PRIME now broadcasting with +125KHz offset

Hi all,

Those who are subscribed to my Gold Coast DTV Monitor would have received emails about Prime Digital just after 12pm today.

They have ceased broadcasting on 788.500 MHz and commenced on 788.625 MHz. This means that they are now in line with the other broadcasters in that all are now using a +125 KHz offset from their assigned frequency.

This may also mean that Prime are now broadcasting from Currumbin (they were the only broadcaster who was not doing this from Monday last week).

For some STB models, you may need to do a re-scan to get the new Prime signal.

Regards,

Adam

Adam, I don't doubt your reception but I have to ask you and steveb. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

I don't see it on most STB's we use, we can get away with DBA, ABA specs. i.e less the 125mhz offset. Mind you this is as per standard.

Before you tell me it's because of interferance which is being seen on analogue, I agree.

I ask why the DBA and ABA don't update their current specs and why are we different to standard fixed frequency's as opposed to other area's. I ask Steveb why is this not publicised.

Thanks

The Australian Standard for Set Top Boxes in Australia specifies that all boxes that adhere to the standard must be able to receive a + or - 125khz offset.

This offset is in the STB standards as far back as 2000. It was put in the standards to handle exactly whats happening on the Gold Coast where there are a lot of adjacent channels.

The + or - 125kHz offset is set out in the ABA Technical planning guidlines.

See Link

ABA Technical Planning Guidelines

Page 87, 88 (see Note 7 Page 88)

Its always been there TV4FREE. Maybe some STB's that your seeing aren't complying with the Australian Standard. If a box autoscans for DTV it must be able to apply the offsets to receive the signal.

SteveB