Hi Michael,

If the RGBHV connector is the component BNC type with seperate connectors for each R-G-B-H-V then you will need a VGA-RGBHV-BNC cable, which we will also attempt to get stock of for those that require it.

The Sony KV-HR36M31 uses 5 RCA connectors for R-G-B-H-V and not BNC connecteors. :blink:

I'll be interested to see how much these leads are when you get them made up. There are so many Sony sets being sold out there that perhaps you can get some special Sony leads made up that go from DVI on the player straight to the RCA sockets on the Sony.

Any idea when you are going to send out your E-Mail announcements for the player?

Suggestion: When you contact us about the availability of the player could you include a mini pricelist of all the accessories you are putting together for it.

Regards,

Ian.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michael,
If the RGBHV connector is the component BNC type with seperate connectors for each R-G-B-H-V then you will need a VGA-RGBHV-BNC cable, which we will also attempt to get stock of for those that require it.

The Sony KV-HR36M31 uses 5 RCA connectors for R-G-B-H-V and not BNC connecteors. B)

I'll be interested to see how much these leads are when you get them made up. There are so many Sony sets being sold out there that perhaps you can get some special Sony leads made up that go from DVI on the player straight to the RCA sockets on the Sony.

Any idea when you are going to send out your E-Mail announcements for the player?

Suggestion: When you contact us about the availability of the player could you include a mini pricelist of all the accessories you are putting together for it.

Regards,

Ian.

I use the BNC-RCA connectors that can be found at electronics stores like Jaycar. They do the trick quite nicely and leave the option available if I ever need connect directly to BNC sockets.

The RGBHV cables can be found in alot of stores. Just do a search online in Australia and you'll find plently of sites which sell them. They usually seem to go for about $70. Have found a few sites which sell them with RCA connections instead of BNC, but lost the URLS. BNC adapters too are available anywhere, all of $2 each. If any of you with a KVHR get to hook up a DVD through HD2 please post your findings, coz i'm tossing up whether to go down that road myself, or just stick with component.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for being a bit too subtle. What I was hinting at was getting a single cable made up that went direct from the player straight into the Sony. The fewer adapters the lesser the cost and the lesser the possibility of signal degradation.

(I have a collection of BNC to RCA converters on hand just in case. :blink: )

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for being a bit too subtle.  What I was hinting at was getting a single cable made up that went direct from the player straight into the Sony.  The fewer adapters the lesser the cost and the lesser the possibility of signal degradation.

(I have a collection of BNC to RCA converters on hand just in case.  :P )

Regards,

Ian.

I wouldn't get too worried about signal degradation in this application, I've seen broadcast engineers use different types of BNC adapters including the RCA type without giving it a second thought. I was looking at it from the practical side, I could get engineers at my work to make me up a dedicated RGBHV RCA cable for my projector but I really couldn't be bothered for the sake of no gain.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for being a bit too subtle. What I was hinting at was getting a single cable made up that went direct from the player straight into the Sony. The fewer adapters the lesser the cost and the lesser the possibility of signal degradation.

(I have a collection of BNC to RCA converters on hand just in case. :blink: )

Regards,

Ian.

To do this properly, you would really need someone to make an

"Analogue-DVI to Component RGBHV RCA cable".

thereby bypassing the analogue DVI dongle

Ian,

I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable. It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

This was a custom built and tested cable.

Hi DVDHack,

I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable.  It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

I was hoping that Michael may be able to organise these cables, in bulk, so that we could save some money. By the way, I wanted to go from DVI to RCA and not DB15 to RCA, that way we also lose the DVI to DB15 converter.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi DVDHack,
I bought a D15 to RCA cable for my HTPC from Audiophile in Melbourne, cost me $200 but it was 3.5m long and used broadcast quality Belkin cable.  It is a massive thing with very high quality RCA connectors and works very well with my PC into the HD2 port of the Sony.

I was hoping that Michael may be able to organise these cables, in bulk, so that we could save some money. By the way, I wanted to go from DVI to RCA and not DB15 to RCA, that way we also lose the DVI to DB15 converter.

Regards,

Ian.

I hope you understand the subtle difference between analogue and digital DVI. Both share the same physical interface, but the pin outs are different.

Merely specifying DVI creates a 50% chance of getting the wrong cable.

So we have a rumor about the next generation Momitsu:-

Only know the V880N will be out in about 4 months according to rumours.

The best thing about this player is the inclusion of analogue inputs to allow A/D conversion and scaling, although if it is just a composite input it will be pretty useless.

Interesting :blink:

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let everyone know what's happening.

The players are on their way. We should hopefully have them by the end of the week or early next week.

I will forward all details to all those who have registered their interest as soon as they arrive.

If you are interested in these players and have not yet registered your interest, please email me so I can add you to our list.

