EOI: Someone to enhance my Sansui TU-X711 supertuner and get another as payment !

Warren M.

The exceedingly rare Sansui TU-X711 was Sansui's last venture into high-end FM, 12 years after the TU-X1 (Sansui's top-of-line fully analogue AM/FM statement tuner). The TU-X711's circuit-identical precursor, the TU-X701, placed 15th out of 84 highly regarded tuners in FMTunerInfo's famed sound quality shootout (beating the superb Sansui TU-717 by two places). In stock form this is the quietest tuner I have ever heard: stereo noise on a good wide/local signal is about -90 dB ...incredible !

Image result for tu-x711

As good as the TU-X711 is, in stock form, it can be substantially improved to bring it near the very top in sound quality. 

When these tuners very occasionally surface on eBay (usually in Germany) they are typically about €300 plus shipping to Oz.

Here is my offer:

Enhance my personal TU-X711, and get one FREE to enhance for yourself!

I have two Sansui TU-X711s ! Both waiting to be enhanced, but I have neither the experience nor dexterity for such a task.

I handed these tuners over to someone who, unfortunately for me (but not for him) has been phenomenally busy since then and will be for the foreseeable future. So I've retrieved them and I'm offering again.

I do have excellently clear instructions, by FMTunerInfo contributor JohnC in the US, who has made these changes to a TU-X701 with apparently stunning results, and I have the full service manual and circuit diagram. The motherboard and daughterboards (power, MPX) are well laid out and easy to access above and below.

Here is the list of suggested modifications and a few post-mod photos of JohnC's TU-X701:

TU-X701 DIY

Unless noted all caps are Panasonic FR, Panasonic FM, Nichicon HE, or Panasonic FC as available and in this order of preference.

Power Supply

13 & 29 Volt Rails

mC1  220/35 > 470/35

mC4  220/63 > 470/63

mC5  100/50 > 220/50

mC8  100/50 > 120/50

mC11  2200/50 > 2700/50

mC14  47/10 > 120/16

mC16  1000/25 > 2200/25

mD3  Assemble FW Bridge using 11DQ10 Schottky Doides

mD1/2  200V or larger Schottky or Epitaxial Diode

5.6, 18.5, -28 V Rails

mC19  330/35 > 560/35

mC20  470/25 > 470/35

mC21  100/10 > 220/25

mC25  100/35 > 220/50

mC26/28/29  47/50 > 120/50

mC27  330/63 > 470/63

Front End

dC7  470/16 > 1000/25

Composite

dC52  10/50 > 22/50

dC58  47/50 > 100/50

dC63  47/50 > 47/50 Nichicon Muse KZ + 0.1 polypropylene film bypass

dC64  100/25 > 220/35

dC68  47/50 > 100/50

dC69  470/16 > 1000/25

dC70  100/16 > 100/25 Nichicon Muse KZ + 0.1 polypropylene film bypass

dC91  100/16 > 220/25

dC77R-dC100R & dC77L-dC100L  > 10 or 22/50 Nichicon Muse ES Non-Polar

Replace the polarized cap pair with a single non-polar Nichicon Muse ES series cap.  Orient the new cap with the long lead in the negative side of the 77 cap hole and the short lead in the negative side of the 100 cap.

Desolder the 2043 JRC 6504 op-amp and replace with an op-amp socket and OPA2604 (for now)

Replace the power cable (internal and external) by audio grade cable. I'd much prefer to see the external power cable replaced by an IEC socket, which would require some (neat) metalwork. If you can't do this, it is not a deal-breaker.

Post-enhancement photos, courtesy of JohnC and FMTunerInfo.com:

TopPlate.jpg 

PowerSupply3.jpg

FrontEnd.jpg 

Audio-Composite.jpg

Composite+OpAmp.jpg

If you are interested in taking up the challenge, please contact me privately.

Cheers

Warren

Edited by Warren M.
  • Like 1

The parts and servicing time would probably cost more than the 300euro these are going for in Germany. Unless you are paying for parts and the Techs time is paid for with spare tuner? What condition is the spare in?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, niss_man said:

The parts and servicing time would probably cost more than the 300euro these are going for in Germany. Unless you are paying for parts and the Techs time is paid for with spare tuner? What condition is the spare in?

€300 plus shipping is about AU$600 and that's assuming you can get one. Assuming that audio electronics is your pastime and not your profession, cost of modification time is not really relevant. 

My guess is you would be up for about $300 for the components for both tuners, but could be less.

If you were to modify a TU-9900 or TU-919, the tuner alone would cost you maybe $1000 or more, and the mods required are much more extensive, probably costing about $500 in components per tuner. In the end you would have a tuner which may have very marginally better sound quality than the modified TU-X701, but costing you several times more.

Condition of both my TU-X711 tuners is excellent: 8.5-9/10.

Cheers

Warren

Edited by Warren M.
  • Like 1

From your description, it's a matter of replacing all those caps, some diodes, op amp socket, IEC power socket and running some good quality wire - is that a fair summary?

If so, it seems just a tedious job of upgrading the bits, provided there's a clear manual to follow and doesn't require complicated programming or exotic test gear 

25 minutes ago, jrhill said:

From your description, it's a matter of replacing all those caps, some diodes, op amp socket, IEC power socket and running some good quality wire - is that a fair summary?

If so, it seems just a tedious job of upgrading the bits, provided there's a clear manual to follow and doesn't require complicated programming or exotic test gear 

So you are saying I should do it myself. You've obviously never seen my soldering technique.

Besides, I expect that, changing capacitance values in the front end and the composite circuitry, a realignment of the tuning varactor will be required.

Cheers,

Warren.

1 hour ago, jrhill said:

How come you haven't sent this off to Joe?

Joe has three itty bitty projects which seem to have taken up a lot of his time:

1. The Elsinore "current compatible" DIY speaker which looks like this EL-6_SoundRoom.jpg and performs like this EL-6_Family.gif
  2. The JLTi (currently level 4.2 + ACB) Oppo BDP105 (and soon UDP205), which has implemented one after another completely new or rethought technologies
  3. The JLTi family of amplifiers, again involving serious revision of amplifier orthodoxy

Given his tendency to reinvent whatever he touches (my EE MiniMax phono for instance, which went from good to phenomenal, after mapping and redesigning the circuit) it should have been no surprise that he would not get around to working on these tuners, as he could not have stopped at simply doing component swaps.

Which is why I am getting it done by someone else.

Cheers

Warren