Mober Bearing Housing for LP12

3 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

Cheers @andyr.  Makes sense now.

Issue still remains of the hole size through the Valhalla.  Perhaps I need to make the Valhalla "off board" - anyone got an extra switch or blanking plug for the top plate?

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

Andy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there will be any problem using Edmund's Mober bearing with the Number9 speed controller.   Currently, the only Linn components on my 'SkeletaLinn' are: yes, the Cirkus

Na ya don't..   A crappy bearing will manifest itself quite clearly on any spec Sondek cause its performance benchmark starts and ends there... Full Klimax Sondek with shitety bearing w

Just need the TP Tranq's then some serious rebuilding.....   Tase

10 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, the hole size through the Valhalla is a potential problem.

Or is it - I thought you had a 'Number9'?

I have an "original" LP12 switch, if you'd like it.

Andy

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

3 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

I will have a Number9 with 24VAC motor, but, until then I will still be using my Valhalla which I have recapped.  If I install the Valhalla off board this will allow me to be able to use the Mober Ring Bearing.  So I'd like to grab the switch off you please so I can mount this in the enclosure and still leave the switch in the LP12 rather than a hole or filling in a hole. 

NP, Chris - I'll deal with this after I get back to Melbourne at the w/e.

Andy

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well [emoji1303]
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Hi Tase,
You bought the Mober ps as well emoji1303.png
That bearing housing looks well made.
Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the dc A-Max motor once you've run it in, mine is still has a very slight bearing noise, probably due to the Khan tp.
Pete.

The Motor kopt some damage in transit....:emot-bang:

IMG_3954.thumb.JPG.fcf7fe0ac69c69a563c2233d90b558c1.JPG

hope its OK. Not going to Know until i do the rebuilds . I've emailed Edmund to see if i can do a "cold" run just to make sure

These units will go on my Black deck replacing a Naim Armageddon which does sound very good.

Interesting your comments re the Khan as both my decks are super quite..

Cheers Tase

Ouch! yeah looks like it took quite a hit.
Also, you may have to modify the sensor mounting on your Khan (if it's the same as mine) as it's designed for the Linn tp.
I know Roger swapped the motor on his Mober to a re-max one, which I will probably do at some point.
Edmund gave me a re-max model no. to try.
Pete.

• 2 years later...

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

17 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

With Hand on Heart I have to report that the bearing has Failed in less than 2 years...

...basically it 'Locked up"  so I cleaned the well ...again...which didn't help then noticed the indentation on the thrust plate as shown...( best i can!! )

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact up to 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

Very sad, Tase.  :(  Hard to see how this could happen when you use a 'Tranquility'.  :(

Andy

1 hour ago, Tasebass said:

This was running with a TP Tranquillity too which reduces point contact upto 90%   supposedly.....:unsure:....

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpgIMG_0929.png.1e69775d2d609e85c68e8e9e69133159.png

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

Not good at all!! ?

8 hours ago, Capone said:

@Tasebass

Did you end up getting the bearing going again?

Yes...by replacing it with a Cirkus bearing I had in stock....

Incidentally it was the Radikal sensor that eluded me to the Mober bearing failing as the LED on the switch would not go dim ...( does this when speed is correct )....

Tase.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, Tasebass said:

IMG_0928.thumb.jpg.ec068e1c9e73a80387ebd6296f134355.jpg

.mmmmmmmm..

Tase.

Hi Tase,

sorry to hear about this - your Linn's look amazing by the way - I have  modified LP 12 myself although not as highly specc'ed (or as funky - in a good way - as yours:);

How is the ball bearing Mober sub platter looking - is there any sign of wear on this? Are you still using it / would you still recommend the sub platter upgrade?

I am asking because it was on my radar as the next upgrade along with the Mober DC motor unit.

Would really appreciate and value your thoughts.

cheers

Cameron

On 30/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, Cammyboy0_0 said:

Hi Tase,

sorry to hear about this - your Linn's look amazing by the way - I have  modified LP 12 myself although not as highly specc'ed (or as funky - in a good way - as yours:);

How is the ball bearing Mober sub platter looking - is there any sign of wear on this? Are you still using it / would you still recommend the sub platter upgrade?

I am asking because it was on my radar as the next upgrade along with the Mober DC motor unit.

Would really appreciate and value your thoughts.

cheers

Cameron

Thanks for the kind comments....a labour of love getting the decks to what I wanted....

As stated earlier I ordered 3  Mober units from Edmond ...His PS + motor....bearing and inner platter...The PS was not an experience I wish not to repeat though @Luc and @Peter-C I believe use the Mober PS with good results so they would be more qualified to respond than myself...

The bearing whilst a laudable Idea I believe was rushed into production without much ( if any ) proper R&D which Linn would participate in if bringing a new or revised product to market....one reason for their pricing with relation to other third party offerings for the Sondek.... 

Which brings us to the Mober inner platter...well yes its been good ..so far...I checked the tip at the shaft end and have noticed no wear...but then I have a few Linn inner platters with much more mileage on them that also have no visible wear.... 

From my perceptive with regards to certain third party mods/upgrades I would be extremely cautious especially where electronics are concerned.....arms and carts not withstanding...

Have fun Tase.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tasebass said:

Thanks for the kind comments....a labour of love getting the decks to what I wanted....

As stated earlier I ordered 3  Mober units from Edmond ...His PS + motor....bearing and inner platter...The PS was not an experience I wish not to repeat though @Luc and @Peter-C I believe use the Mober PS with good results so they would be more qualified to respond than myself...

The bearing whilst a laudable Idea I believe was rushed into production without much ( if any ) proper R&D which Linn would participate in if bringing a new or revised product to market....one reason for their pricing with relation to other third party offerings for the Sondek.... 