Also a note on the 50Hz issue, the manufacturer is in the process of developing a new firmware to allow 50Hz playback for PAL DVDs. Hopefully they will have this completed for us soon. I will post any info as I receive it.

Thanks

OK Guys. They are finally here and ready to go, as from tomorrow.

I have emailed all those who registered their interest in the player with all the details. If you are interested in getting one of these and did not receive my email, please email me again and I will reply with all the required details.

They look pretty good. I will not post my review as yet as I am a little busy at the moment, but as soon as I get some time I hope to post a full review for you all, or if anyone buys one I am sure we will all be happy to hear your opinion.

Please note: We only have a very small quantity left at this stage (15-20) so if you want to get one before Christmas, get in early.

Also, for those who are interested, as I forgot to mention in my email, we will be initially carrying the DVI-DVI cables, VGA-VGA cables and DVI-VGA adaptors. We shoudl have stock of these by next week at the latest.

We can get various other types of cables if there is a large enough requirement from customers.

Thanks

after reading this thread i feel pretty amazed about how easily people can be mislead. Why would you honestly want a dvd player output a signal higher then what a dvd disc actually has. So, by the way your talking, u are suggesting that i can get better then 576 horizontal line interlaced picture, from a source that has a max. of 540 horizontal lines. Cause in my thinking, u cant polish a turd.......... sorry for the terminolgy but straight to the point....lol. It may upscale to a higher output, but does this actually improve the quality?????? It's like a mp3, once u compress it, u cant improve it by uncompressing it!

some one please prove me wrong but????

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD. Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Superbits & Bad Boys 2 (mastered in HD), just too much.

Pay TV on some chans looks DVD quality, more so (& on more channels) with the new satellite.

The scaler in the Momitsu 88N due out soon is accessible thru various inputs.

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD. Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Pay TV on some chans looks DVD quality, more so (& on more channels) with the new satellite.

Ted, what scaler do you use ... and how much did it cost?

after reading this thread i feel pretty amazed about how easily people can be mislead. Why would you honestly want a dvd player output a signal higher then what a dvd disc actually has. So, by the way your talking, u are suggesting that i can get better then 576 horizontal line interlaced picture, from a source that has a max. of 540 horizontal lines. Cause in my thinking, u cant polish a turd.......... sorry for the terminolgy but straight to the point....lol. It may upscale to a higher output, but does this actually improve the quality?????? It's like a mp3, once u compress it, u cant improve it by uncompressing it!

You probably need to have a serious read about the v880 at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=18

QUALITY,

seeing is believing.

On the scaler I use makes a good dvd look almost HD.  Pirates of Carribean, S.W.A.T. - fantastic!

Ted, what scaler do you use ... and how much did it cost?

http://www.cypress.com.tw/product.php?PId=...%20Scalers&SR=0

CSC-1100A / Video Scaler with Y-Pb-Pr output

Wesco will get it in. Fella I traded for it from got it from there.

The much cheaper Vivid TV box that has DVI output as well as PC Sub doesn't compare though performed well on lo qual source..

Read the review on KeohiHDTV.com to get a better idea of the benefits of scaling. Also speak to any of the people who use HTPCs for their home theater to play DVDs. There is a difference when you scale DVD resolution up to higher one, you not *add* any detail that wasn't there before but rather make it appear smoother overall. There is a point of dimishing return of course, I wouldn't really expect someone with a 68cm display or less to be able to make out much difference. But when you're using a 57" rear projection set or projecting a 120" image from a projector like I have, it's more than a subtle effect.

read more specifically about the Momitsu and it's scaling here:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/videodevice...background.html

and the HTPC forum on AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=26

The much cheaper Vivid TV box that has DVI output as well as PC Sub doesn't compare though performed well on lo qual source..

How much did you get it for?

Anywhere I can get it from? ... what's Wesco?

Hi all,

Just a quick update to let everyone know what's happening.

The players are on their way. We should hopefully have them by the end of the week or early next week.

I will forward all details to all those who have registered their interest as soon as they arrive.

If you are interested in these players and have not yet registered your interest, please email me so I can add you to our list.

Also a note on the 50Hz issue, the manufacturer is in the process of developing a new firmware to allow 50Hz playback for PAL DVDs. Hopefully they will have this completed for us soon. I will post any info as I receive it.

Thanks

Hi michaelf,

Any more news on the 50Hz issue?

How much did you get it for?

Anywhere I can get it from? ... what's Wesco?

I done a trade for it so can't give you a precise figure.

Wesco is local distributor SHould have been discussed here on forum. try wesco.com.au.

maybe worth going for new model Momitsu 880N that has scaler builtin.

Hi,everyone,

I picked up a Momitsu from Michaels.On the 50hz subject.The bios doesnt work so they arnt using it.

