TEACSTB: List of problems with Teac DV-B420

pneu

Hi

I've recently purchased a Teac DV-B420 and would just like to point out some of its faults in hope that someone at Teac will read this and consider fixing them in the next software upgrade.

1. Loud popping/scratching noises when changing to certain channels (despite the box saying those channels have 100% signal strength and quality)

2. User has to manually change the audio track every time they want to select anything other than the default "eng Stereo" setting (user setting should lock)

3. Display is garbled at some screen position settings (eg. Y:+2 and greater)

4. Pressing the TV/STB button disables use of teletext (manual says it does nothing)

5. Certain programs' detailed information does not load

The main problem I am having with the box though is the sound when changing to 7 or SBS, the noise it makes is really unbearable. I've had 2 brand new DV-B420's and both are the same. Teac Customer Care has told me it must be a reception issue but the STB is showing full meters for signal and quality.

Please, if Teac could just make it blank the sound a little when changing channels I would be extremely grateful!

7 & SBS are the only 2 channels (well, here in Sydney) that *don't* broadcast an AC3 sound track for SD (all others broadcast a primary MPEG-2.0 audio track, and a secondary AC3-2.0 audio track). I don't know if this means anything, but perhaps it is useful information.

Ikari,

Please, if Teac could just make it blank the sound a little when changing channels I would be extremely grateful!

We can certainly give this a go....

Please check again the storing of audio service, this should work fine.... If not what area are you located in? and is it a particular broadcaster that isn't storing the audio service?

The picture screen adjustments are provided as is. Actually you should not adjust it unless absolutely necessary. Certain numbers will cause different results...

We haven't heard of a problem whereby the information is not available...unless it's not within the broadcast.

TEAC

I have my 420 hooked up SCART to SCART on the TV.

When I press the TV/Video button, it switches the TV between the AV channel that the STB is on, and the channel last selected on the TV.

So, despite the "does nothing" claim of the manual, it actually does do something useful via the SCART plug.

My 'bug' with the 420, is that when you are displaying closed captions, it leaves a caption up too long when there should be no caption displayed.

i.e. if someone says something, and then noone else speaks for a while (like a minute even), the 420 keeps the last caption up on the screen for a long long time, thus blocking some of the action that is happening on the screen.

It's not coming from the TV station like that either, as if I turn the closed captions on the TV on (can have both the STB captions, and the TV captions on at the same time), the 'TV' captions disappear after a reasonable time, but the 420's caption just sits there and sits there and sits there.

Can't you make them time out after 5 seconds or something?

p.s. RGB out of the Scart plug to my TV (Scart) produces a very very good picture

When I press the TV/Video button, it switches the TV between the AV channel that the STB is on, and the channel last selected on the TV.

You bloody beauty :blink:

After reading that I've now found out what it does on my setup.

I have mine hooked up DV-B420 -> Foxtel Digital STB (Pace sat) -> Grundig TV, all via SCART.

I had the problem of when I switched the 420 on it would immediately switch the Fox Box to pass thru and couldn't change it, the TV/STB button in my case allows me to toggle the pass-thru on the Foxtel box (previously I was just switching the 420 off)

andw,

The closed caption delay is set to approx. 8 seconds.

We can shorten the time to 5 seconds (or lower) however this delay was the recommendation by the Australian Caption Centre during the original days of software development.

TEAC

I haven't timed it as such, but on mine, it *seems to be* a lot longer than 8 seconds.

When people are talking back and forth, it is fine, one comes up, as soon as the next person talks, the next caption comes up (which must only be a few seconds).

Even if someone talks, and then it goes to an ad break, the last caption just sits there across the screen for (what at least seems like) ages. (not that I'm complaining about the ads being covered up :-) )

Perhaps if it was shortened to something like 3 seconds.

Certainly no one could complain that it was too short, as normal back and forth conversation doesn't stay on the screen for that long.

