Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers (Australia)

Any can recommend a reliable Hifi Repair or authorised audiolab service place, need to fix my MDAC. Been trying to contact sound reference where I bought it from but no one seems to be responding. 

TIA

Hi Guys,

My Yamaha AS2000 Amp has decided it only wants to go into protection mode😥

Has been sitting unused for over 12 months and have tied all the usual stuff (Unplugged everything, Factory reset) but no joy.

So need a recommendation for a repairer please preferably South East Melbourne.

Cheers Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

G'day, this is my first post. I purchased the Sansui from a second-hand shop in Bathurst for next to nothing. Haven't used the unit in more than a decade. Pulled it out of storage yesterday only to find it covered with dirt, dust and spider-webs. Can anyone recommend anyone in NSW [or SA] who would be willing to repair this Sansui?

HI  I am new here

I have a Marantz cd5400   it quite often can't read CDs

I did try to fix the problem by myself with youtube video,    adjusting small screw on the pickup 

but I ruined it..  adjustable screw came off.   

I need to have a new pick up for CD player

Could anyone recommend a good audio repair with reasonable rate in Adelaide ?

Hi guys, my Nakamichi pa-50 has recently deceloped an issue, the amp produced noticeable distortion of the signal, like too much gain coming to the speakers?? Anyway, I need a reliable and possibly not uber expensive technician in Melbourne, what do you recommend? I am open to also  have stereonet member to look at it. 

Thank you!!

Hi guys, do you know where I can bring my Nakamichi pa-50 for repair in Melbourne? Thank you

Hey friends,

Can anyone recommend a tech close to Melbourne/Mornington Peninsula in Vic who could possibly be up for some or all of the below repairs or mods?

I've collected a few early Philips and Marantz CD Players, all with TDA1540 DAC aside from one using TDA1541, the Marantz CD75II. Most could use at least a general service, some are only partially working and need repair. I'd like all to be working at their peak, so I'd take advice on recapping where needed too. The Marantz CD75II I'm considering mods, and also considering NOS and/or other mods with the others.

See below for basics on the units.

Marantz CD44-Tray a bit lazy, faint and thin signal from one side (could just need a re-solder).

Marantz CD54-OK but takes sometimes 15 mins to read first CD of the session, then reads quickly. Looks like it's had some mods?

Marantz CD84-Needs a good internal clean and spruce up. It works but seems to distort at higher vols. The display takes a long time to light up.

Marantz CD75II-Works great but considering adding extra dac and tube buffer

Philips CD303-had crackly volume when first started and now its basically just distortion with some faint music signal in the background.

Thanks for considering,

Rockrolley

I have owned a Luxman LV 105u since the late 80's and enjoyed it immensely for 30 odd years since. A couple of years ago the main power fuse blew and did it again when I replaced it. At least two capacitors (that I can see) have failed, but that may not be the sole cause of failure. .
Although I have since replaced it with a Luxman M-03, and a NAD 658 streaming pre-amp, I would like to repair the 105u, if only for the phono stage and pure analogue capability. I still have a Thorens TT with Grace G707 arm and Grace F8L cartridge (also SME arm and ADC XLM11, Connoisseur BD2, TEAC reel to reel etc for those into nostalgia).

I also have the 'matching' D105u CD player, which refuses to load a disc now - but would also like to have this functioning again if possible at a reasonable price.

That's the back story.
My question: Can anyone recommend a repairer that can be trusted to do the necessary work, including tuning the bias etc, and at a reasonable cost (of course)?  Preferably in Melbourne, but I am prepared to ship interstate if necessary.

Electronics Today at Lane Cove in Sydney has done great work for me on speakers, CD players and an amp. Recommended as competent and economical.

tony

• Like 1

Bumping over from a new thread I created (apologies admin).

I recently purchased a Myryad MCD600 second hand off this forum. For a few weeks (perhaps 3 uses of approximately an hour) it was working well. I have just turned it on and it had a few skips, but then started cutting out for 5 - 10 seconds. It sounds like a relay is clicking in and out, but I'm not really sure. I'm a little gutted by this and just want to get this great unit working properly.

The Myryad website has Indi listed as the Australian distributor, but apparently they haven't been the distributor for sometime. I can't seem to find any contact details on the Myryad UK website.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for where I could get this fixed for a reasonable price. I'm located in Melbourne (Inner South East). Not sure how unique or generic the Myryad gear is.

I took my Nakamichi power amp to JLS electronics in Doncaster, they called me a couple of days later providing some feedback re. Repair job. Whilst the amp is still with them to assess any other issues, it was reassuring to know their communication skills are really good.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 11:50 AM, tortello77 said:

I took my Nakamichi power amp to JLS electronics in Doncaster, they called me a couple of days later providing some feedback re. Repair job. Whilst the amp is still with them to assess any other issues, it was reassuring to know their communication skills are really good.

Agreed. I had similar good experience with JLS.

G'day Folks.

This is not a recommendation, but I know myself and many other members are on the hunt for reliable speaker repairs.

Located in Melbourne.

I found this listing on face book...  sorry, I could only grab a screen shot, not a link.

Screenshot_20210721-222335.thumb.png.d69f6113d3e48fa056f28824809f96ef.png

Does anyone have any experience with theses guys?

Regards.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
Added location.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:31 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day Folks.

This is not a recommendation, but I know myself and many other members are on the hunt for reliable speaker repairs.

Located in Melbourne.

I found this listing on face book...  sorry, I could only grab a screen shot, not a link.

