Melbourne Reception in Regional Victoria

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you can get Melbourne TV normally, Where I am in Seymour We don't get either, and Digital Tv setups in places like Broadford have had to have some level of recepion, noisy, but watchable is a good start.

For an idea of the coverage, checkout the ABC transmission coverage maps (in the "Tuning In" section). You'll find this is about 100km from Melbourne, as yarraw mentioned.

I'm in Ballarat (about 110 km NW of Melbourne), and receive a perfect picture from all the digital channels transmitted here.

I'm not sure why anyone here would also want to pick up Melbourne transmissions, unless one wants to view Ch7/Prime (not digital until 2005).

I think the signal would have to be really strong (no pun intended) for the STB to tune it in.

mungaman,

Read my post,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...1&st=&p=entry

Your request is possible but expensive, if you are in a valley forget it.

You will need a Hills CA16, http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/VHFAntenna.pdf

Masthead amplifier Kingray MHV44HLG B3 44 dB B4-5 10 dB + Power supply PSK08

http://www.gme.net.au/matv/mastheads.html

15 m telomast http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/Mastinglo.pdf

Expertise to install it.

To connect your local antenna, after the amplifier you need a

Kingray DP0UV B1-3/4-5

http://www.gme.net.au/matv/filters_diplexers.html

I have not included Melbourne community TV or SBS. The SBS you have is identical.

AlanH

Innuendo,

im recieving all Melbourne VHF digital transmissions from MT Dandenong in Traralgon with minimal dropouts most of the time, I do need a masthead amp to recieve as it is very poor without

I am going to try the opposite here from Outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I think its going to be a difficult task. However, I can currently pick up a very snowy but watchable Ten Vic signal and very very average Win and Prime on my current combined VHF/UHF antenna. I have a perfect clear view to Mt Dandenong which means the signal is making it over the hill somewhat.

I have a 26 element UHF antenna hanging around that I will install this weekend, but I am waiting to find a Kingray MHU34FS mast head amp otherwise I think it will be pointless. I might also have to upgrade the antenna to one of those 91 element "deep fringe" jobs. Dunno if i'll get the digital versions yet, but will be happy with watchable analogue for next years footy season.

Danny,

All,

To anyone who's ineterested I have tried installing a old UHF high gain antenna I had lying a round combined with a a Kingray UHF masthead amplifier to see if I could actually pull in anything decent from the Latrobe Valley transmitters which I belive are on Mt Tassie from Outer East Melborune.

On the whole, at the moment, I am very dissapointed, but I am not ready to give up.

Just to let you all know the equipment.

VHF/UHF combined antenna bottom.

UHF high gain antenna top, approx 25 elements.

GME Kinaray MHU34FS amplifier (Sheilded UHF only model with F connectors).

GME Kingray PSK08 (F connector version).

All cabling is duel-shield RG6 with crimped F conenctors, F wall plates etc.

Its split to 3 points via sheilded F spluitterin the roof. (Before the setup this was fed with a F FM trap to as analogue signals are swamped with interference)

I already had the antenna from years ago. I picked up the masthead amp and power supply for $67.

My analogue Melbourne reception as you would imagine from the photo is perfect, and infact I need an F attenuator to pickup digital as the receiver gets overloaded.

Before the UHF antenna and amp, even the comnibed antenna was able to just pick up the Latrobe regionals, and Southern Cross TEN was even watchable at times, even if it was very snowy.

Anyway, I put up the antenna and amp and have only a slightly better picture on southern cross, and even then, I think the antenna did most of the work. Not even a lick of the regional digital's. To boot, I also now have problems getting a clean analogue picture on VHF, the amp seems to stuff it up even though its only amplifying the UHF singnal, which also makes analogue SBS and 31 from Mt Dandenong too strong (but still fine on digital).

Any more than about 25% gain on the amp seems to just over load the TV's even on the snowy regional channels, infact I can see no real improvment. I also seem to get a white roling bar througth the picture, the instructions simply say try a differnt model power supply PSK06 because of 'Mains isolation", very helpful)

Here are some pictures of the setup and the picture from Southern Cross analogue.

http://home.aanet.com.au/zoltrix/

Any suggestions? Surely there is some mroe TV DX'ers out there?

All,

To anyone who's ineterested I have tried installing a old UHF high gain antenna I had lying a round combined with a a Kingray UHF masthead amplifier to see if I could actually pull in anything decent from the Latrobe Valley transmitters which I belive are on Mt Tassie from Outer East Melborune.

