Newbie question on how to record FTA & Foxtel

I have a real newbie question here so please forgive me.

What is the easiest way to be able to record both FTA and Foxtel on one device and get better quality than a VCR... can I use a PVR (ie can I record Foxtel to a PVR via AV input) or do I need to use a DVD recorder.

I currently have the following... TV -> Foxtel (SCART RGB) -> FTA STB (SCART Composite) > VCR

If I need a DVD recorder can I record FTA digital or will copyright be an issue.

I've read many posts on this forum and all I have managed to do is confuse myself. Basically I am after a 1 box solution as that it the only way I will get the required WAF :blink:

Thanks

Please excuse this simple female as she replies....

I have a PVR for FTA (Strong 5390) and use a Panasonic E85H to record from foxtel. The Pana has multiple AV inputs so could certainly be used to tape both FTA and Foxtel. As to degree of complexity... my 14 yo daughter can cope, but not my husband!

What are you using... can a TOPPY record from an AV ?

No, the toppy has no a/v inputs, it only records the broadcasted Digital TV stream. That is, there is no analog to digital to analog, etc conversion in the recording process, unlike using a DVD recorder for example. So watching a toppy recording of a Digital TV broadcast, is just the same quality as watching the actual broadcast, except you can skip the ads, etc.