ISF Calibration Photos

Apologies for the lack of photos lately. It's been crazy, busy and while that's a good thing for any small business, it does mean that you get a little behind. Anyway... I thought I would share some photos of a gaming setup I recently did. The TV is a Samsung KS9000 and the client (featured in the photo) is playing Battlefield 1 on a PS4.

KS9000 1.jpg

KS9000 2.jpg

KS9000 3.jpg

• Like 2

I've been alpha testing a video game build for over a year now [I'll be SO Glad when it gets released - somewhat over it ].

My problem is the picture viewed on my calibrated PC monitor, if viewed via the same PC build for Graphic processing/Gaming, if moved into the lounge room, on my calibrated Sony TV, doesn't look the same.

I've read and forgotten :emot-bang: that there is a basic difference I need to take into account when running a PC into a TV, Black level settings I imagine.

Could you refresh my memory on what it should be....TV is currently setup for Blueray playback via PS3/4.

It's only that having to test this game for hours on end on a 24" Monitor at close range is totally screwing my eyesight up...I'd much rather test it hooked up to the TV where I can do the same in a much more comfortable environment.

The game in question is called Formula Fusion, it's being made by ex Studio Liverpool people, who started up their own company ' R8 Games', the same ones that made the Wipeout Anti Gravity Racing series

here is a few video's of one track 'Mannahatta' as it was 4 months ago.

Compared to the current build a few days ago.

Hi Tweaky,

You're thinking of video levels versus PC levels. PC sets black at 0 and white at 255, whereas video black is 16 and video white is 235 (allowing above white and below black information, in theory at least). Unless there's an input designed for PC levels on your TV it will be converting the signal to video level. 

I hope this helps... very cool project by the way! :-)

sorry to be slightly off topic but im trying to seek information on weather to purchase the Spectracal C6-HDR or i1 Pro 2 Basic kit. wanting to utilise this equipment for HDR etc calibration. can any one provide any suggestions? also what are the best prices. Amazon?

thanks, greatly appreciated. 

What are you wanting to calibrate, and what software do you intend using?

If you just want to calibrate a PC monitor is one thing, if you want a calibration setup that can do PC / TV & Projectors, well you might want something else.[better server with the latter]

Firstly forget Amazon....if things screw up you will get NO help from them.

In Australia, basically the only place I recommend buying a meter from is Image Science....they are in VIC, so even better for you.....reason being if bought from Amazon, the meter could have been used and found faulty, put back in stock, staff forget, it ends back in stock, and you could end up buying it.

Meters go out of whack if not stored properly or handled well, leaving one in a boot of a car, or in direct sunlight, is going to kill a meter, as they are temperature effected.

https://imagescience.com.au/

As for software, well get something easy to use and understand how to use.

For a diligent home user that want's to keep there visuals as good as they can get, without spending mega $$ , you can't really go past Chroma Pure Plus -you won't need PRO [don't get the lesser ones ]

http://www.chromapure.com/products-chromapure.asp

When you get the software and install it, if using a Xrite i1Display Pro meter [recommended - as anything else at this level takes ages to read] you need to register the meter with the software.....so Chorma Pure will ask for the meters serial number when purchasing it [ BUY Meter before software obviously ] then they will send you a email that opens the software up to use with that meter [ You Can't Use Other Meters with it ]... unless they too are registered to be used with the software.....I don't think it is Chromapure that insists on this, but rather Xrite, with all their meters.

Don't forget your Test Disc...I just burn one and give it to anybody I calibrate for [family usually]....you can get that download from the AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

A step by step guide to video calibration with ChromaPure can be found here.[ A MUST READ for anybody that want's to calibrate their visuals .... it will save you a heap of time, and is very easy to understand ]

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Look, buying a meter of any worth, and software that will do it justice is going to cost you around US. $300 for the software and AUS $359 ATM from Image science ......I've been payed back with the $$ equivalent in Vino & beer of the 5 year since I first bought it....it's a investment Yes, but worth it in the long run

Edited by Tweaky

Thanks Tweaky.

What i really want this equipment for is to calibration of my uhd tvs (now and future) (Mainly).

software i was learning towards Calman 5.*** which many people seem to use. As i1 Basic Pro 2 package from various stores i believe includes the Calman basic software.

In regards to Test discs i already utilise a few and they seem to be great for now but i would like to have a more accurate calibration utilising 2 point and 10 point colour adjustments on the display. 

You have a PM genkifd

I'd recommend the ChromaPure over the Calman software, if not just for sheer ease of use.

Both software can do the same thing, results gotten are more due to how methodical you are when doing the calibration....IE: Make sure the TV/PJ etc is fully warmed up before starting, and if you need to, and CAN get into your displays service menu [have code or button pressing routine written down on how to get into the service menu, written down on a piece of paper, and keep it in your Test Disc's cover ] , where the uber fine adjustments can be found - depends on product / manufacturer  - WARNING - if in a service menu, always write down the original settings BEFORE changing anything, as it's very easy to totally screw things up unless you know what you are doing.

