"DEATH OF PLASMA"

Just saw this on http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/15/1094927619934.html.

Is this new or has it been around for a while.

Does this mean the death of plasma screens or a huge price drop?

Has anybody seen a SED TV in action?

Who knows, there is so many of these emerging technologies its impossible to tell when, if and how much they will be. I keep hearing fanciful things like role out screens that will replace Plasma's in 10 years etc, but I just can't see it for a while longer than that.

I am not a big fan of LCD, its okay for computer monitors, but I don't like it for TV. I think the only reason it does as well as it does is because it levers of the huge numbers of PC products.

This "SED" technology sounds very much like the "OLED - Organic Light Emidting Diode" technology, which as actually already been used for digital camera screens in some Kodak models already with prototype 17" monitors already working well. These two overcome the biggest problems with LCD, the pixel itself provides the lighting, becuase of this no backlighting is required which greatly increases black levels.

Danny.

The principles behind SED have been kicking around for a while, it used to be called FED (field emitting display) but there were a number of technical problems, one of which was the durability of the emitting device. I think I remember reading there are some display screens based on this around already but they are in use by the american military. No-one has released a TV based on it yet.

This is a good little article about these things.

To be honest I'm pretty sure new the SXRD and LCOS technologies will easily displace plasma a lot sooner than SED that's only in the early development phase.

Sony's new 70" slim line SXRD HD 1080p set has already knocked the majority of competing technologies for 6 and will be launched in the US next year, possibly here as well.

:blink:

Thanks Guys!

Well after reading up on it all, now my decision is made a lot easier.

Buy a cheap CRT widescreen with STBox from BigW, wait around for about 2 years, stop reading this Forum and start all over again.

Gosh I love Life :P

Cheers

Fitze

That's assuming you can contiunue to get by with a small screen for another 2 years. Perhaps another option is to buy a 40 - 50" widescreen RPTV - they seem to be falling in price quickly now.

If you can stretch a little for an LCD-based RPTV or even a DLP-based set then you should get more than 2 years of use out of those

fitze1957,

Unfortunately, there will always be something better and cheaper coming next year or the year after.

If you take that attitude you will never buy anything.

JandB,

Actually, with a little calibration work, you can get better picture quality out of a CRT based RPTV then any current digital model and I very much doubt that situation will change in the next year.

So there is no need to “stretch a little for an LCD-based RPTV or even a DLP-based set”.

It will take something like the Sony SXRD HD 1080p for digital RPTV’s to finally out perform the HD CRT RPTV’s, and we will be very lucky if we see them in Australia before 2006.

Even then, they will not be cheap.

Regards,

Owen

fitze1957,

JandB,

Actually, with a little calibration work, you can get better picture quality out of a CRT based RPTV then any current digital model and I very much doubt that situation will change in the next year.

So there is no need to “stretch a little for an LCD-based RPTV or even a DLP-based set”.

It will take something like the Sony SXRD HD 1080p for digital RPTV’s to finally out perform the HD CRT RPTV’s, and we will be very lucky if we see them in Australia before 2006.

Even then, they will not be cheap.

Regards,

Owen

Owen,

I guess I haven't really been paying much attention to the CRT RPTV's as they always seem to be so much bigger than LCD/DLP. (ie at least 50% bigger again than the screen itself).

Thus it doesn't leave a lot of room for components to be stored neatly under the screen - would be a messy scenario in my house.

This seems to have much in common with Cold Cathode Technology. It is exciting to read that manufactures have gone on to perfect it. :blink:

http://www.candescent.com/tcrtcnpt.htm

This is the company that canon bought up all the patents of a couple of months ago to clear the way for their technology (or that was the motive that the report I read somewhere implicated).

Here is another article with a bit more info including that the initial product will be 50 inches and that Toshiba are going to phase out plasma production in favour of this technology.

They have big plans, the Toshiba spokesman said they want 30% of global sales of 40 inch and bigger screens by 2010.