On the whole, at the moment, I am very dissapointed, but I am not ready to give up.

Just to let you all know the equipment.

VHF/UHF combined antenna bottom.

UHF high gain antenna top, approx 25 elements.

GME Kinaray MHU34FS amplifier (Sheilded UHF only model with F connectors).

GME Kingray PSK08 (F connector version).

All cabling is duel-shield RG6 with crimped F conenctors, F wall plates etc.

Its split to 3 points via sheilded F spluitterin the roof.  (Before the setup this was fed with a F FM trap to as analogue signals are swamped with interference)

I already had the antenna from years ago.  I picked up the masthead amp and power supply for $67.

My analogue Melbourne reception as you would imagine from the photo is perfect, and infact I need an F attenuator to pickup digital as the receiver gets overloaded.

Before the UHF antenna and amp, even the comnibed antenna was able to just pick up the Latrobe regionals, and Southern Cross TEN was even watchable at times, even if it was very snowy.

Anyway, I put up the antenna and amp and have only a slightly better picture on southern cross, and even then, I think the antenna did most of the work.  Not even a lick of the regional digital's.  To boot, I also now have problems getting a clean analogue picture on VHF, the amp seems to stuff it up even though its only amplifying the UHF singnal, which also makes analogue SBS and 31 from Mt Dandenong too strong (but still fine on digital).

Any more than about 25% gain on the amp seems to just over load the TV's even on the snowy regional channels, infact I can see no real improvment.  I also seem to get  a white roling bar througth the picture, the instructions simply say try a differnt model power supply PSK06 because of 'Mains isolation", very helpful)

Here are some pictures of the setup and the picture from Southern Cross analogue.

http://home.aanet.com.au/zoltrix/

Any suggestions? Surely there is some mroe TV DX'ers out there?

Danny,

The antenna you are using is a Band 4 only model (Hills TC18). Try an antenna that's designed for Ch 28 - 50 (Matchmaster and Hills sell them), and I reckon you'll have a picture that's easy to watch. My guess is that SBS 34 from Latrobe Vly is very clear on your current set-up.

Soap.

DannyR,

The Latrobe Valley digital channels are, or will be;

Latrobe Valley

ABLV (ABC (2)) 42 SBS (3) 30 AMV (Prime (6)) 33 GLV (Southern Cross (5)) 39 VTV (WIN(8)) 36 Spare 45, 48

SBS30 National 543.5 MHz

GLV39 Commercial 606.5 MHz

ABLV42 National 627.375 H OD 400kW 38 24 2 South 146 33 48 East

ABLV NTL Broadcast Tower MT TASSIE.

The antenna group required is Band 4+

Melbourne

SBS29 National 536.625 H OD 200kW 37 50 11 South 145 20 50 East

Mt Tassie is 124 km SE of Mt Dandenong.

Your old UHF antenna is probably band 4 so is only designed to receive SBS

The photo appears that the antennas are in the same direction. So unless you are south east of Mt Tassie this would be incorrect. If this was the case then Mt Tassie would be much stronger.

The image appears to me to only have one whiter horizontal bar present and a finer pattern.

If there is only one whiter bar then the power supply is not at fault, it is received power mains. Can you see any pictures from another channel in the background? The fine pattern looks like AM radio interference.

Depending on location this would be my solution

Hills SF91 B4+ 13-18 dB or

Matchmaster 02MM-DR18B ≤14 dB or

Wisi EB66 Ch 31-47 ≤16.5 dB

The other option is a phased UHF array

Hills Super Hunter 11.5-15 dB or

Wisi EE06 ≤13.5 dB

I would connect the masthead amplifier to the output of this antenna only.

The output of the VHF/UHF combo should be connected along with the amplifier output to a splitter. Input to the TV/VCR/STB line, the power pass output to the masthead amplifier and the other output to the last antenna.

The interference on the Melbourne pictures could be reduced by replacing that antenna with a Hills SMX24 B4+ B3, 7-9 dB; B4+, 8-16 dB. It is not designed to receive FM or channels below channel 6. (ABC digital Melbourne is on channel 12, analog TVs and VCR will miss out. However an identical analog repeat is on Mt Tassie channel 40 ) This reduces the likelyhood of receiving mains or AM interference because only two short elements can pick it up. This installation must use Quad shielded RG6 cables and F connectors.

http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/UHFAntenna.pdf

http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/Com...FUHFAntenna.pdf

http://server160.plusserver.de/osiris_addo...b4bc58/EE06.pdf (B4 & B5 Phased array)

http://www.matchmaster.com.au/Pdf/spec-on-dr18ab.pdf (B4, B4+)

AlanH

Hi alanh,

Thanks very much for your input. I have made some changes with your suggestions.

