Thinking about getting digital

If you say you want a PVR, then absolutely! DVD quality recording, it is the only way to go. My VCR has been powered down since buying the Topfield.

A $150 STB might also be fun to play with, and help with reception, but you won't get those great recordings.

You get widescreen and good sound, some now and next info, some video program guides as "bonuses" for going digital. Also some extra channels (SBS2, Nine does it sometimes with its specials etc).

Cheers

Why is your analog reception rubbish?

Conder generally has good analog reception, you should have an outside antenna pointing at the translator on Tugg Hill.

Is this the case?

If you don't have an outside antenna, you may have trouble receiving a reliable DTV signal.

There is an outdoor antenna but it's attached to the unit that is attached to me (?) we share an outdoor antenna and I have no idea what my neighbours reception is like.

As it is a rental I can't go an put my own antenna up. :P

While I have your attention :blink: What is a reliable PC TV Card that won't break the bank?

If you want a good Digital TV card that won't break the bank, wait for the DNTV Live! DVB-T card to come out next month. It is avalible from DigitalNow (www.digitalnow.com.au).

Also, the FusionHDTV Full version is a good card but it costs around $230 (DigitalNow sells it as well as well as some department stores).

If you want a card that is user friendly, get the Nebula DigiTV (DigtalNow and HyperReality sells it). The only issue is that it is around $300 and you need a computer that has a 2.6GHz processor or higher.

The DNTV Live! DVB-T and the FusionHDTV Full version (you could get the lite version but for the $30 approx price difference, it's not worth it) work with a computer with lower spec (around 1.3GHz) if you have a video card that supports DirectX Video Accerlation.

I suggest that you take this conversation into the Digital TV tuner card forum.

If you want a Set Top Box, go for a Teac Set Top Box as they have the best support around. I got no idea about the STB Kaz Electronics sell as I have not dealt with Kaz Electronics. The DIGITEK DTS60 looks good, but as I said, I don't know what the support is like.

Edited by kenneth

Viffer,

One thing I would like to know is what your current computer specifications are.

It would help with making a better answer that what I have already given.

And if you are do decide to get a STB, I think Gadget is your local best bet as he has the best experience compared to your local department store sales drone.

If you want a PVR STB (Something that is around $500 at least), then this forum is your best bet and DigitalNow seems to be the best local supplier.

One thing I would like to know is what your current computer specifications are.

Hi Kenneth,

I have a P4 3.0GHz PC with 1GB Ram and a Radeon 9200SE Video Card.

I'm new to digital so thanks for explaining thing in plain english. :blink:

Hi Kenneth,

I have a P4 3.0GHz PC with 1GB Ram and a Radeon 9200SE Video Card.

I'm new to digital so thanks for explaining thing in plain english. :blink:

Okay, you can get anyone of those cards that I posted about without getting any problems.

With an indoor antenna you should be able to get reception fine from where you live as well.

Viffer

Going back to your original question, I'm over the other side of town but I'd thoroughly recommend DTV for the improvement in reception and PQ. My analog reception is OK but using a TRIO STB (which can be had for sub $200) with a Pana 76cm 200A, the PQ is a quantum leap over analog. Even if I connect the TRIO to an old 48cm TV the PQ is miles in front of analog.

Purchase your STB or PVR from somewhere with a 14 day no questions asked money back guarantee to make sure you're happy with it and you can't go wrong.

BB