retail plasma purchase

:blink: after several months of trying to decide what to buy i finally made up my mind to get myself that plasma i promissed myself so long ago. living in the north shore region of sydney i spent a few weekends doing the rounds of all the retailers, comparing models and price's, after all this research i wasnt sure what to buy until i walked into harveys at chatswood, not only did they have the best range of any major retailer, the service i got of the guys there was unreal, these boys really know there stuff!!! on my first visit the salesman, Dan, was fantastic, he managed to explain the difference between all the screens with ease, in a way that i could actually understand. Round two when i returned with my parents to make our final decision Dan was having a day off, but another salesman Ben took the time to explain everything to my parents which in the end made our final decision a very easy one. i am now very happy to say that i have a 43inch pioneer plasma!! and the toshiba hi def box that was recommended to me works a treat!

Who really cares what he paid for it. He seems happy with his purchase and the positives from that will long outweigh the negatives about price, if he did indeed pay that amount.

I myself will also spend extra money if I get good service and backup too, theres no point in spending less money on a product if the company is arrogant and the give FA support when needed. But your obviously not like that i guess..

I work on price and price only, Why pay for service ????? If you can get the same item in the same time at a different retailer who is prepared to shave $100 and $1,000 off the price why go elsewhere??? A classic retailer where you pay for service is Clive Peeters and expect to pay full-rrp for all your items.

In the case of the Pioneer, all the retailer does is fax through an order to Pioneer and Pioneer does the rest (delivery etc.), so i dont care if the service is bad with the retailer.

I actually had a good experience with bad service, a guy was so half-asleep he sold me an HT amp $100 dollars less than what we originally negoitated on (because he couldnt remember the original price), and the original price was already a heavily-discounted price.

Its actually a good achievement to get a really good price and then you can brag on about it to your mates.

Sound like u got ripped off from Hardly Normal. I bet you paid $10,500 for your pioneer ????? Most of the people (including me) on this forum stay away from Hardly Normal.

actually I did a lot of shopping around with my hitachi plasma. And the lowest price I got and the best service (advice, product knowledge, after sales service, sales manner) I got was from harvey norman - after this experience I took back everything I have ever said about them.

Don't assume anything. Theres good and bad with every retailer. You just have to pick the good and leave the bad alone.

Its good to hear your happy story sandman.

Agree with Roger. There is always someone that's going to get a better deal than you. That's why I don't read these forums trying to suss out if if I have been ripped off or not. Better just to enjoy your purchase and move on.

But when you make a purchase like a Plasma TV, I believe VALUE to the purchaser, rather than money actually paid is the key. I myself purchased what many people have described as a "low end" plasma - the LG standard def model. I agree that this plasma is not in the same league as the Pioneers, Fujitsus and Hitachis of the world, but at about $4K with a free HD STB (worth $700), in my opinion it was the best deal going around.

I could have forked out another $2-3K and bought a name brand but I chose not to. I instead spent the extra cash on a new surround system which is going great guns. But if someone wants to spend $10K on a plasma TV from Harvey Norman, then I think that's fine as well. All it means is that person has a different idea of VALUE than I do.

At the end of the day, most people that write on this forum are proud of what they purchased. That is why I get so annoyed when people choose to bag other products - the amount of times that the LG plasma has been called "a piece of crap" is just amazing. Nobody likes to hear that sort of stuff about their $4K+ investment.

So for all those people that have had their purchase panned on this forum, whether it's a $150 34cm TV or a $15K 50 inch plasma, my advice is to ignore the idiots and just enjoy your purchase.

Sound like u got ripped off from Hardly Normal. I bet you paid $10,500 for your pioneer ????? Most of the people (including me) on this forum stay away from Hardly Normal.

actually I did a lot of shopping around with my hitachi plasma. And the lowest price I got and the best service (advice, product knowledge, after sales service, sales manner) I got was from harvey norman - after this experience I took back everything I have ever said about them.

Don't assume anything. Theres good and bad with every retailer. You just have to pick the good and leave the bad alone.

Its good to hear your happy story sandman.

Yeah, HN being franchises (as are most of the HiFi/AV-selling stores) can vary tremendously. It is always a lottery as to whether they are good/indifferent/outright-crap. When I find a good place, I am more likely to buy from them, support them, and publicize the fact that they are good ... my kind of Consumer Darwinism*! I usually buy the more expensive/rarer products from a more upmarket (=expensive) place that I can trust, and will often pick up the lower-priced/run-of-the-mill stuff from whoever's willing to deal. I sometimes dont mind a bit of paying thru the nose to get piece of mind from people you have more trust in.

However, my main rule is - for any establishment - if they lie, leave the building!

*To coin yet another Santaism!

I walked out of Harvey Norman in Fyshwick (Canberra) today because of the sales staff. I was thinking of taking advantage of the 18 mth interest free period and get myself a plasma screen - then I started talking to a salesman.

I was after a 1024 x 1024 plasma, definitely not one of those low definition NTSC models that seem to be everywhere. After talking to the salesman for a few moments, he began to insist that NTSC was a higher definition format than PAL, after all he had recently been on a $10,000 course so he should know. I pointed out that PAL had 576 horizontal lines compared to only 480 lines for NTSC but he wouldn't be persuaded (you know, the $10,000 course).

I just walked out shaking my head.

I went in to the same Hardly Normal and asked for the guy who'd been on the $10k course. We agreed that these NTSC resolution displays were the bees knees and all the others need to immediately be cleared out at CRAZY prices as they are inferior. I helped him out by grabbing a couple of these lemons.... :blink: