TEACSTB: take notice - bought a topfield

Moby58

Hi TeacSTB, and others.

Have a Teac 350 box in home theatre. Amp only has optical digital in for the STB, and the 350 only had coax digital out. Was going to use a converter box, but decided there was too many cords, so wood look for a chead SD box with component and optical outs.

I would then move the 350 into family room, and replace Digitec, and use the component out of the Teac.

Well, the box I bought was the new Todfield TF4000T, for $219. HOWEVER, in your $219 you also get a scart to componet and audio (5-RCA), and a scart to S-video/composite and audio. (3-RCA + s-video)

My whinge to Teac (and other manufacturers). There has been MANY a complaint on the dificulty of finding a scart to component/audio lead. I did, and it cost me $20.

Getting the leads with the Topfield makes it the same price as the 350 and buying the leads makes the Topfield a whole lot cheaper if you have to pay more than $20 for the lead to go with the Teac.

I think it is about time that Teac, and a lot of other manufactures, take a leaf from Topfield's book, and start supplying appropriate leads with their equipment, and not the standard, cheap 3-RCA to 3-RCA, or scart to 3-RCA.

I dont have a problem with Teac equipment, as I have had a lot of Teac stuff without any problems. It is just that they (and others) need to get with the times.

Open almost any box of Hi-Fi equipment and you'll find a basic set of leads to get you started. Manufacturers won't supply quality cables since their are too many variables to take into account. If you received a high-quality cable that didn't fit with your equipment, that's not much of a bonus, is it. Unless the manufacturer has a unique connector, such as a balanced XLR or DVi, it's unlikely that anything but a basic cable will be included.

Unlike other markets, where one of SCART or S-Video or RCA or DVi or D1-4 connectors are dominant, connectors in the Australian market tend to be a combination. What if you had a TV with only SCART inputs?

I'd prefer to choose or make my own cables.

I reckon Moby has a point. It would cost them, what, two thirds of five cents to do? And it'd make things so much easier.

I've never been able to understand why Stereo VCR's are only packaged with RF cables. It drives people NUTS.

Anyone that knows better is going to go out and buy better ones anyway but, really, where's the harm in it?

Moby now loves Topfield because they do, and hates Teac because they don't.

If I was a manufacturer( :blink: ), that'd be a good enough reason for me to do it right there.

Moby,

In some cases TEAC would like to provide other cabling, however you'll find witha product such as DVB420 it is outside a manufacturers control. TEAC has a massive product distribution within Australia and what is supplied with a product sometimes is controlled by the retail/market requirements.

For example, they may sell the STB cheaper and sell cables as an accessory or bundle the box with other products as a package...? In this case they will supply the leads...

It's difficult to meet eveyone's requirements...

TEAC

Moby,

In some cases TEAC would like to provide other cabling, however you'll find witha product such as DVB420 it is outside a manufacturers control. TEAC has a massive product distribution within Australia and what is supplied with a product sometimes is controlled by the retail/market requirements.

For example, they may sell the STB cheaper and sell cables as an accessory or bundle the box with other products as a package...? In this case they will supply the leads...

It's difficult to meet eveyone's requirements...

TEAC

Hi TeacSTB,

Thanks for the response.

As I mentioned, this is not purely aimed at TEAC. It is aimed at a number of suppliers.

My main point was that TEAC supply a basic cable (SCART to 3-RCA). for $20 more, Topfield supply a SCART to 3-RCA & S-video, AND a scart-5-RCA (component & audio).

I was lucky to find my SCART-component cable for $20, but I lot of people pay more. And even more people have difficulty finding a scart-component/sudio cable.

TEAC has always been low to mid priced equipment (and that is meant as a compliment), however if someone went to The Good Guys and wanted a box with component, the salesman may show them the TEAC 350 and the Topfield.

When the buyer asks about cables, the salesman says 'topfield has the cables', ya need to buy them for the Teac.

In answer to the next question from the buyer, the salesman is either gonna say 'we dont have the cable, get it elsewhere', or 'yer, we have the cable, its $40'.

Eitherway, the buyer is then most likely gonna go for the Topfield because either it works out cheaper, or he gets everything in the one place, and no searching.

