Music related Doco's

Jools Holland - Walkin' to New Orleans (probably of interest to k-k-k-kenny)

cheers

mick

You're darn tootin'.  Just took the opportunity to watch a scrap of Jools Holland & Fats Domino from that show: though it's pretty light-hearted, JH knows and respects this music.

When the boys were here recently, we had to go here, though it looked kinda deserted

post-108525-0-77994100-1463788388_thumb.

I left a note for the Fat Man, tho I don't really expect it to have reached him.

• Like 1

Guest Runaway

Has anyone seen the series "Live from Abbey Road" on Foxtel?  I only managed to record about 5-6 episodes and they are staying permanently on the machine.  The studio invites a number of bands and singers, and the episodes would show clips from the Abbey Road webcam, short interviews with the band, records them from setting up leading into the songs (about 3-4 groups each episode and each group would play 2-3 songs).  There is something quite natural and raw about them playing in this fashion.

I managed to obtain a DVD of the series one (apparently there are series 2,3 and 4) and there is a blu-ray version which is very much in demand.  The DVD's clips are shorter than the episodes (I would really really like to get hold of the episodes!)  The groups and singers are very impressive - Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Seal, Wynton Marsalis, John Mayer, Florence and the Machine, Killers (doing a spectacular version of Are We Human with orchestral backing), etc, etc, etc.  You can scan through and pick your musical tastes. I hook up Foxtel and my DVD player to the amp and the music/ vision gives me goosebumps sometimes.  

There is an episode where various groups plays tribute to the Beatles and each would do a Beatles song, with clips of Phil Spector.  

Absolutely recommended if you can lay your hands on this. 

post-152056-0-78821300-1463974976_thumb.

Edited by Runaway

Soundbreaking: Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music

Channel 9, next episode 4 Monday 30 May 10.20pm

http://soundbreaking.com/episodes/episode-four/

http://soundbreaking.com/

originally from PBS USA

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-presents-soundbreaking-stories-from-the-cutting-edge-of-recorded-music-to-premiere-at-sxsw/

< SOUNDBREAKING: STORIES FROM THE CUTTING EDGE OF RECORDED MUSIC, an upcoming eight-episode PBS series that explores the extraordinary impact of recorded music on the modern world.  SOUNDBREAKING was the last project produced by legendary music producer Sir George Martin who passed away on March 8.  The series combines unprecedented access to some of the most celebrated music artists, producers and innovators with rare archival studio footage and an extensive musical soundtrack, to deliver one of the most wide-ranging series on the art of music recording. >

• Like 1

This is Spinal Tao

Ah, the underground Chinese remake of This Is Spinal Tap, I must seek it out.  :D

And yes Spinal Tap was so good you thought it was real.  A friend bought the soundtrack album when it came out, from Brash's I think,and they had filed it in the "Groups" section under "S".

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

See if you can find this 2hour Movie/Doco on the Life of Joe Meek-who wrote/produced and made the band  The Tornados--that recorded Telstar--the First UK Instrumental hit to go #1 in the US

features young James Corden and Kevin Spacey--

Its bitter sweet  with the Gay movement evident and the infighting/rivalries/etc of the 60's Music scene in the UK--Meeks Hit Telstar made Millions for the Record company --he died Broke never saw a Penny due to malicious 

copyright Lawsuit-that was drawn out only for his lawyers to take all his £££'s due

Sad /funny/very swinging' 60"s but one of the better flics of  the period Music Scene--recommended.

Wilco

PS Ha!--just Googled --I see Amazon has it with runtime of 117Mins--my version I have is 154Mins-- someones shortchanged the punters--hmmm:(

JM1.jpg

Edited by Willco

a couple more have passed my eyeballs lately...

the promise - the making of darkness on the edge of town 2010

records collecting dust 2015

vinylmania when life runs at 33 revolutions per minute 2012

• Like 1

On 20/05/2016 at 11:57 PM, ericd said:

The series FONKO! being screened on NITV recently has been excellent, documenting some contemporary music across Africa. Narrated by Neneh Cherry.

Ep3 still up on sbs on demand: http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/438803523761

I've seen a couple of these. NITV has some good music docos.There's usually something on every week.

On 03/06/2016 at 3:45 PM, RoHo said:

Ah, the underground Chinese remake of This Is Spinal Tap, I must seek it out.  :D

And yes Spinal Tap was so good you thought it was real.  A friend bought the soundtrack album when it came out, from Brash's I think,and they had filed it in the "Groups" section under "S".

A Mighty Wind is quite funny too. From the same crew that made Spinal Tap only this time they take on folk music.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter the Greek

I cant believe that no one has mentioned ABCs:

- Love is in the air

- blood and thunder: the sound of alberts 

Both excellent 

Edited by Peter the Greek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5574940/

This is worth watching " New Edition Story" 3 part mini series, have only watched part 1 so far.

By end of it I was thinking to myself, it wasn't the downloaders that ruined the music industry it was the blood sucking record companies and managers that ripped off the artist. The downloaders did the artists a favour and got rid of these low lifes.