TDT LCN

cdn

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some shocking southern cross like dot crawl during the ad break replacments though.

Shocking isn’t it! This is because they've inserted some new text to match the new Cary Lewincamp music. Because they've added the new text in the analogue domain, the entire picture has been converted to composite analogue and back again for the sake of one line of text! Nice one Southern Cross :blink:

I also noticed the horrible composite artefacts and Dot Crawl in what was once DVD Quality scenes of Tasmania. Hmmmm I initially thought that the Southern Cross artefacts was purely on transmission links etc, and not in the editing and production of commercials. Now im not so sure about that....unless the edited scenes were tranferred to Canberra over an analogue link.

Once Southern Cross move to fibre and playback in Canberra, the links to transmitters should be directly digital, but if commercials are edited in the analogue domain then there wont be much change to them. Currently the Dot Crawl on Southern Cross is what I would describe as extremely excessive at the very least.

Don`t know what happened but I hit the 5 button on my remote instead of 8 for Win and it brought up TDT have they fixed the LCN for TDT ????

No they haven't. If I press any number on my remote that is not reserved for a particular LCN, it automatically switches to 350. Weird, eh? :blink:

- Miles.

The reason that many sx produced ads on TDT also have analogue artifacting is simply because the processes dont (yet) exist to transfer ads in digital format to TDT playout - currently the highly technical process of sticking an SP Beta tape in the mail is used as common format from Hobart production at least. This will likely change when fibre connectivity is put in place between canberra hobart and launnie with the move of presentation.

You could always stick a Digital Betacam tape in the mail... :blink:

I'm assuming the fibre to Canberra will be the same as the Hobart-Launceston link and will allow for 'less than real time' transfer? Or will it need to be real time to allow for Launceston-based news to be sent via Canberra?

- Miles.

I am wondering why there is dot crawl on the picture from Mt Barrow when I assume the feed is directly from southern crosses digital studio in Launceston via microwave to Mt Barrow. I would have thought that the picture in Launceston would have been as clean as the one we in Hobart get from Win when they are taking a programme off the satellite directly from the nine network.

I am wondering why there is dot crawl on the picture from Mt Barrow when I assume the feed is directly from southern crosses digital studio in Launceston via microwave to Mt Barrow. I would have thought that the picture in Launceston would have been as clean as the one we in Hobart get from Win when they are taking a programme off the satellite directly from the nine network.

Yeah im not sure, but it seems everything including ads and news go through analogue before reaching Mt Barrow.

Heres a shot of program from Mt Barrow, note Dot Crawl looks much worse in motion:

Program (Click)

Advertisement:

Advertisements

I would have thought that the picture in Launceston would have been as clean as the one we in Hobart get from Win when they are taking a programme off the satellite directly from the nine network.

I think nickcom01 or Darklord pointed out a while ago that the link from the mainland to Southern Cross for Seven programming is also a Telstra analog video network feed, so has the same tendency to suffer composite artefacts as the Launceston-Hobart link. I'm not sure what live Ten programming looks like from Mount Barrow, but we know it's artefact ridden in Hobart; I don't know if SCX take the TDT feed off-air or not.

The best test would be local news stories, which are all digitally shot and edited, or perhaps Hook, Line & Sinker, which should be the same.

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the Barrow microwave link is digital. (Unfortunately I accidentally deleted a test recording from when I was visiting the inlaws up north a few weekends ago, so I can't compare with Hobart - on a reasonable quality setup! - and confirm. :blink: )

- Miles.

Sounds like the analog elements in news mixing and general presentation that nickcom01 referred to earlier have a significant impact on the digital output.

It will be interesting to see if/how they are resolved when the presentation shifts to Canberra. I'm assuming the same link will still be used to Mt Barrow (unless they are building a new one), since the fibre will run to Launceston.

- Miles.

It would seem the long awaited digital link to Hobart from launceston will be a disappointment because the picture is full of artefacts before it leaves southern x studio in Launceston. We can only wonder what will happen to Hobarts TDT picture quality when southern x gets hold of it ?. Looks like poor picture quality from all commercial stations for a long time to come.

That sounds very promising; I guess the next question is when will this all happen?

According to the original article in The Mercury, around March next year. Given the potential cost savings involved, I'd imagine SCB are keen to meet the schedule.

I believe there is also the potential of SCX HD starting up at around the same time (they have to?) so this is another scheduling issue to consider.

- Miles.