Why the service menu?

Well usually you can only adjust the Red/ Green/ Blue of a set, but if you visual display has Magenta/ Cyan/ yellow adjustment, they are usually found hidden away in the service menu.....both software programs above can also measure these parameters.

Unless running a video processor, you only need to calibrate for your best source, which more than likely will be Bluray, either standard or 4K version, so getting bogged down with measuring and adjusting parameters needlessly is not what you want to be doing.

Getting you Brightness & Contrast correct is always the first step regardless of standard definition, HD or UHD....all colour information is built on top of your B&W information.

So the better you can get that, the better you picture will be, period

Edited by Tweaky

On 28/11/2016 at 10:28 AM, Rec. 709 said:

It's pretty hard to go past OLED at the moment. My only caveat is that it won't go as bright as an LED for HDR. If you prefer LED Samsung's higher end panels and Sony's Z9 (with local dimming) are good choices.

*edited typo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How are you finding the brightness uniformity of these new screens, of either type ?

Are they both still suffering at the edges.....I often long for a CRT display of old, with Black that were Black, and screens that didn't judder with fast moving objects, and even brightness across the screen.

We lost a lot when we collectively went Digital, it's only very recently that the tech is managing to claw it's way back to a picture that is comparable......more detailed, I grant you, but detail presented poorly is exactly that, and all the more obvious for it.

21 hours ago, Tweaky said:

How are you finding the brightness uniformity of these new screens, of either type ?

Are they both still suffering at the edges.....I often long for a CRT display of old, with Black that were Black, and screens that didn't judder with fast moving objects, and even brightness across the screen.

We lost a lot when we collectively went Digital, it's only very recently that the tech is managing to claw it's way back to a picture that is comparable......more detailed, I grant you, but detail presented poorly is exactly that, and all the more obvious for it.

Hi Tweaky, I haven't noticed any uniformity issues as yet, but I tend to favour APL patterns rather than full field patterns (which is the best way to see problems with screen uniformity). I need to be very careful with clients, as they often don't want these issues pointed out to them, so I tend not to go looking unless they ask. :-)

Agree... it's managing to slowly claw its way back. My first 'serious TV' was an 86" Widescreen Trinitron and apart from having some geometry issues, was a very nice TV.

Just now, Rec. 709 said:

Hi Jakey, it's very rare to find a TV or projector that doesn't have greyscale error. The few that I have encountered that weren't too bad, had other errors that needed to be fixed and after fixing the other errors the greyscale needed to be re-calibrated anyway. :)

Guest jakeyb77
14 minutes ago, Rec. 709 said:

Hi Jakey, it's very rare to find a TV or projector that doesn't have greyscale error. The few that I have encountered that weren't too bad, had other errors that needed to be fixed and after fixing the other errors the greyscale needed to be re-calibrated anyway. :)

We plan to make a HT room next year so I'll wait till then and have it done. Using a cheap DLP for now. 

On 12/8/2016 at 8:47 AM, genkifd said:

Thanks Tweaky.

What i really want this equipment for is to calibration of my uhd tvs (now and future) (Mainly).

software i was learning towards Calman 5.*** which many people seem to use. As i1 Basic Pro 2 package from various stores i believe includes the Calman basic software.

In regards to Test discs i already utilise a few and they seem to be great for now but i would like to have a more accurate calibration utilising 2 point and 10 point colour adjustments on the display. 

I think you will find Chromapure is by far the easier of the two packages to use for TV or projector calibration.  In term of calibration Chromapure will also allow you do perform 2 or 10 point greyscale calibration and CMS just like Calman.  Both will deliver great result.  But whether you can do 2 point or 10 points greyscale adjustment is decided by calibration control of your display.   Most of the better known brand TVs will provide control for 10 points greyscale adjustment and 6 colour CMS. 

Copied & pasted from Curt Palme CRT

ChromaPure 3 is now available for download!

This is the most comprehensive upgrade in the product's history. ChromaPure has been completely redesigned to make it more powerful and even easier to use.

Upgrade Pricing from version 2.x is available for existing users. Those who purchased ChromaPure on or after December 18, 2014 are entitled to a free upgrade from version 2.x.

New Features

New streamlined and efficient user interface
Enhanced user-configurable reporting
User-defined automated measurements
Multiple gamma runs on one chart for comparison
12/21 pt selectable Lumagen LUT auto-calibrate
User-selectable dynamic range for grayscale and gamma
dE method selectable by module
System-wide gamma, select once and apply everywhere
Calibration Templates for unlimited customized measurements and reporting
Support for sRGB gamma
Support for Rec. 2020 gamut

Bugger, I bought my copy 3 months before.....looks like I'm up for a $$ upgrade.

Edited by Tweaky