The guy at the shop said top me it wouldnt make a difference with my projector only TVs.Anyone know if this is true.

On too first impressions.

The image looks a little sharper compared too my Sony 730p.But the colours are awfully dull.I havnt calibrated it or anything but i must say

the sony produces the better image out of the box.

I run the Momitsu at 1080i and 720p.Native resolution of my projector is

720p.My projector states 1080i from the momitsu as HD60.On my Toshiba

HDbox it states it as HD50.Im guessing this is for 50 and 60 hz respectively.

Also in DVI mode i have no colour adjustment from the projector menues.

Regards

Mark

Might wait till they get the 50Hz/60Hz issue resolved before I take a look at one of these. My pj can do 480i/p @ 50/60Hz, 576i/p @ 50/60Hz, 720i/p @ 50/60Hz and 1080i @ 50/60Hz - so the Hz is the problem.

But what I'm not happy about is when playing PAL disks they will be converted to NTSC - Bugger, would much rather have the native transport as I now have with my Harmony G1599.

I also picked up a Momitsu V880 late yesterday afternoon from Com-Tek (Michael's store). I was also using it to replace a Sony DVP NS730P. My display is a Sony PFM-B1 (42" 1024 x 1024). I'm connecting it via DVI socket, DVI/VGA Adaptor, VGA socket.

My first impressions are that it has a lot of potential but also a lot of issues.

(1) Despite the claims of the sales staff, the Bios is about 2 flashes behind the 8 ball. HOWEVER, having done a search around the various internet HT forums, opinion is divided as to the merits of upgrading the firmware. Some highly recommend it, some indicate that it results in greater instability. There are also some horror stories as to the flashing process - ie. don't use the DVI cable for that. I would love some advice from other users as to what firmware they are using so as to possibly fix some issues below.

(2) Manual - The Manual is terrible, but the player is reasonably easy to set up. I did have a few moments of panic before I realised that you have to set it up with component first and THEN switch it to DVI in the menu. You can't just plug in DVI from the get go.

(3) Video- My Sony 730P sometimes suffered from juddering on some disks with progressive (and the top half of the screen covered with a thin film of white interference on black background), so I often had to switch the progressive off. There is no such problem with this player. The image is crystal clear. If you have a HD set top box - the best analogy is the SD picture upgraded to 1080i - ie. a very sharp picture indeed. In fact, truth be told, (and depending on the source) it's pretty much equivalent to Nine's HD movies - film like. Colour is marginally less vivid than the Sony 730P, but that could be due to the settings and also be rectified by future firmware, which I believe saturates the colour far more.

(4) Video - The Momitsu appears to play media in the original ratio - ie. 'Simpsons' episodes will be in a 4:3 ratio on my widescreen plasma, with massive black bars on the sides. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this and get it to automatically stretch the picture, like every other DVD player ...?

(5) Audio - There is a problem on some disks with Lip Synching. Maybe happened on 1 out of 10? Generally happened with the handful of disks in my collection that were bought in shop stalls overseas. Although it has happened on some Region 4 Originals, like 'The Warriors' - which pretty much is chopped up.

(6) Video/Audio - As above, there is a problem with 'choppiness' on some disks.

(7) Compatability - The Momitsu plays an impressive range of media (including some Japanese CD ROMs that I could not previously play on any DVD player or computer), but has some eccentricities - eg: RCE Coded Region 1 disks like 'Panic Room' refuse to play on Region 0 and the player must be set to Region 1 in the set up menu. A select few others appear to refuse to play at all.

Summary.

Pleased with the picture in general terms, however the player does have some quirks. I desperately want to know what firmware is best. Should I install the November one or the December one? Or leave it as is?

I checked that site out last night.

It's reasonably helpful in as much as you can see others struggling with the same issues, but by no means is there any sort of consensus as to whether one should update the firmware, and if so which version.

It also does not contain information as to how to deal with 4:3 source material ....

Hi

Ive just run the momitsu head to head against my Sony 730p,by using the same DVD in each player running at the same time and switching between them.

The sony is running component,and the momitsu DVI.Their hooked up too a PAnasonic AE500 projector.Ive got the momitsu set to 720p.

My brother and my missus both were there and it seems in terms of PQ,the sony blew the doors off of the Momitsu.

Im not sure if my momitsu is working properly but i was expecting such a jump in PQ from what ive read in the forums from other people.Some people are claiming $1000 Denon players far inferior to the MOmitsu.But god the colour from this machine in DVI mode is outright dull.

The picture may be a little sharper,but thats not easily noticable.

My brother and missus arnt videophiles they just agreed without knowing wich player was playing that the Sony was far superior.

My missus complained that i just blew $450 down the gurgler,and in all honesty i agree with her.

Anyone else seeing the same thing as me or do i just have a shitty player.

