is the Nebula still the best choice?

Howdy everyone,

I've done a fair bit of reading but would just like to check here with real users, is the nebula PCI card the best choice?

I want HDTV viewing and the ability to downsample and record to dvd for SD playback, and to be able to watch and record ac3 (of course when its actually avaliable) AC3 passthrough while viewing goes via the sound card spdif from what i can see?

A mate mentioned the Nebula software had been updatesd to allow much easier transition to dvd, this true? no point spending 4hrs worth of editing to burn 30 minutes of some crap show the wife wants

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Mark Hathaway

Hi Mark, regarding editing, it doesnt take anywhere near 4 hours to edit ads out. Here is an indication of the time involved for 30 minutes on a decent PC:

1) Demuxing - <10 minutes

2) Editing (4 segments) - 2-5 minutes

3) DVD Authoring, with funky menus and chapters (optional) - 40> minutes (creating the VOB files can be very slow)

I was told there is a brilliant utility called VideoReDo that can pretty do everything above (correct me if im wrong) in a fraction of the time.

As for the Nebula, most people regard the Nebula as the most polished card packed with features - I highly recommend it (and im very fussy with usability and functionality :blink: )

I want HDTV viewing and the ability to downsample and record to dvd for SD playback

No problem. The Nebula can record in DVD Authoring format, so all you need to do is rename it to VOB and create an IFO file, then burn it.

and to be able to watch and record ac3 (of course when its actually avaliable) AC3 passthrough while viewing goes via the sound card spdif from what i can see?

Yes I'm pretty sure the Nebula can do that, I have not tried it myself so maybe MurrayT or HyperReality (on these forums) can be of assistance?

Mark

Congratulations on your first post on the forum !

Not for me to comment on what yur wife may or may not want.

But your're mate probably is right. The last revision of Nebula's DigiTv has an option to record directly to DVD and a feature to convert the broadcasted data to a format able to be authored to DVD. It seems to work fine

Mark

Congratulations on your first post on the forum !

Not for me to comment on what yur wife may or may not want.

But your're mate probably is right. The last revision of Nebula's DigiTv has an option to record directly to DVD and a feature to convert the broadcasted data to a format able to be authored to DVD. It seems to work fine

Direct to DVD? As in writing to a blank disc on the fly, as the program is being broadcast?

In relation to AC3, can somebody tell me if there is anything that I have to do, to make sure that I get the audio when I change channel from one without AC3 to one with AC3?

What happens to me is that the audio drops out, and I have to go in the settings and change the audio PID before it comes back? Is that normal?

Thanks

DZ

Direct to DVD? As in writing to a blank disc on the fly, as the program is being broadcast?

LOL I guess you could set the DigiTV recording folder to a DVD-RAM burner's drive letter and burn a recording on the fly to a DVD-RAM disc (I cant see how this can be done with DVD-R or RW), but it will still be too slow, especially for HDTV recordings.

The quickest way is to record in DVD format on the Hard Disk and when finished, burn the MPG to DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW (but you will need to use DigiTV or PowerDVD/WinDVD to play it back).

Not sure why you say it will be too slow to DVD? I haven't tried it, but don't the commercial DVD recorders allow recording direct to DVD Ram, and also -R?

Unfortunately my DVD burner is not in my HTPC so I am not in a position to try it, but had planned at some point to move the burner across so I could burn straight to media if I wanted..

.\\axxx

Recording to DVD-R cannot be done at the moment from my knowledge, you need special software that can handle on-the-fly DVD-R recording and burn the TOC once the recording has finished.

DVD-RAM works just like a HardDisk so I would imagine a decent speed DVD_RAM drive can record SD on the FLY, HDTV might be too much though.

bazman

I cannot say as I have only compared the Nebula with a V-Stream ( a while back)

but having read a great deal over 15 months I am quite confident that my choice of a Nebula/DigiTv was wise.

Digitalize

With my setup this is automatically handled OK I can't imagine why the application would be at fault here

Samplehead

In referring to direct to DVD I mean recording to HD in a format that is DVD compatible. No doubt what you suggest is possible but I don't wish to stretch the technology at this point

Nac

My system is an MSI 875p FISR2-Neo (I think that is the right code). It has 1G ram 2.8G P4c processor, an S-Media Radeon 9600Pro video card and an Audigy 2 NX external USB sound device connected to 5.1 channel speakers. Our household remains 'stereophile' and so cannot observe problems with particular receivers. Suffice it to say that the Audigy and speakers demonstrate quite clearly if it is working or not .

I have not yet been able to get the onboard Analog Devices chipset to render the S/PDIF signal etc but using the Audigy it works fine

The content varies and some is great others not much different to plain old stereo

hello guys,

thanks for the replies, I never expected so many.

The card will be used in my p4 3ghz, I don't expect or plan on recording direct to dvdr in realtime, I have 300+ gig of spare disk space set aside for temporary storage.

Is www.hyperreality.com.au the best place to obtain my Nebula PCI?

Regards,

Mark Hathaway