Opinions on 76cm widescreens $1500-$2000

Hi,

I'm in the market to upgrade my old 68cm Phillips with a 76cm widescreen. The budget is limited, but I've been in dire need of widescreen and something a little clearer than S-video (i.e. component). The TV would be mainly used for the playback of DVD's as I rarely watch a lot of broadcast TV. I suppose I could forego HDTV for a while.....

Recommendations?

I've noticed an LG RT32FZ60RB for about $1500 in JB, but I can't seem to find much info or opinions on it. Opinions?

Thanks in advance. Great forum you have here. :blink:

Firstly, you will be very unlikely to see any improvement in picture quality with Component over Svideo for DVD playback.

Component is only useful for HD.

If you are going to view this new TV from more then 2 meters,

You should seriously consider an SD TV not HD and save yourself a lot of money.

Prices start at less then $900 for flat screen models and under $700 for normal screens.

Also remember that a 76cm will give you a smaller 4:3 picture then your old 68cm, so the 76cm is a step down for 4:3 SOURCE.

Regards,

Owen

Yeah, I thinking my current 4:3 setup with a 68cm TV in my room is just a little big, so its no biggy going down in size slightly for this.

My viewing range will be about 2 metres for the time being (until I move that is).

Another reason for the desire to use component over s-video is that not too long ago, my little sis mangled the s-video connection and I really can't be bothered getting it fixed, so I'm currently using composite :blink:

In the past I've been a bit of a brand snob with electronics, but if i can save a bit a money with a quality SD TV, that would be great.

I know its below your price range but a mate of mine picked up a 76cm Teac for $950 with a 5 year warranty and it came with a free Teac STB(can be up to an 8 week wait though) and its a nice tv and dvds look good.Something to think about anyway.

Also i havent been looking lately but if you could stretch the budget a little more a Pana 200A might be in the low $2K range by now and they are a really nice tele as numerous forum members will testify.

Im pretty intelligent you have posted a price range and the Tvs i have suggested are either side of it :blink: .In your price range are the Palsonics of which i know not much about.Hope this helps.

Cheers Ryan

Try the Palsonic 76WSHD. There's a long thread about this in the HD section. So far, after more than 9 months of usage it has served my needs.

It has 2 types of HD connections (but one sound input, which can be easilly solved by buying a cheap 2-into-1 adapter from your local Dick Smith/Jaycar shop). One is ?VGA for HD STB. The other (component) I use for the Sony progressive scan DVD player.

I think you can get them for under A$1600. Someone mentioned not to get the newer model. Cannot remember why.

Hope this helps.

the link to the palsonic is here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=854&st=480

be vary of the problems people have been having with these sets. I wouldn't touch them personally. some have been lucky but there are plenty still with all sorts of problems - read the posts in the link for yourself to decide. I think your better off getting one of the better brand names.

In regards to upgrading from the 68cm. The good thing about a 76cm TV is that atleast your 16:9 dvds will fill the full screen than the letterboxed picture your getting now. There is a lot of stuff on TV thats still 4:3 but if you do get a set top box even if its a SD one you'll atleast be able to watch the majority of it in widescreen.

if you can find a store that has one see if you can look at a Sharp SX76NF8, its a 50hz 76cm model. i have been stocking these for many months now and i have been very impressed by it. It has both component and S-video and both look excellent. The sound is very good also. They are priced under $1500, i'd say you could get under $1400 if you bargain a bit.

Well, I bought my mother a 76cm 100Hz Samsung recently and personally I think the picture stinks.

I recently upgraded the composite connections to component and it still stinks.

The picture is not quite pixellated but it is a similar effect - almost like a veil at times.

As a reference I use my LG 66cm 50Hz which IMHO has a very good picture.