Firstly the combo antenna, I should let you know Digital AND analogue recption are mint of this antenna with an F connector FM trap before the splitter. Its only the amp that stuffs things up. Anyway I have moved this antenna completely off the mast and shoved inside my roof cavity and wired it up exactly as I had before and everything is still perfect, the wife is also happy that she no longer has to look at a huge ugly antenna.

I have then as you suggested ran only the UHF antenna on the amp and ran a brand new coax to the back of my main TV that is hooked straight into the TV tuner (not via the VCR/digital which is still hooked up to the old system) so that I can experiment and stuff around with the combo antenna completely out the equation and working fine for everything else.

Well, **** a brick, the amp is still giving me greif, even on absolute minimum gain, I get a better result with just the UHF antenna by passing the amp. So I am going to need some more hints on the amp issue, like I said, its now using the DC power supply and I still have line issues, I might have to film it with my digital camera so that you can see what it looks like.

However, with some pointing of the UHF antenna, I have manged to get colour WIN and again a reasonable Southern Cross signal that could be watchable if you were desperate. As you mentioned, yes, the SBS signal on 34 is the best I can get, the ABC from latrobe is there also. Still not even a lick on digital. This may be good news seeing as the antenna is not tuned for the correct band like you said.

I am gouing to buy one of those antennas you mentioned, I really think I may get something useable with that, even without the mast head amp.

Can you have a look at this site:

Skandia Electronics

They are near my work and pretty much do trade prices to the public. They have a very simmilar looking 91 element UHF deep fringe antenna, do you think that will be fine?

Thanks again.

Danny.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi alanh,

Thanks very much for your input.  I have made some changes with your suggestions.

Firstly the combo antenna, I should let you know Digital AND analogue recption are mint of this antenna with an F connector FM trap before the splitter.  Its only the amp that stuffs things up.  Anyway I have moved this antenna completely off the mast and shoved inside my roof cavity and wired it up exactly as I had before and everything is still perfect, the wife is also happy that she no longer has to look at a huge ugly antenna.

I have then as you suggested ran only the UHF antenna on the amp and ran a brand new coax to the back of my main TV that is hooked straight into the TV tuner (not via the VCR/digital which is still hooked up to the old system) so that I can experiment and stuff around with the combo antenna completely out the equation and working fine for everything else.

Well, **** a brick, the amp is still giving me greif, even on absolute minimum gain, I get a better result with just the UHF antenna by passing the amp.  So I am going to need some more hints on the amp issue, like I said, its now using the DC power supply and I still have line issues, I might have to film it with my digital camera so that you can see what it looks like.

However, with some pointing of the UHF antenna, I have manged to get colour WIN and again a reasonable Southern Cross signal that could be watchable if you were desperate.  As you mentioned, yes, the SBS signal on 34 is the best I can get, the ABC from latrobe is there also.  Still not even a lick on digital.  This may be good news seeing as the antenna is not tuned for the correct band like you said.

I am gouing to buy one of those antennas you mentioned, I really think I may get something useable with that, even without the mast head amp.

Can you have a look at this site:

Skandia Electronics

They are near my work and pretty much do trade prices to the public.  They have a very simmilar looking 91 element UHF deep fringe antenna, do you think that will be fine?

Thanks again.

Danny.

DannyR,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holidays.

The best option for you is J603798 the UHF Hunter Phased array, it is made by Hills. For its specifications check http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/UHFAntenna.pdf

This antenna is best for long distance reception. In the Skandia picture it is mounted for vertical polarisation, you need to install it as it is shown in the Hills picture.

As for the amplifier there are some question marks here.What happens if you turn the gain up? Is there any change?

There is a more sensitive amplifier the Kingray MHU44G although it doesn't appear to have the options for F connectors and shielding. This may not be an issue if you are not near a tram line!

For your info, Mt Tassie is 150 km from the Como Centre in South Yarra. The bearing is 115 degrees.

AlanH

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holidays.

