Teac free set top box offer

I can tell you that the retailers are in desperate need for these products on the shelf. I dont think Teac realised how popular this would make their Tv's. I understand new shipments are still 4 weeks away. Hopefully your retailer made you aware of this at time of purchase. The good news is you WILL get them.

It says on the redemption form 350/420 - I guess they want to get rid of the older stock? afterall who would buy a 350 when the 420 is the same price? :-)

Im happy I got one and it works fine, I note some unusual acitivites when I power up the STB then the TV:

1. TV turns on with a blue screen and a count-down timer thing (5:00 minutes) this image is not stable on the screen (moves around)

2. after about 5 seconds it selects the SCART RGB input (as the STB is on)

3. the SD TV image is very bright, then flicks to a duller image, then to the normal brightness image (over a few seconds)

4. All is well!

Cheers,

Bitey

I just got mine as well! It took about 6 weeks.

Hey any idea why we got the 350's? I was under the impression that they were sending out the 420s.

which is better?

I got mine about 1 wk ago and I'm still trying to figure out how to set it up.... :blink:

I already have a normal foxtel at the moment.. with this new Teac digital set top, how do I link it up so that I can have the digital and have my foxtel at the same time?

Anybody got the same problem?? Anybody managed to solve the problem?? Any suggestions would be good.. please please please....

Else I'll hear no end as to.. "When will this digital thing be fixed?" "Does it actually work?" "Why don't we sell it?" etc etc etc :P

I already have a normal foxtel at the moment.. with this new Teac digital set top, how do I link it up so that I can have the digital and have my foxtel at the same time?

Plug them into seperate AV inputs on the TV ?

The 350 and 420 are very similar units. Main differences is 420 has optical output (also bitmapped subtitles) as opposed to RCA digital output (iirc) and 350 has dual SCART output. Just because the model number is higher doesn't mean it's better.

It says on the redemption form 350/420 - I guess they want to get rid of the older stock? afterall who would buy a 350 when the 420 is the same price? :-)

Im happy I got one and it works fine, I note some unusual acitivites when I power up the STB then the TV:

1. TV turns on with a blue screen and a count-down timer thing (5:00 minutes) this image is not stable on the screen (moves around)

2. after about 5 seconds it selects the SCART RGB input (as the STB is on)

3. the SD TV image is very bright, then flicks to a duller image, then to the normal brightness image (over a few seconds)

4. All is well!

Cheers,

Bitey

I just got mine as well! It took about 6 weeks.

Hey any idea why we got the 350's? I was under the impression that they were sending out the 420s.

which is better?

The SCART has a wire that suppies some sort of power, anyway, when a scart product is turned on, it automattically flicks to EXT1. Its great i think!

oh and the brightness, its a automatic brightness adujstment. I havn't yet worked out how to switch it off.

I got my DVB-350 yesterday, about 6 weeks after I sent off the form. Had to go buy a SCART cable but the picture looks pretty good. I think I have the 14:9 problem mentioned in another thread somewhere, so will have to get that fixed up.

(Incidentally, the easiest way to see that is to look at the channel in the channel list and then by itself - you can see if you are missing the top of the picture. It's most ovbious on the guide channels)

You probably need something similar to what I have (although I don't have Foxtel).

What I've got:

DVB-350 -> TV via SCART-SCART cable into EXT1

PS2 -> Receiver via PS2 Component Cable

PC -> Receiver via Composite

N64 -> Receiver via Composite

Receiver -> TV via dodgy Component SCART Cable into EXT2

Receiver -> TV via Composite into F-AV

That way, to watch DTV, use EXT1 or RGB, the PS2 use YCbCr, others use F-AV.

The only tricky bit is the dodgy Component SCART cable. The one supplied with the TV (I've got the EU2816STF, 66cm Pure Flat) has SCART -> 5 RCA. This cable works, but I get really bad ringing with it. If I watch Family Guy, all the black lines look like white/black/white lines.

You can't just go buy a better SCART -> RGB cable because the pins on the EXT2 socket are wired strangely.

I made a new cable using some RGB cable I got at Jaycar that doesn't quite fit into the SCART plug shell and it looks a lot better. I didn't bother with audio since I use the Receiver for that anyway.

I put up a pinout for the cable here:

Dodgy SCART Wiring

Of course, Foxtel might not even use component for all I know, but this might be useful for someone.

I got my DVB-350 yesterday,

*grumbles*

I got something from TEAC, but it wasn't a box.

Instead it was a letter saying that they're out of stock. Next shipments come in on Oct-10.

Oh well, I'm not in a rush as I bought a teac STB a few days before I bought the TV anyway :blink:

-Shaun

I got my DVB-350 yesterday,

*grumbles*

I got something from TEAC, but it wasn't a box.

Instead it was a letter saying that they're out of stock. Next shipments come in on Oct-10.

Oh well, I'm not in a rush as I bought a teac STB a few days before I bought the TV anyway :blink:

-Shaun

I guess I shouldn't be complaining that it took over 7 weeks then. At least I got it. Beautiful picture, even...can I say it?...perfect. I now have the best reception in the house, I live with four other people and they're clamouring to watch decent TV.

• 4 weeks later...
I just got off the phone from TEAC. They're saying they never recieved my form and reciept.

I sent it off almost as soon as I got my tele. Weird.

I got my 420 in the mail yesterday. Took a little over two weeks.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but included was a letter offering me an upgrade to a 500 model for only $200.

Is that a good price for that model? Reckon it's worth the upgrade?