to find and haggle over)
  • The setup (haven't been able to find a cooperative retailer in Brisbane who will set one up properly for a 'true' audition)

2i cents,

Ian

alebonau

I would have to agree that the sony seems to resolve fine detail very well and is very good in dark scenes.

The scene in the FOTR just before they enter Bree. Very dark, I saw things i had never seen before. One of the charcters is in the backround when they are standing under a tree, I could clearly see his face in the shadows. On my current tv he is just a black blob. The detail in Rivendell was also stunning.

I was put off by the panasonic because some people are having problems with geometry. I also noticed digital artifacs when watching sd fta running 100hertz. The acuity processing 75hertz/833i also left a halo effect around moving objects when watching dvd.

I think i am talking myself into the sony. :blink:

I would still audition the tosh and turn off as much processing as posible to see if it made any difference.

Regards

Daywalker

I thought the only difference between the 32SW8UA and 32SW9UA was the SD card slot? I'm not even 100% sure on which one I was looking at :blink:

I was just looking at them all again (harvey norman marion). The Panasonic looks crappy to me (could be their setup). I just didnt like it at all and it doesnt do 1080i @ 60hz, or 720p so i've scratched it off my list anyway.

I still cant see the difference between either of the sony's (HX/HR). Both of them seem to overscan *a lot* on the ch9 hd loop? You could only see the top half maybe of the ch9 logo. Sony was definitely the king of SD.

The Toshiba still looks good to me even with the negative comments here. It had a sharper (maybe less natural) look than the sony's that I quite liked. SD wasn't the best but i'm not too worried about that as long as my xbox and dvd's look good :P

kabal

when i was researching these tvs about 3wks ago - in adelaide

I found the pana 200a for 2350 - without much haggling. Huge price differences around - myer was like 2999, jbhifi was 2799

im not sure whether i got it lower than that, but im sure if i tried harder i could get it less

sony hx model for 2499, hr model was too expensive - but a lot better picture - even better than 200a panasonic

Kabal,

I bought a 32SW9UA in July 2004 ($2899 from Retravision) and so far I am a very satisfied owner. :blink: This is after a Sony 59cm whose CRT did not last beyond 7 years. I'm viewing Foxtel Digital via a powered RGB to component converter (Cypress CY-2100) and all I can say is that the picture on my Toshi is crisp and the audio is excellent. The key to getting the best picture out of this set is to reduce the sharpness setting to a zero rating (or negative) - I found that several units at retailers had the sharpness turned up too high for my liking which did have an undesirable effect on artifacts, etc.

My understanding is that Toshiba's Chinese plant is in Dalian, Liaoning Province, which is hundreds of kilometres away from where the Palsonics are made, at the Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co., Ltd., (XOCECO) plant in Xiamen, Fujian Province. Both plants share the Toshiba picture tube.

The times are a changin' my friends and the Chinese are now capable of high quality and technological excellence, be it televisions, putting a man in space or anything else. And I should know because it is my job to import thousands of tonnes of Chinese chemicals and pharmaceuticals to Australia each year.

Regards,

Cobalt Blue

The times are a changin' my friends and the Chinese are now capable of high quality and technological excellence, be it televisions, putting a man in space or anything else. And I should know because it is my job to import thousands of tonnes of Chinese chemicals and pharmaceuticals to Australia each year.
This seems like an opportune moment to add my [Off Topic] 2i cents to China's defence!

I lived in Hong Kong and did business in China for many years (first in the mid-70s until last in the late-90s). Back in the 70s, the label 'Made in HK' translated to 'cheap and shoddy' - but by the mid-80s the label 'Made in HK' was a talisman of quality and was generally found on many of the best known brands and designer labels. The reason for this change was two-fold: massive investment in the best manufacturing equipment by individual factory owners; and, better quality control by the overseas companies that ordered the stuff to be made to their own designs and specs.

China has now gone through the same transformation and I would not hesitate to buy anything 'Made in China' if it appeared to offer the functionality I need - because I would assume that the build quality was as good as from anywhere else (though I still use my own eyes to judge these things, rather than just accepting anti-China slogans).