So, what I am saying for TEAC to retain an advantage, and not lose sales, either they have to supply the cables for the same price, or drop their prices..

And if TEAC cant supply the cables in the package, at least make them available as a separate item, at reasonable prices, at the stores that stock the STBs.

Please don't tell me that you connected the equipment in your signature with the cables that came in the boxes! :blink:

Nope :P

Except the scart-component lead that came with the topfield.

All the rest are mid quality cables I bought. Longest runs are the 10 metres from the equipment to the projector (component, s-video, and composite).

I had to do a lot of searching too but finally found a good quality scart to component + 3 AV cables and I paid $50 :blink:

I then decided to save some money and return the cable and get a scart to component video adaptor instead (from Tandy) and connect the audio from the STBs audio outs.

To my surprise the picture quality was a lot worse, especially the colours. So I bought back the $50 gold-plated SCART beast and now the picture is at least 33% better. Strange.

Not meaning 2 hijack the post, but does anyone know where I can pick up a Toppy 4000 in Sydney (and price)???

In Perth, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys have em. Think you have both companies over there. HN had a ticket on it for $299 (RRP), TGG didnt have a ticket, but said $219 when I asked.

Thanks Moby ... yeah we have both HN and GG over here but it seems that no two stores carry the same stock - where they do stock Topfield's they only seem to have the 5000PVR ... I even emailed Topfield and they couldn't give me an answer on who has stock of the 4000, hence my post.

I think you did well getting it for $219, tho!!

Mark

In comparison to the TF3000t I have found the following viewed upon a Sony KPFW46M31 RPTV using SCART into RGB.

Topfield TF4000t

Picture: 20-30% clearer and crisper.

Sound: Flawless using RCA. I don't have an amp to test the digital outs.

Reception: Holds reception better that 3000t.

Channel change: Snappy.

Remote: I prefer the remote of the 3000t. Smaller and fits into the hand better. The 4000t is long and thin with sharper edges.

Lock-ups. Only 1 in 4 weeks. I was changing between the channels very fast.

Boot time: 4-5 secs.

Heats: Runs cool.

Period of use: 4 weeks for the 4000t. 3 weeks for the 3000t immediately prior to the 4000t.

Salesman:

Picture: Always neatly presented.

Sound: Quietly spoken and clearly audible.

Reception: Calls me by my first name. As I do so with him.

Channel change: Definately Topfield broadcasting 24/7. If you try and move towards other STB's a worried look comes across his face.

Remote: Calls me back if he is busy or on days off. You don't have to push him hard.

Lock ups: No need to lock him up. Honesty must be his best policy.

Boot time: Always walks up to customers and doesn't leave them standing by themselves.

Heat: Never looses his cool.

Period of use: I've known him for 3 years. He says that he is a not a sucessful salesman unless he can sell a total of 3 or more items to the same customer at separate times. I've clocked up 6 over 3 years.

Hope this helps.

I think it is about time that Teac, and a lot of other manufactures, take a leaf from Topfield's book, and start supplying appropriate leads with their equipment, and not the standard, cheap 3-RCA to 3-RCA, or scart to 3-RCA.

Moby58, you can't expect every possible cable to be bundled with these products. Not everybody has component input on their tv's. Eg, many people require a scart to scart or vga cables to get the best possible quality picture. Also, the cables supplied are usually of marginal quality so serious users need to consider purchasing a high quality cable to suit their particular setup.

Hi Paul, I have a Topfield and I agree. I think I only used the audio cables that came with the Toppy.

The only boxes that should come with cables (well, adapters) are the ones that took the liberty to wire the SCART using their own standard.... TEAC!!

Regards

I must confess that I don't use the original cables either.

However, I believe that for those on a budget, the supplied cables are more than adaquate to provide a vast improvement than no cables at all.

So many of the lower level entry consumer products are in my opinion there to satisfy the vast majority of consumers, who in turn want to unpack, plug in and switch on.

Thus for those in the community whom are not audiophiles or videophiles the supplied cables would be a welcome change for the better.

Yes the Topfield costs marginally more than the average STB, however the price difference is not based on supplied cables but the supplied performance.