Which brings us to the Mober inner platter...well yes its been good ..so far...I checked the tip at the shaft end and have noticed no wear...but then I have a few Linn inner platters with much more mileage on them that also have no visible wear.... 

From my perceptive with regards to certain third party mods/upgrades I would be extremely cautious especially where electronics are concerned.....arms and carts not withstanding...

Have fun Tase.

Tase, I also have installed Edmund's composite inner platter - in my Cirkus bearing, with Tranqu fitted.  No problems so far - and it must be at least 2 years.  Edmund's inner platter certainly made my TT sound better.  :thumb:

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Tase, I also have installed Edmund's composite inner platter - in my Cirkus bearing, with Tranqu fitted.  No problems so far - and it must be at least 2 years.  Edmund's inner platter certainly made my TT sound better.  :thumb:

Andy

At this stage, im leaning towards the Cirkus bearing & maybe Edmunds inner platter 

8 minutes ago, Capone said:

At this stage, i'm leaning towards the Cirkus bearing & maybe Edmund's inner platter 

C, I'm certainly a fan of Edmund's composite inner platter ... but not of his bearing (it's the Cirkus, for me!  :) ).

I recommend you consider the Tiger Paw 'Tranquility', though.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Tasebass said:

The PS was not an experience I wish not to repeat though

Hi Tase, happy NY, and hope your health gets better and better this year.

What was the problem with the psu? I remember opening the box from Hong Kong and following the instructions and... The thing just worked.

If I had a complaint it would be that the digital adjustment might be instantaneous but it's slow to show up on the display, apart from that I reckon it's leaps and bounds ahead of the Valhalla (obviously) and ease of use puts in above his Moses Hercules. The digital adjustment leaves the Hercules for dead.

• Like 1

@TasebassHaving installed a brand new Cirkus bearing over Christmas I note that the thrust pad is polished to an amazing finish and looking into it you see yourself looking back.

I compare that to the mober bearing that is unused and see a dull finish with lines at the bottom of the bearing.

Is the circle in the photo an indentation or a shiny spot?  The fact the bearing bound up is not a good sign.

I haven't installed my Mober bearing and as it had sat for considerable time the oil supplied in it had dried out and was dried flakes.  I think someone else reported the same.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Luc said:

Hi Tase, happy NY, and hope your health gets better and better this year.

What was the problem with the psu? I remember opening the box from Hong Kong and following the instructions and... The thing just worked.

If I had a complaint it would be that the digital adjustment might be instantaneous but it's slow to show up on the display, apart from that I reckon it's leaps and bounds ahead of the Valhalla (obviously) and ease of use puts in above his Moses Hercules. The digital adjustment leaves the Hercules for dead.

Hi Luc...HNY to you too champ and may you live long and prosper...:D...& I'm feeling about as good as I'm gonna get....which is awesome considering...:thumb:

As previously mentioned in this thread my unit arrived with a damaged motor which was noisy ....and the speed control unit would not 'lock on" 33.33rpm....45 was fine though....I spend quite a bit of time trying to get things to gel adjusting but to no avail  

Edmund was a Gentleman though and offered a full refund on the Mober PS....which I accepted. Turns out the speed control He send out had an internal fault ....I cant remember what though.

I did ask Edmund to check everything before shipment so why this happened...????

Cheers Tase

Edited by Tasebass
2 hours ago, tesla13BMW said:

@TasebassHaving installed a brand new Cirkus bearing over Christmas I note that the thrust pad is polished to an amazing finish and looking into it you see yourself looking back.

I compare that to the mober bearing that is unused and see a dull finish with lines at the bottom of the bearing.

Is the circle in the photo an indentation or a shiny spot?  The fact the bearing bound up is not a good sign.

I haven't installed my Mober bearing and as it had sat for considerable time the oil supplied in it had dried out and was dried flakes.  I think someone else reported the same.

...That would have probably been moi .......as mine was caked in some oily gooiii stuff which required some soaking in chemicals for a period of time...

The thrust pad on the Mober bearing has an indentation. which as stated is even more puzzling cause it was used in conjunction with a TP Tranquillity....

I'd be sticking with the cirkus...

Cheers Tase.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tasebass said:

...That would have probably been moi .......as mine was caked in some oily gooiii stuff which required some soaking in chemicals for a period of time...

The thrust pad on the Mober bearing has an indentation. which as stated is even more puzzling cause it was used in conjunction with a TP Tranquillity....

I'd be sticking with the cirkus...

Cheers Tase.  

Im taking your advice re-Cirkus?

• Like 1

I've Edmund's Mober, with it's digital control and PSU and strobe sticker and that's it.

It's been a wonderful thing and it sits atop  and drives a mid 90's LP12 which of course has most of the goodies a newbie Linn buyer would want., Cirkus not the least of them.

So really I shouldn't be here in this thread about his bearing. The Cirkus does the biz.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
On 02/01/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tasebass said:

...That would have probably been moi .......as mine was caked in some oily gooiii stuff which required some soaking in chemicals for a period of time... 

Tase is this the same bearing? I’m assuming the chemicals had no adverse reaction? 
Sorry to hear about the bearing. For all us uses I hope it’s not indicative. 

But good to know a cirkus fixes it. 

6 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Tase is this the same bearing? I’m assuming the chemicals had no adverse reaction? 
Sorry to hear about the bearing. For all us uses I hope it’s not indicative. 

But good to know a cirkus fixes it. 

I used a combination of WD40/acetones/(nail polish remover) with a wax and grease remover...which I let the bearing soak in for a day or two....

At the time there was no adverse reactions...

cheers Tase.