The best option for you is J603798 the UHF Hunter Phased array, it is made by Hills. For its specifications check http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/catalog/UHFAntenna.pdf

This antenna is best for long distance reception. In the Skandia picture it is mounted for vertical polarisation, you need to install it as it is shown in the Hills picture.

As for the amplifier there are some question marks here.What happens if you turn the gain up? Is there any change?

There is a more sensitive amplifier the Kingray MHU44G although it doesn't appear to have the options for F connectors and shielding. This may not be an issue if you are not near a tram line!

For your info, Mt Tassie is 150 km from the Como Centre in South Yarra. The bearing is 115 degrees.

AlanH

Thanks again for the reply.

Funny you have just replied, I have just started fiddling again!

I actually got so annoyed with the amp, I just took it out of the plastic case and joined the coax with a F joiner and started experimenting with the antenna alignment, after much fiddling, I manged to get a watchable if quite snowy Sourthern Cross, colour but shocking WIN and a good but B&W Prime. The results from SC gave me encouragement.

I decided to upgrade the anttenna first, but asked around one of my freinds has one the 91 element UHF antennas lying around but I haven't been able to get it yet. So I havn't progressed any further with that.

However, tonight, I was feeling a little energetic so decided to give the amp another go! BAM at about 30% gain I now have an almost usable picture on all three commercials! I have no idea what was causing the interferance, but increasing the gain any further does the kind of damage the amp used to do just being conencted at 0% gain before! Perhaps being so close to Mt Dandenong causes the amp to overload if not adjust exactly right, I did read it was one of the biggest transmission sites in the southern hemisphere. From the improvement it has made, I would say it would be impossible without using the amp.

So I am very happy now, the picture still isn't what I would call really watchable, but I think with the high gain antenna, we might actually be in business.

On your antenna recommendation, I heard yagi's are better for horizonal reception where as phased arrays are better for vertical.

Here is a picture for prime at the moment.

http://home.aanet.com.au/zoltrix/Prime.jpg

On the digital front, no luck at all, the STB will not even get a reading from anything on UHF except for UHF41 and UHF50, which is either the Ferntree Gully/Selby or Upwey translator for Seven Melbourne and SBS. Still impressive to get that from here, FTG is in a hole and a good 20Km from here, without the amp, it would not lock on.

The digital aspect is pretty dispointing as my ultimate aim is the get the digital versions for perfect pictures. Does anyone know if WIN or SC10 are running full power from Mt Tassie yet? You see, analogue signals from the FTG are basically mud, so if I can manage to get a digital signal from their, I am really supprised I can't get digital from Mt Tassie right now. It lead me to belive power outputs must be turned down still.

Danny.

DannyR,

The reason I recommended a phased array is that it will have a wide angle sensitivity in the horizontal direction and restricted sensitivity in the vertical direction when mounted for horizontal polarisation. If you watch the sun come up over the sea you will see a bright line. you wish to capture all of that if the frequency was in the TV range not light.

With that type of antenna you could alway try Bendigo or Ballarat.

AlanH

Thanks again Alan.

I'll give this freeby antenna go first and then decide what to try next. perhaps even running two 91 element UHF yagi's togther in a phased array.

I have emailed SC10 about their transmitter and they still are not runnign full power, but I don't know aboyut the ABC/SBS or WIN, so that gives some hope that the other digital stations are currently on low power and thats why I can't receive them yet.

The email from the friendly SC10 engineer believes it will be December before they start at full tilt.

Danny.

• 5 weeks later...

Danny,

Hundreds of people in the Melbourne area can receive TV from regional areas, if not Gippsland (Mt Tassie) then Bendigo (Mt Alexandra). The signals are too weak for some but with the right antenna many get 45dBuV, and off they go. Adding a high gain amp might sound like a good idea, but in your case you have channels 28, 29 (and possibly 31) thundering into the amp and overloading it's output - on all channels! You can consider band selective amps and filters to clean it up, but its not cheap. A good way to Keep It Simple is to hook the antenna you have directly to the TV via 1 piece of good cox. If you can see snowy pictures, some of the filters etc. might help.

• 1 month later...

All,

Well some more progress. Just been given a free 91 element UHF YAGI to try, It think its made by Sutton?

Anyway, have been able to increase analogue picture useability quite a bit but still really struggleing with digital. However, rather than nothing, I now have been able to just get a lock on SC10 Gippsland, but its un watchable, barely a frame of video every few seconds. Last time I checked, SC10 was still waiting to go hopefully full power in December, that may not have happened yet.

