Show us your Turntables!!!

Just now, thesnodger said:

If I dont get any major compensation from the seller Im gonna have to return it. But will defintely buy another one. I thought my SL-M3 was good. This is even better.

I seem to recall you used have or still have some very high end modern tables? These vintage linears compare favourably?

Well I could never use my high end Clearaudio setup in the lounge because of the suspended floor. But if I could go back in time yeah I think I would forget the high end stuff and stockpile these. Dollar for dollar value they are awesome and Im having so much fun with them. Started with an SL-10 and will be getting a PX-2 soon. I also have a Pioneer PL-L1000 that needs a minor repair. I've been extremely impressed at what they are capable of. But this new Sony deck is the best so far. Still pissed the idiot seller packed it so badly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thesnodger said:

Got this today. My next adventure in LT turntables from the 80s. With the Technics 205 Mk4 cart sounds amazing. Unfortunately the f₩#$%&t I bought if off packed it very badly and the lid and part of the plinth were smashed off. But amazingly it still works. 

20171004_171429.thumb.jpg.51745f8b2006b651b9c1e7b32beabf24.jpg20171004_171416.thumb.jpg.5d44ddb5c94412cc42f24dba51531ba8.jpg

What a ****** the seller is:angry:....did you push for some recompense? Lovely looking unit btw.....:thumb: PS; I just saw your earlier follow up post. Good luck!

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, stevoz said:

What a ****** the seller is:angry:....did you push for some recompense? Lovely looking unit btw.....:thumb: PS; I just saw your earlier follow up post. Good luck!

Yeah Im gonna go for a few hundred at least or complete return. If I return it I deffo wanna get another one. Can't believe people are so careless.

• Like 1

This is my 1930's RCA transcription turntable. I am customising it and this is a mock up plinth. 

I am using the original bearing box but replaced the planetary gearbox with Teflon bearings. 

16" aluminium platter and steel flywheel below.  I plan to elevate the 10kg platter/flywheel with rare earth magnets.  It will run  12" jelco tone arm and a Hana MC. It will be belt driven. 

IMG20171003182514.jpg

IMG20171003182503.jpg

IMG20171003182421.jpg

IMG20171003182411.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, thesnodger said:

Yeah Im gonna go for a few hundred at least or complete return. If I return it I deffo wanna get another one. Can't believe people are so careless.

Ok update.... so the seller refunded me $500 on a $1200 purchase.  Annoying as it was a mint condition item. I can live with that.  Just need to find a new dust cover and a way to make the damage on the plinth less visible.  Its a sweet TT. Been playing it all night.

Edited by thesnodger
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 9:26 PM, thesnodger said:

Ok update.... so the seller refunded me $500 on a $1200 purchase.  Annoying as it was a mint condition item. I can live with that.  Just need to find a new dust cover and a way to make the damage on the plinth less visible.  Its a sweet TT. Been playing it all night.

@Hensahad an acrylic dust cover made up. From memory it was a Sydney mob as well.

1 minute ago, andyr said:

Please educate me, Tonni ... how can a TT be an 'idler' and a 'belt drive' at the same time??

Andy

The motor drives the stepped pulley via a belt, and then the stepped pulley drives the platter via the idlerwheel.
No hokus pokus in that... ;)

Heres a picture lent from schopper.ag
From left motor-pulley, belt to stepped pulley , and idlerwheel...
TD_9001_9005_a.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hauge said:

The motor drives the stepped pulley via a belt, and then the stepped pulley drives the platter via the idlerwheel.
No hokus pokus in that... ;)

Heres a picture lent from schopper.ag
From left motor-pulley, belt to stepped pulley , and idlerwheel...
TD_9001_9005_a.JPG

Very interesting, Tonni - thanks.

But I can't see how this would deliver better sound over an 'ordinary' idler?  (Where the motor drives the idler wheel directly.)

Andy

Edited by andyr

1 minute ago, andyr said:

Very interesting, Tonni - thanks.

But I can't see how this would deliver better sound over an 'ordinary' idler?  (Where the motor drives the idler wheel directly.)

Andy

The vibrations from the motor is better isolated with the belt.
A ordinary idler ( Lenco, Garrard, Dual ect. ) uses the motorshaft or motorpulley to drive the idler, and thus any vibrations are transmitted directly to the platter.