Screenshot_20210721-222335.thumb.png.d69f6113d3e48fa056f28824809f96ef.png

Does anyone have any experience with theses guys?

Regards.

Ant.

Hey Ant,

I had a pair of speakers taken to a guy closer to Brunswick some years back that fixed a tweeter issue for me and there was another (very helpful member) here that worked on some older Sansui’s for me. 

I will message you a few more details, shortly once I track them down. 

Cheers

Keith

• Thanks 1

Hey all,

Looking for recommendations to fix a touchy 70s TOTL Trio/Kenwood amp - I'm inner North Melbourne. Full story below.

I've bought a 70s silverface era Kenwood Model 600 from a fellow member and started having troubles with it after a first listen. The right channel died - I suspect something may have been knocked loose in transit.

Member assured me that he has had no issues with it in the past and I'm inclined to believe them.

Having given the amp to a repairperson I've used in the past - well regarded in Melbourne, they claim to have fixed and thoroughly bench and play tested the amp. When I got it back, the amp cooked a transistor, this time in the left channel almost immediately.

Having taken it back to the original repairshop, they have had multiple attempts at repair but the main point they came back to was that "the output stage seem to be very critical where a lot of other amp designs not so much". Original spec transistors they are looking to replace are coming up difficult to find (2SC1116A and 2SA747A). When they've tried to source replacements, they were not to spec and at that stage, given the COVID rush, they decided that further investigation/rebuild was not worth their time and now the Kenny is back at home looking very quiet.

There is a thread unearthed that covers some of the challenges involved here, where a persistent repairman managed through a dozen+ revisions get a stable amp with modern transistors.

Is there anyone you can recommend who would be comfortable to take on a repair (which I'm suspecting at this stage is a near full rebuild) for a vintage TOTL given all the dicking around that that will involve??

I cherish vintage gear and really want to ensure this guys is good for another 20 years...

image.png.e75fe3a1f875d60e5f14515c261da75e.png

Cheers!

• Love 1

Hi, 

I have an Emotiva Amp UPA-500 that requires repair as it's not powering at the moment. No issues with the fuses when checked using a multi-meter. 

Any repairer recommendations please within Melbourne? 

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Thorens
On 02/09/2018 at 6:15 PM, Sub Sonic said:

Unfortunately Inept also ruined a custom amplifier I had... by simply neglecting to place heatsink paste between a transistor and mica washer. The resulting problem took out a number of other components in the amp and also smoked a coaxial speaker driver.

I’ve just been given an amp to repair that has been sitting at inept for 12 months. I make no comment except look at the quality of their soldering. And note the capacitor was dry jointed and not even attached. Some of the electro caps were replaced with cheap Chinese types of different brand on each channel. Evidence of different driver transistors placed in each channel. I’m shocked. 

0A29B203-1FB1-4AF5-9ECF-9AF55FECEB14.jpeg

580691F0-BD30-4FB7-B4C5-2AA9B2768C25.jpeg

Edited by Mr Thorens

2 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

I’ve just been given an amp to repair that has been sitting at inept for 12 months. I make no comment except look at the quality of their soldering. And note the capacitor was dry jointed and not even attached. Some of the electro caps were replaced with cheap Chinese types of different brand on each channel. Evidence of different driver transistors placed in each channel. I’m shocked. 

0A29B203-1FB1-4AF5-9ECF-9AF55FECEB14.jpeg

580691F0-BD30-4FB7-B4C5-2AA9B2768C25.jpeg

That’s less than stellar…

Some people have apparently had a good run through there but unfortunately I’m not one of them.

Cheers,

SS

• Like 1

Likely mentioned earlier, but can't say enough good things about William (Will/Bill) Crampton (The Factory Audio) in Canberra. Has worked on pure tube amps to pure solid state and excellent to deal with. Really nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and good communication.

Any questions PM me

• Like 2

Guest Mr Thorens

If it’s helpful, I am doing vintage amplifier repairs and recaps in Adelaide and because I’m only doing a small volume my turnaround time is usually 2-4 weeks. Eg Pioneer Marantz Luxman Sony Technics etc. Also some surprising need for repairs to older turntables especially the BSR/ Garrard variety. 

F5EEA1BD-B21B-4CBC-B01C-A5291D3422F0.jpeg

A24335C1-3921-455E-9C08-DBDB5A130F7F.jpeg

F5F4C22E-B03E-4D91-84D7-A756B9E55484.jpeg

C47EFB32-14CB-42A3-954B-36F2168231CD.jpeg

FFBBA445-06F6-4EB0-9253-AC8EF67EC82C.jpeg

E270CB70-8363-4D3D-9735-D3836C0D2EA6.jpeg

C377BB2A-664C-47E0-A18F-6E841A158B73.jpeg

Edited by Mr Thorens

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2021 at 9:18 PM, davm said:

I can recommend JLS Electronics in Doncaster.

The owner, Joe, is ex-Encel so has a lot of experience with Luxman, especially the older models.

Any other recommendations for Melbourne? JLS isn't taking work and wouldn't give an estimate or wait list. And that was before this current lot of restrictions so who knows when they will be looking for work again.

On 15/08/2021 at 10:55 AM, Mr Thorens said:

If it’s helpful, I am doing vintage amplifier repairs and recaps in Adelaide and because I’m only doing a small volume my turnaround time is usually 2-4 weeks. Eg Pioneer Marantz Luxman Sony Technics etc. Also some surprising need for repairs to older turntables especially the BSR/ Garrard variety. 

@Mr Thorens Thoughts on tackling this?

20210823_171846.jpg

20210807_181807.jpg

• Like 1