Thorens Turntable Owners Thread

Guest jakeyb77
8 minutes ago, okitoki said:

Piano gloss black? :)

Its hard. I've painted speaker stands gloss black and it's a killer. Learnt the hard way to use a foam roller. Or get little hairs everywhere. Then it's a long process of clear. You can get a product called liquid glass. Goes on as cloudy epoxy and you wipe it back and forward till it creates a glass like finish. Not hard but time consuming. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, okitoki said:

Have contemplated the liquid glass before but seems to only work on horizontal flat surface...otherwise i see the top section being thinner than the bottom?

Lot of work for the small plinth of a Thorens. Think I'll be happy with the paint finish 

I used this for my plinths

Won't give a smooth glossy glass finish... but after a few coat and sand then coat... gives a nice smooth finish.. easy to apply with a rag.

A satin finish was applied on my 150 here

unnamed.png

FB_IMG_1483620418543.jpg

I used this for my plinths

Won't give a smooth glossy glass finish... but after a few coat and sand then coat... gives a nice smooth finish.. easy to apply with a rag.

A satin finish was applied on my 150 here

unnamed.png
FB_IMG_1483620418543.jpg
@okitoki, what type of wood did you use in that plinth?

I guess it depends on the lighting... plus I did put more than 10 coats of poly with a sand with fine grid paper between each coat... 

This was before the wipe on. (yes.. messed up the bottom with the biscuit cutter there :D )

20160516_163752_zpsobn4vfal.jpg

another before/after with jarrah

20160509_105251_zpsz5jtohhq.jpg

IMG-20160510-WA0000_zps2czqjhuu.jpeg

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, okitoki said:

I guess it depends on the lighting... plus I did put more than 10 coats of poly with a sand with fine grid paper between each coat... 

This was before the wipe on. (yes.. messed up the bottom with the biscuit cutter there :D )

20160516_163752_zpsobn4vfal.jpg

another before/after with jarrah

20160509_105251_zpsz5jtohhq.jpg

IMG-20160510-WA0000_zps2czqjhuu.jpeg

My jarrah one is just beeswax. Do I need to use a remover before applying the poly? @okitoki

10 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

My jarrah one is just beeswax. Do I need to use a remover before applying the poly? @okitoki

instruction on product

Previously Coated Timber
Previously varnished surfaces need to be sanded to a dull finish. Remove all sanding dust before coating. Thoroughly clean the surface with Floor Clean and allow to dry.

Apply one coat to a small test area. Allow to dry for 6 hours. Press sticky tape firmly to the surface and pull off quickly. If the coating comes off, sand back to bare timber. If coating adheres well, sand the entire area with 180 - 240 grit paper for good adhesion, remove dust, then follow application instructions

I have done a few quicky job by using a 240 to 400 grit on a previous old turntable, quick wipe to clean the dust, then a few code of poly... nice shinny finish after... 

but for lighter colour wood... the visual is not so dramatic as shown as this experiment i did before with Marri and Pine.... 

FB_IMG_1472280066050_zpsb1j2wytz.jpg

12 minutes ago, dave1 said:

look like Bunnings only stock Jarrah and pine.  hard to find oak or similar wood with nice grain

check gumtree... I managed to find some carpenters with offcuts of some nice wood.... 

Another place I found were at my local men's shed... they had old timbers to recycle (fence post, floor boards, veranda, etc) which after some dressing came out wonderful... Im back to work now, so dont get a chance to go there anymore... 

Guest jakeyb77
7 hours ago, dave1 said:

look like Bunnings only stock Jarrah and pine.  hard to find oak or similar wood with nice grain

I have bought some amazing wood from here Dave 

http://www.alewistimber.com.au/

also there are recyclers etc in Port Melbourne. Can find them on Gumtree 

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, okitoki said:

Looks like i will try this gloss black challenge too :)

I brushed the undercoat and first gloss. 

Will lightly sand and do another gloss with a foam roller. See what the results are. Other option is to use my spray gun for final coat. 

44 minutes ago, okitoki said:

The use of Vinyl Spackling is completely unnecessary IME.  Any decent automotive primer will seal the edges without any problems.  These are some speakers I sprayed starting with standard grey coloured auto primer. 

zd5l4 (Medium).JPG

Guest jakeyb77

Sanded with 800 and 1200 today then two coats gloss black spray. The silver strip on the front has been masked. Just gonna source some new chrome spikes 

IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9489.JPG

Edited by jakeyb77