For me, however, a label 'Designed in China' would still be a major turnoff! (Sorry, China ;-).

2i cents,

Ian

Daywalker,

The Digital Hyper has the effect of smoothing out the scanning lines. The only drawback that I can see is that rapid movement can result in some smudging - this is evident when a newsreader moves his or her head.

The 100 Hz setting results in less smudging and of course reduced screen flicker. From where I sit I actually do not find the scanning lines that noticeable, so I normally choose the 100 Hz setting.

My source material is SD Foxtel Digital. I haven't run 1080i through this set - I haven't had the motivation to purchase a HD STB. I think part of the reason is that SD looks good enough anyway. However I get the impression that it do 1080i well.

I am one of the old school who believes in the ability of CRTs to produce superior picture quality to most other displays. My neigbour down the road has a 42" Hitachi plasma running through a LG HD STB and based on my viewing experience my opinion is not about to change.

Regards,

Cobalt Blue

I am one of the old school who believes in the ability of CRTs to produce superior picture quality to most other displays.

I think you'll find most people agree with you, although losing that rock-solid CRT picture with those great blacks can easily be an acceptable trade-off for many people as they're gaining perfect geometry, a larger screen size and a smaller impact on their rooms real-estate - but thats all discussion for another day. :blink:

well personally i think the Tosh is a great tv. I'm buying the 32sw9ua at Myer Adelaide today for $2700 with SD STB. But I'm only getting the TV because its the only one that will fit in my dam cabinet which my woman wont let me get rid of. Otherwise i would have probably bought a sony but thats only because I can buy them at wholesale prices.

I've only seen the Tosh a couple of times and from what I've seen I wont dissapointed. Its gonna crap all over my 7 year old 68cm trinitron!

Truscott will also do the 9ua for $2699 in case anyone is wondering and hardley normal will do the 8ua for $2499 but thats without bargaining and HN dont like selling the 9ua for some reason, probably trying to clear stock of the 8ua i reckon.

Like a few of you. I do believe the CRT tv's offer great value and much better PQ than most plasma's or LCD's. I have a friend who bought the new 50" Pioneer plasma. Its good, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. But LCD's will be great, when the price comes down and by then the PQ will be better too.

I was in a similar situation as Pig...... needed a compact sized 76cm widescreen to fit my current cabinet as i also had WAP (wife approval problem)

The Sony HR was too big and heavy (r u listening Sony?) Almost got the Pana 200a but thanks to the valuable feedbacks by some of you guys decided it wasnt worth the risk of getting a bad one (mind you it does have a good PQ)

When i first saw the Toshi I thought it looked ugly and didnt focus too much on the PQ but its size and weight specs were perfect for my needs so i looked a little closer and found what i believe to be the best HD fine pitch CRT tele on the market.

The colours i get from it are superb sharp strong bright yet natural.

Running the nine HD loop from a S25 box was as stunning a picture as i have seen on anything before.

Im not a reviewer so i wont harp on too much but i can say im totally happy with this teles PQ performance and general features (freeze frame / split screen viewing / search... you can see what is on ALL the other channels at the same time)

Lastly but not leastly...... im not sure if this will make sense but here goes ...

in side by side comparisons ive noticed i could be watching the same source on 3 different teles , say free to air news for example , and one tele stands out as the best (while the newsreader is on) then it would switch to ads and suddenly the other tele looks better and the first tele now looks ordinary (still with me?).......ive put this down to how each tele handles and displays a crappy source signal. Well i found that over a set period of comparing the Toshi to the Sony to the Pana to the Phillips, even though each had the best PQ at different times, the Toshi had a better PQ over a longer period of time ........ i think what i mean is that the Toshi is able to "upscale", digitally filter or whatever it does to a crappy analouge source to a better level than the others and the key word is "consistenly"

Of course all viewing comparisons are subject to each individuals tastes and expectations etc, but based on my specific needs and demands ill agree with the Castel/Toshiba rep i met at one store when i asked him "how come i can get the price of the Pana and the Sony down but i cant seem to be able to haggle the Toshis price down" he said " cos its a F******g good tele" and after owning one for over a month now i totally agree with him.

Cheers