STRONG 5290 Help

I have a Strong 5290 and I am having a couple of probs. I have been getting some breakup on the ABC and SBS channels but have waited for the commercial channels to start operating in our area before confirming a problem and looking for a solution.

With the start of the commercial channels I am also getting the breakup, but significantly less but still enough to know it is a problem and it really wrecks the digital experience.

When I do a manual scan the 5290 shows two meters. I remember someone posting what each one meant but I cant recall the details

On each channel the top meter is between 49% and 62% and the bottom meter is around 90% to 95%

I can only think that 49 to 62 figure is the problem, but I dont know where to start looking until I know what that meter that is showing quite low is actually for.

I am hoping the higher figure is for the reception and I have an issue with interference and updating my cable from the wall socket to the stb with quad sheild cable will fix that.

If it is the lower figure that is the reception I might have to raise the aerial and/or replace the cabling..

Any help appreciated.

I think you will find it is to do with your cable or your UHF antenna, and also that the reception of the 5290 isn't as good as other brands. I also own the Teac D500 and I have perfect reception with the Teac. I installed a new UHF/VHF antenna but my 300ohm ribon cable still hasn't been replaced. I live in metro Sydney, ABC is generally OK with minor breakup of picture but SBS is a lot worse. All other commercial channels (ie. on VHF) are perfect.

It may also pay to install a dedicated UHF antenna if you want better SBS reception.

I think you will find it is to do with your cable or your UHF antenna, and also that the reception of the 5290 isn't as good as other brands. I also own the Teac D500 and I have perfect reception with the Teac. I installed a new UHF/VHF antenna but my 300ohm ribon cable still hasn't been replaced. I live in metro Sydney, ABC is generally OK with minor breakup of picture but SBS is a lot worse. All other commercial channels (ie. on VHF) are perfect.

It may also pay to install a dedicated UHF antenna if you want better SBS reception.

Thanks for you post but every location and every install is different. I am on the Gold Coast, but for the purposes of this query it does not really matter, neither does the fact that I have a brand new digital capable aerial.

All channels show the same breakup but at different levels. This shows that it is not an issue with a particular channel or frequency but rather right across the board.

What I want to know is what each of the meters mean.. Which one is signal strength and which one is signal quality.

I have two possible problems, cable which would effect quality and aerial clearence which would effect signal strength. Until I know which meter is which I dont know how to tackle it.