Converting from .tp to .avi/.mpg

Stompi

Forgive me if this has been answered before - I did a search but only found information on how to convert from digital recordings to DVD, which isn't exactly what I want... (I think :blink: )

Ok, I'm a proud new owner of a DVICO card, and I have some .tp files recorded. I'd like to convert these to .avi or .mpg or .mp4 to save space (and to make them more generic - can I play back .tp files on a different computer without install any drivers?). I tried using FusionConverter but am getting very weird results.

Converting to DivX:

- No matter what settings I use, FusionConverter crunches the resulting .avi file to 4:3 format.

- When I play the .avi file in MPC, sound and picture are out of synch; if I play it in Windows Media Player, they are fine! (??)

- The first 9 seconds of the file don't make it into the final .avi

Converting to mpeg:

- MPC plays it back in 16:9 (which is the source format, yay), but Windows Media Player continues to play it in 4:3 (boo)

- audio is in synch in both players (yay)

- The first 8 seconds are missing.

So my question(s): Is there a problem with FusionConverter or am I doing something wrong? Assuming FusionConverter is the culprit, what freeware programs can I use? (again, I just want to go from tp -> avi, nothing fancy! :P )

Thanks for any help....

I would recommend always demuxing your .TP files using PVAStrumento or ProjectX. (I prefer ProjectX).

Open the Resulting Audio & Video files in Cuttermaran, edit out the ads and let it Remux the files back into an MPG (It uses MPlex).

Author the, now DVD compliant, MPG to DVD or use AutoGK to convert it into an Xvid compressed AVI.

n.b: I don't own a Fusion card and cannot comment directly on the FusionConverter software but a quick search of this forum showed that it isn't very stable and apparently has quite a few bugs.

He is not wanting to DVD Author his recordings, he is trying to convert them to DivX/MPG1, in which most MPEG2->[insert codec here] utilities only accept remuxed MPG files.

btw a good MPG converter is TMPGenc, which supports both MPG2 and MPG1, but personally I would use Divx5, XVid with FLASKMpeg or VirtualDub.

Guest Gizmomelb

I've been using Auto Gordian Knot v1.57beta to automatically crop and XVID my Dr. Who recordings (forced to a 350MB file size).

First off I demux the original recording using ProjectX

then edit using Cuttermaran (letting Cuttermaran remux the audio and video)

then feed it into AGK and it automatically crops the side black bars and encodes to XVID.

The really early William Hartnell episodes seemed to compress the worst (400x300 or thereabouts) that would be because of the very bad condition they are in (noisy picture, speckles, film wear etc.) - the later episodes are generally nearer the broadcast resolution (640x480 or better) due to having a clearer source video available.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Doogle,

How about converting either the tp/mpg to DivX in the native HD resolution?

That's primarily what we'd like to do for archiving the video at little loss in quality while maintaining the original resolution for playback on HD monitors (like computer monitors and, LCDs and HD Plasmas).

Will Dr. DivX also preserve the AC3 audio? I know that it's able to encode at 1280x720p, which is a better alternative to 1920x1080i as most HD broadcasts are upscaled to that resolution. Downsampling to 1280x720p makes the image more crisp while reducing the overall filesize. Thus upscaling 1280x720p to 1920x1080i during playback should result in almost no visual difference with the advantage of reduced filesize and hence processing power and HDD usage.

If Dr. DivX can do that then I'll be over the moon!

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Dr Divx to convert the .tp files I want to keep.

It has the option to retain the original AC3 audio stream. As well the generated divx will retain the original resolution and format (4:3 or 16:9), or you can alter them.

I usually convert SD file only, retain the original resolution but reduce the bit rate to about 1500 mps. I find this reduces the file size to about a quarter or less, with no really noticeable difference to quality ( at least on a tv !)

Hey Doogle,

How about converting either the tp/mpg to DivX in the native HD resolution?

That's primarily what we'd like to do for archiving the video at little loss in quality while maintaining the original resolution for playback on HD monitors (like computer monitors and, LCDs and HD Plasmas).

Will Dr. DivX also preserve the AC3 audio? I know that it's able to encode at 1280x720p, which is a better alternative to 1920x1080i as most HD broadcasts are upscaled to that resolution. Downsampling to 1280x720p makes the image more crisp while reducing the overall filesize. Thus upscaling 1280x720p to 1920x1080i during playback should result in almost no visual difference with the advantage of reduced filesize and hence processing power and HDD usage.

If Dr. DivX can do that then I'll be over the moon!

• 1 year later...

ok i used dr divx to encode a fusion file but then at the end, no sound on the file. i used the wizard and it seemed to be going well but i must have done something wrong, is there a guide anyone has done or is it too simple to require one.

if anyone can spell it out for an idiot he would appreciate it.

ok i used dr divx to encode a fusion file but then at the end, no sound on the file. i used the wizard and it seemed to be going well but i must have done something wrong, is there a guide anyone has done or is it too simple to require one.

if anyone can spell it out for an idiot he would appreciate it.

Assuming your source is ac3, You may have to install the ac3 codec. I think its called ac3filter, just do a search on google and install it, it may fix your problem as a codec must be installed to hear ac3 sound on avi files.

Assuming your source is ac3, You may have to install the ac3 codec. I think its called ac3filter, just do a search on google and install it, it may fix your problem as a codec must be installed to hear ac3 sound on avi files.

nope, gave that a go and still no sound.

i had a look at the avi with gspot and it didnt show any audio codec at all. in drdivx do you need to select an audio or does it just get it from the tp file? if not where does it get it from, the tp file plays with sound.

Edited by soapit