Location Location Location

Newbie here , "hotshod" is the name.....

I'm making inquiries on behalf of my octogenarian father. He has entered the Digital TV world with a STB made by DigiCrystal , and I'm acting as an intermeditory for him to sort out this device.

My first question is ..... Does Location make a difference ??

He lives close to racecourse at Benowa, Bamboo Av .

Receives ABC and SBS .... nice picture

Commercials are usually blocky ,sometimes OK, sound ???...... never Ch 9

Antena has some form of amplifier , not too sure on details .....But ABC and SBS looked good before the others went on air, so antena worked OK for them.

All advice would be appreciated , and would it not be a good idea if everyone was to list their location at the top or bottom of each post .

Cheers

Hotshod :ph34r:

Sorry for the confusion , ABC and SBS were working fine before Sept 13 and work well after Sept 13 , no problem ..... so the amped antenna is good for them .....

So would you still consider that the amp should be removed now to create a better signal for the other commercial stations .... that appear a bit blocky .....

Is Benowa a good area for digi reception .....????

cheers

hotshod ..... :ph34r:

Sorry for the confusion , ABC and SBS were working fine before Sept 13 and work well after Sept 13 , no problem ..... so the amped antenna is good for them .....

So would you still consider that the amp should be removed now to create a better signal for the other commercial stations .... that appear a bit blocky .....

Is Benowa a good area for digi reception .....????

cheers

hotshod ..... :ph34r:

Yes, Benowa is a good area for reception. I used to live there. The whole area pretty much has line-of-sight to Mt Tamborine.

The ABC and SBS did not move to the new tower on Sept 13, that's when the commercial's started up. They moved a few days after that however.

Yes, I would definitely try without the amp as it may be causing your problems. You shouldn't need an amp at all in Benowa, especially if you have a good antenna and decent cabling.

Adam

Hotshod,

You haven't indicated what type of antenna your dad is using.

Obviously it has some UHF capability but is it a VHF/UHF combination or purely UHF ?

When you mention ' Blocky ' is that occasionly or is it almost continually ?

Most masthead amplifiers will have a gain control or two,one for UHF and another for VHF.

But before you do anything at all with cabling and anything attached, turn off the TV and unplug it from the wall. This is for safety sake.

Now if you can access the amplifiier, rotate the two little gain controls to half way. This will reduce the signal strength sent to the STB via the amplifier.

Masthead amplifiers with gains set too high can overdrive the front end of a STB,so if the commerial channels reception is variably high,the high gain of the masthead amplifier will 'block' the channels periodicly in accord with high signal strength.

If that is not a cure,it could be impulse noise from a nearby source but that is usually broadband and would likely affect all channels,although it can be channel specific.

Impulse noise is usually of a transient nature and not continuous over extended periods of time,so if this is a continuous abberation then the masthead conclusion is possibly it.While up there, check directional accuracy of the antenna.

If your dad has a VHF/UHF combination antenna it will be more prone to impulse noise so a UHF only antenna is much more desirable for your reception area.

Digital takes a little more tweaking than analogue but the dividends are worth while.

C.M

Both of you,

The Mt Tambourine site has no VHF transmitters. So turn the VHF gain on the amplifier to minimum. It will only amplify noise.

On a recent post on this strand I have listed the channels used. If the real channels which are not received are above channel 36 I would buy a band 5 antenna. I can advise if necessary.

AlanH

Alanh.

Thankyou for your input, but I fully appreciate that Mt. Tamborine is UHF only,as I live up there.

But you are making the assumption that his dad is not relying on analogue signals from Brisbane if he did have a VHF/UHF combo.

Come wet weather in the next few weeks may play havoc with reception on both Digital and Analogue.

At least a blotchy old analogue picture is better than " No Signal ".

Besides,analogue noise does not affect Digital signals apart from the intrusion of Impulse Noise.

We can make assumptions all day and arrive at condesension.

So until we get some feedback then it can only be general advice.

But to make a point here,if the VHF input to the amplifier has no antenna attached then there is no point in turning it to a minimum as noise will be that of the amplifer stage only, and will have no effect on amplified digital signals.

But if he has a VHF/UHF combination antenna then turning it to minimum would be counter productive ------ " No Signal ", and no analogue........No picture.

But if he has a UHF only antenna, then turning the VHF gain to a minimum is of little consequence as analogue noise (hiss) does not affect Digital signals (restating first point).

I took issue to ........"Both of you,....." which was rather condesending,so I highlighted the above ...."But to make a point here,....."

Putting that aside,to quote from 'Hotshod'......

"Antena has some form of amplifier , not too sure on details .....But ABC and SBS looked good before the others went on air, so antena worked OK for them."

There is no indication whether he is receiving signals from Brisbane or........ Mt.Tamborine,we are just assuming he is,as Digital is on both VHF and UHF.

For what it's worth, I use a Jaycar (Cat.LT-3181) 91 element 'X ' UHF antenna,covering bands 4 & 5, channels 21 to 69.

This is connected into a Kingray masthead amplifier with the gain set at maximum, and I live 10 Km's from the MT.Tamborine transmitter site.

I get perfect reception (100%) and no glitches at all,NBN only very rarely suffers from the odd misplaced pixel when the NBN is not received at full signal strength(poor weather).

I don't use RG6 cable or ' F' connectors either though they are recommended.

Every installation differs from the next,the above installation is perfect for my location,not necessarilly right for some where else.

And his first question.......

"My first question is ..... Does Location make a difference ?? "

Indeed it does, 'Position,position,position.'

C.M

( P.S sorry for being so abrupt.)