I might have to take the plunge for a Hunter phased array. I noticed these antennas are quite small, does anyone think you could use two together an "array of arrays'". If so, how would you hook it up and would you put them side by side (ie one long horizontal antenna as follows.

-------------------------------------

| \/ \/ \/ \/ |----| \/ \/ \/ \/ |

| /\ /\ /\ /\ |----| /\ /\ /\ /\ |

-------------------------------------

or would they need to be stacked up vertically?

Also, it maybe that my STB just has poor sensitivity to low level signals. Can anyone recomend a STB with excellent results in with poor signals?

BTW, I have had confirmation that both WIN digital and SC10 digital are running on full power from Mt Tassie.

regards,

Danny.

Haven't replied to this thread before as I thought it old and probably dead. How wrong I was!

Receiving the Mt Tassie Gippsland transmitter is very doable from many parts of Melbourne because it is one of the largest transmitters in the country.

We have sold thousands of Fracarro 20/4046 for this service over the years because it has high gain just where it is needed and is low in cost. In fact the ABC @ Ripponlea uses our Fracarro antennas for all their off air monitors including Gippsland.

The big problem for much of the Eastern Suburbs of Melb. is that the very strong Ch28, 29 (and 31) signals tend to overload mast amplifiers. A filter is needed or an amp that rejects those lower channels. Both are items we sell for this purpose regularly.

It is probably a suffern brand antenna you have, made by poor old Bob himself. With respect I think you need to have the right gear for the job - and if that cost you little thats great, but it is also a recipe for compromise which can lead to failure to achieve your objectives.

Haven't replied to this thread before as I thought it old and probably dead.  How wrong I was!

Receiving the Mt Tassie Gippsland transmitter is very doable from many parts of Melbourne because it is one of the largest transmitters in the country.

We have sold thousands of Fracarro 20/4046 for this service over the years because it has high gain just where it is needed and is low in cost.  In fact the ABC @ Ripponlea uses our Fracarro antennas for all their off air monitors including Gippsland.

The big problem for much of the Eastern Suburbs of Melb. is that the very strong Ch28, 29 (and 31) signals tend to overload mast amplifiers.  A filter is needed or an amp that rejects those lower channels.  Both are items we sell for this purpose regularly.

It is probably a suffern brand antenna you have, made by poor old Bob himself.  With respect I think you need to have the right gear for the job - and if that cost you little thats great, but it is also a recipe for compromise which can lead to failure to achieve your objectives.

Well I came home to tonight, flicked the STB to "SC10 Gippsland" and I was getting a solid picture 90% of the time, so its obvious that this is do-able. I could even lock ABC Victoria into the STB (with no picture), but strangely, still nothing on WIN.

Anyway, Im ready to give this a red hot go. I have looked at the laceys catelog and seen the narrow band Fracarro antenna you are talking about, approimately how much does an antenna like that go for? And what about these filters to remove 28/29/31 inteference?

Also, if you were to stack two of the 20/4046's could you use a simple F splitter in reverse to do that?

I am also confused about why the 20/4046 is correct antenna, the main channels I would want to receive from mt Tassie are digital Prime(33), Win(36) and SC10(39), doesn that antenna cover channels 40-46 or as it says in the fracarro catelog (which only seems to show the 10 element version with 11dB gain) 622-678Mhz. 33-39 actually seems to fall in the range of 562-604 making the 20/3539 (582-622) a much closer match. How much gain does the 20 element version have?

BTW, thanks for your input.

Danny.

Good questions DannyR, hope I can give right answers.

Lock should = pictures, so be careful that the 90% is not simply the strong signals you are getting from Mt.D. How are channels 43 and 46 (analogue)??

Picking the right antenna is certainly tricky. 20/4046 was the model that best suited analogue reception of Win & Prime from Gippsland. With most gain up the top end it worked very well still doing a good job of the lower channels. You could be right that the 20/3539 would do a better job, please check the freq./channel response chart in the Laceys.tv catalogue.

Blocking channels up to 31 and passing channels 33 up is tricky as they are so close. Sorry I was thinking of analogue from Gippy. We do have filters that can help but I don't have details with me after hours.

Same with pricing, if call into Melbourne they should ba able to help you.