(p.s. thanks for the feedback)

You bloody beauty :blink:

After reading that I've now found out what it does on my setup.

I have mine hooked up DV-B420 -> Foxtel Digital STB (Pace sat) -> Grundig TV, all via SCART.

I had the problem of when I switched the 420 on it would immediately switch the Fox Box to pass thru and couldn't change it, the TV/STB button in my case allows me to toggle the pass-thru on the Foxtel box (previously I was just switching the 420 off)

There is a pin you can cut on your scart cable to disable that if you want to (pin 8 I think, but you would be better to google for it and check before cutting).

With a Scart to Scart cable, it also sets my TV automatically to the correct aspect ratio when I change it on the DV-B420.

I actually quite like the fact that if I turn on the STB, or press the TV/Video button, it automatically goes to the correct AV channel on the TV. - very clever of it.

andw,

The closed caption delay is set to approx. 8 seconds. 

We can shorten the time to 5 seconds (or lower) however this delay was the recommendation by the Australian Caption Centre during the original days of software development.

TEAC

I haven't timed it as such, but on mine, it *seems to be* a lot longer than 8 seconds.

When people are talking back and forth, it is fine, one comes up, as soon as the next person talks, the next caption comes up (which must only be a few seconds).

Even if someone talks, and then it goes to an ad break, the last caption just sits there across the screen for (what at least seems like) ages. (not that I'm complaining about the ads being covered up :-) )

Perhaps if it was shortened to something like 3 seconds.

Certainly no one could complain that it was too short, as normal back and forth conversation doesn't stay on the screen for that long.

(p.s. thanks for the feedback)

p.p.s.

I don't suppose there is a chance that one day we will be able to select a smaller font on the closed captions (say about the size of the 'normal' teletext screens font), so that it doesn't take up such a big chunk of the screen is there?

perhaps via the setup menu?

I recently sent this to TEAC via email, however am putting it here also for completeness.

I've just bought a Teac 420.

What I expected to be able to do was to connect the digital audio signal to my A/V receiver and the stereo L/R audio to my PVR/VCR.

While this is physically possible, in practice it appears that if I want to watch a program with digital sound, I wont be able to record the sound from the program (because the stereo L/R sound is disabled when the ac3 audio is selected).

Is it possible in a future firmware update to allow both the audio channels to operate at the same time?

Cheers,

Andrew

I recently sent this to TEAC via email, however am putting it here also for completeness.

I've just bought a Teac 420.

What I expected to be able to do was to connect the digital audio signal to my A/V receiver and the stereo L/R audio to my PVR/VCR.

While this is physically possible, in practice it appears that if I want to watch a program with digital sound, I wont be able to record the sound from the program (because the stereo L/R sound is disabled when the ac3 audio is selected).

Is it possible in a future firmware update to allow both the audio channels to operate at the same time?

Cheers,

Andrew

That's a good idea.

I strongly doubt it, as this means decoding the AC3 which means royalties to Dolby (if the hardware can even support decoding AC3).

If you want to record the sound, get a PVR or select the MPEG audio track, there is very little difference anyway (apart from the MPEG track is almost 8dB louder!)

there is very little difference anyway (apart from the MPEG track is almost 8dB louder!

yeah... why is that? I can't say I've ever really noticed it between PCM (MPEG) and DD/DTS when I've switched between soundtracks on a DVD before, why such a loudness difference with the DTV sound broadcast, I wonder... ?

anyone got a technical answer to that?

I guess because Dolby has a better dynamic range than MPEG (from the few tidbits I have read and the self congratulary information on the Dolby website), and thus to take advantage of the range, the normal sound on AC3 is quieter than on MPEG.

But on second thoughts, I think perhaps the MPEG is the dynamic range compressed signal that the broadcasters also send on analogue (needs a bit of dynamic range compression compared to digital) where as AC3/Dolby is not tweaked by the broadcasters at all.