Should I install the November one or the December one? Or leave it as is?

December firmware, where is this beast? I've looked on the Momitsu forum and Manowa, it only says coming soon. It sounds good though, they say "Add Color Adjustment - Brightness, Contrast and Saturation" to the machine, I think that may help get over the argument some people have had about the better colour saturation of the Sony. Also I see "Improve DVD title compatibility issue" listed could also be helpful.

Anyway looking forward to getting this update, not that I have a projector to use my Momitsu with at the moment, although it wouldn't hurt for me to pair it up with my Sony KVHR36M31 TV in the meantime.

BTW, anyone game to try the power supply upgrades mentioned on AVSForum? I've got some techs at work who could do it pretty easily. I'm contemplating that transport upgrade too.

Hi all,

Just thought I would reply to some of the queries and uncertainties some people are having with this player.

The firware is a couple of version old, but there is a very good reason for this. The last 2 firmwares (novemeber and December beta) were very unstable and had some very bad problems which would make nearly all customers so unhappy that they would return the units for sure. Firstly with the November F/W, the player would hang when attempting to play a DVD from a different region that the previous one played. This then required a hard power off (unplug power cable) which was very annoying. This was amoung a couple of other smaller loader issues.

The December beta F/W was just that, as beta version. This had an even more serious problem. Everytime you power the unit off and power it on again, it would not load the DVD correctly, it would think its a CD and then again a hard power off (inplug power cable) was required to get it to correctly load the disc.

The October F/W that is loaded on all the players we sell, from our own testing, seems to be the most stable. Although there are a couple of new features that are very good and very useful in the newer firmware releases, they are just not worth that hassles that are brought by using those new firmware versions.

We did extensivly test the December beta F/W and apart from the loading issue after a power off and on, it looked really great. The colour and brightness/contrast adjustments were a great added feature, so are the custom DVI settings. The picture quality is excelent once adjusted correctly, and although some may have differing opinions, it is the best pic quality I have ever seen out of a DVD player.

The December beta F/W is being worked on as we speak. I have been informed that the bugs will be fixed and the official Dec F/W release should be available in the next week or so. I will post a link once it is available.

For those who have already purchased a player or are going to get in before Christmas, and would like to upgrade to the new F/W once its available, there are instructions and it is quite simple. It took us under 5 min.

The beta version we tested did not have the 50Hz issue fixed, however we have been informed that Momitsu's R&D team will be doing what they can to include it in the official release, otherwise the next version for sure.

Through our own testing, we have seen very little problems playing PAL DVDs at 60Hz. There have been a couple of poor quality DVDs that suffer from shuddering, but generally it doesn't seem to be something that is very worrying, although we do not have many different types of displays to test it on, only what we have.

If anyone has anymore queries, don't hesitate to ask.

I will post updated info as it comes to hand. Remember there are not too many left so hurry in before Chrsitmas. I will look forward to seeing some of you this Saturday.

I am pretty amazed by your comments.

Take an example:

Plug a DVD player via SVHS into a video projector run about 15 minutes of a good quality movie.

Ramp up the effect:

Plug a HTPC into the SAME projector this time using VGA or RGBHV inputs and time resolution at 576p (progressive). Play same movie for 15 minutes.

Remap up further:

Plug a HTPC this time at 720p timings same input. Play movie for 15 minutes.

The results will knock your socks off in what your been missing out on.

Regards

DA

Michael the problem with the PAL 50hz isnt (well in my case) anything to do with Pic Quality... Its the fact that my Pana 86cm WS simply wont display 1080i@60hz only 50hz... thus the v880 is useless to me in every way as the 100A doesnt support 720P and I already have other players including a v880 that can only be used in 576P mode......

SO as you can see the 50hz is rather important...

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was hijacked a few pages back to discuss the Neuneo DVD player, potential competitor to the Momitsu which kicked the thread off, and I just wanted to follow up...

I posted a mostly positive experience with the Neuneo player. I noted some initial problems with stuttering and audio sync, but these seemed to go away after the first day.

Well they came back. I have had major problems with this player and am now returning it for a refund (minus shipping). The major issues are audio sync and stuttering. The audio sync problem manifests itself particularly on some disks rather than others, and it typically comes in and out from one scene to the next.

The stuttering problem is pretty random, but when it happens it's bad. Sometimes the player just skips the entire rest of the chapter and goes to the next. It did this tonight as we were trying to enjoy the battle of Helm's Deep in the Two Towers. Very distracting.

Just wondering how the other Neuneo DVD owners are going?

After this experience I'm going to be fairly conservative with the replacement player. Definitely going for a big name, definitely not bought sight-unseen off the internet. Don't want to risk further ridicule from the wife :blink:

Suggestions welcome. Thinking the Sony 730 which does PAL and NTSC progressive scan.