Stacking only earns you 3dB, if done properly. 1 antenna will get you enough signal to know how you are going to go. Stacking might help 'tidy it up' at a later stage. A splitter is useful as a stacking coupler, but as movement of the ferrite can change the coupling point, it could be best to use a proper stacking coupler.

Good questions DannyR, hope I can give right answers.

Lock should = pictures, so be careful that the 90% is not simply the strong signals you are getting from Mt.D.  How are channels 43 and 46 (analogue)??

Picking the right antenna is certainly tricky.  20/4046 was the model that best suited analogue reception of Win & Prime from Gippsland.  With most gain up the top end it worked very well still doing a good job of the lower channels.  You could be right that the 20/3539 would do a better job, please check the freq./channel response chart in the Laceys.tv catalogue.

Blocking channels up to 31 and passing channels 33 up is tricky as they are so close.  Sorry I was thinking of analogue from Gippy.  We do have filters that can help but I don't have details with me after hours.

Same with pricing, if call into Melbourne they should ba able to help you.

Stacking only earns you 3dB, if done properly.  1 antenna will get you enough signal to know how you are going to go.  Stacking might help 'tidy it up' at a later stage.  A splitter is useful as a stacking coupler, but as movement of the ferrite can change the coupling point, it could be best to use a proper stacking coupler.

Okay, thanks again.

I checked the chart in the catelog and the 20/3539 definately will give me the best performance on the lower frequency digital channels from Mt Tassie. Especially on WIN(36) and SC10(39) which are basically the two I am most interested in, very little differrence with Prime and 7, which isn't currently transmitting digital anyway.

I have checked my current antenna and it gives the best gain on the higher frequencies (up in the 50's and 60's) and that explains why I have the best picture on Prime analogue which is on 46.

I have checked the pricing on the 20/3539 and its defintely a lot cheaper than I expected so I will pick one up on the next couple of weeks, and like you say, If I get good results with a few occasional issues, I'll try to stack two of them to improve the situtation. I have also forgot to mention a tree that is also otherwise blocking line of site to Mt Dandenong and the path to Mt Tassie, do you think this one tree would effect it much? I could move the antenna to a less desireable location of the house if I had to.

Danny.

Danny R, the first 3 rules in real estate are the same for antenna. You need to put the antenna where the signal is highest, and you will only find that by trial and error. The signal bar on your receiver might help, but don't trust it blindly as the best of them are not linear and some have 2 conditions, 20% and 80%!

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

I have been to Laceys and installed a Fracaro 20/3539 on my mast and have had some mixed results.

I have tried your suggestion of moving the antenna to different places around the house with no changes in signal strength, but it tunrs out I had the thing pointed in the wrong direction completely! Anyway, there is little differnce in performance between the Suffern and Fracaro, but the Fracaro is much smaller and lighter and I think its and excellently designed quality constructed antenna.

With the tweaking of the antenna direction by a dragging a portable TV onto the roof I have manged to get a 80% signal of SC10, ABC and SBS analogue, these are now REALLY watchable, happy with that. WIN is still dodgy, and Prime is now shocking, but Im not supprised with it being on 46, this antenna looses gain up their. (I am intersted in the digitals really).

Digital is still very dissapointing, I have no better results with SC10 digital still only holds solid 10% of the time, the other 90% of the time is breaking up or more likely nothing at all. ABC digital (which i don't even need being the same as Melbourne) is pretty much the same. WIN digital is still completly non existant. Might have to take the digital box on the roof also, or even try a differnt brand incase it has poor sensitivity. Just for the record, nothing on SBS digital from Mt Tassie either.

I am seriously contemplating trying to stack two 20/3539's. I am guessing its worth buying the fracaro stacking coupler (TM4) and one of the "bull horn bars", should I be using the 900mm or 550mm version? I am a little supprised the stacking coupler doesn't use F connectors, I expected every thing to be sheilded nowadays.

Any help appreciated with the ever expanding experiment.

Danny.

Compare the 2 antennas on the Mt.Tassie analogue channel nearest the ones you want in Digital and decide which antenna is doing the best for you. If the Suffern is the best, use it. But we,ve sold thousands of narrow band FR's to installers in difficult areas because they were the best.

Maybe before you go much further you should get a constant 75Ohm attenuator and check that the response of your box is linear to changes in signal levels. Then this might become a selection criteria for a new box. Otherwise you need at least $3.5k of test equipment to be able to 'know' what you are doing.