Regards

this means decoding the AC3 which means royalties to Dolby (if the hardware can even support decoding AC3).

I'm not asking for the AC3 to be decoded by the STB.

The digital out audio will go to the A/V receiver for decoding.

What I'm asking for is that the AC3 data be sent to the digital audio out and that the normal audio channel be sent to the RCA L/R jacks at the same time.

With the Teac 420 this apparently doesn't happen, as the RCA L/R output is disabled when the AC3 audio track is selected.

Cheers,

Andrew

That isn't possible (I don't think any STB or DVD player does it this way).

You are then asking for the STB chipset to simultaneously handle an MPEG Audio PID (not only handle, but decode) AND to passthrough an AC3 PID, I don't think this is possible for most hardware. It would probably be easier to pay Dolby the royalties and decode the AC3 to analogue, even $69 DVD players are doing this ;-)

Ikari,

We can certainly give this a go....

Please check again the storing of audio service, this should work fine.... If not what area are you located in? and is it a particular broadcaster that isn't storing the audio service?

The picture screen adjustments are provided as is. Actually you should not adjust it unless absolutely necessary. Certain numbers will cause different results...

We haven't heard of a problem whereby the information is not available...unless it's not within the broadcast.

TEAC

Thanks for the reply TEACSTB. I was wondering, does this mean you'll actually add some sound blanking in the next software upgrade or do you mean that I should take it in to a Teac Service Centre to have it adjusted?

As for the audio setting not locking, I was completely wrong, it does lock!

Also, I've realised the detailed information doesn't load because the EPG Now and Next programs are only refreshed when you change a channel, and the detailed information I was requesting was from a channel that had not been changed to by the time the program had already finished (i.e it wasn't in the EPG anymore).

You are then asking for the STB chipset to simultaneously handle an MPEG Audio PID (not only handle, but decode) AND to passthrough an AC3 PID, I don't think this is possible for most hardware. It would probably be easier to pay Dolby the royalties and decode the AC3 to analogue, even $69 DVD players are doing this ;-)

All the equipment I've owned before has been able to do this, I thought it would be standard - The optical output is directed to the amp, while the rca stereo is plugged into the tv and receives the downsampled AC3 signal. It's not like the STB has to do anything when it pass-throughs the AC3 signal to an external device and it should have the capabilities of downsampling to stereo AC3 signals as per normal if there were not digital output.

It's not like the STB has to do anything when it pass-throughs the AC3 signal to an external device and it should have the capabilities of downsampling to stereo AC3 signals as per normal if there were not digital output.

Yes, but it does require the STB to have a Dolby Digital Decoder. The Australian DVB-T standard made SD have a mandatory MPEG audio track with AC3 optional. This was to make the cost of a SD box cheaper by not requiring a Dolby license. HD STBs have to include an AC3 decoder as the HD spec has AC3 as the mandatory soundtrack.

Downsampling AC3 to stereo is not "normal" for SD. I do not know of any SD STB which includes an AC3 decoder (it would be a waste of money for the 3x 5.1 programs that the ABC has so far transmitted - no other broadcaster has transmitted anything more than 2.0 on SD have they?)

You are then asking for the STB chipset to simultaneously handle an MPEG Audio PID (not only handle, but decode) AND to passthrough an AC3 PID, I don't think this is possible for most hardware.   It would probably be easier to pay Dolby the royalties and decode the AC3 to analogue, even $69 DVD players are doing this ;-)

All the equipment I've owned before has been able to do this, I thought it would be standard -

You didn't understand.

You asked for the STB to simultaneosly decode the MPEG stream while pumping out the AC3 stream out the optical port. This is not possible.

That is why I said it would be easier for the STB maker to pay the royalties to Dolby and get the STB to decode the AC3 stream.

This is the ONLY way of getting sound out the analogue ports while feeding the AC3 out the SPDIF port.

I know what I am talking about here, I have reworked the DAC software for a DVD player a couple of years ago.

Regards