RSD 2016 Vinyl Scores

tubularbells

So what did you come home with?. Did you go at all?.

Personaly I found Melbournes I bit disappointing and worse than last year and only ended up coming home with 4 titles. Never mind the overpriced RSD crap as personally I don't even bother but the general availability of other stuff wasn't that great, at least no different to my normal scouting sessions. Most of the stuff picked up we're just alternate versions to what I already have but yeah I went and can chalk it off for another year.

Also felt seriously left out in the crowd as I was the only guy without a slick hairdo, Ned Kelly beard and tat sleeves.....grrrr

post-122789-0-04201400-1460784542_thumb.

• Like 4

It seems to me that RSD has become a marketing gurus idea of paradise, a money making scheme.

Initial concept was admirable, and in some ways it still does bring focus to all things vinyl.

But today's practice seems more about money collecting, and after sales gouging. 

• Like 2

For the past years I had only been to Title Surry Hills and Redeye in Sydney.

This year I had a nice adventure in Melbourne CBD and Northside. I went into 13 record shops to check out what RSD releases are available. Also as a visitor, checking out what Melbourne record stores are about.

I found only half of those shops sell RSD titles. All has very small selection of RSD titles, like less than 10. Only Basement Discs and Titles have more than 10 titles. The rest all have big RSD posters all over their shops and not selling even one RSD title! So obviously a marketing exercise to sell anything! But was great to see so many crowd of all ages in these record shops buying vinyl!

I did not get any RSD titles. The one I really want I couldn't find in any of the shops I went to.

I did however come back with 3 old releases with 20% discount.

Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

- Always wanted this but it was too expensive. It turned out to be the cheapest available anywhere currently with the discount! $52 after discount.

Devendra Banhart - Mala

- I have only ever seen this album on the shelf in JB HiFi The Gallery Sydney Store for $90. Never think that anyone will buy this as I have seen every time since I was in there. Today in Melbourne Bourke Street store it's $27.90 with 20% discount!

Delta Swamp Rock: Sound from the South - At the crossroad of rock, country and soul. volume 2

- I have the Vol. 1. The SQ is just superb. Now I have 2 in this series. Main reason is it contains Thirteen by Big Star. $24 after the discount!

It was a good day of adventure and loved the street vibes in Lygon, Brunswick, Johnston, Smith and Gertrude Streets. :)

e097d7fc89e98c90d5d6a77c1502b7c5.jpg

Edited by Y B

It seems to me that RSD has become a marketing gurus idea of paradise, a money making scheme.

Initial concept was admirable, and in some ways it still does bring focus to all things vinyl.

But today's practice seems more about money collecting, and after sales gouging. 

plus 1                Meh

So obviously a marketing exercise to sell anything! But was great to see so many crowd of all ages in these record shops buying vinyl!

Agreed with all of the above.  I didn't buy a thing yesterday.  RSD for me is like Valentines Day or Christmas - a wonderful concept that has been grossly distorted by marketing, capitalism and greed.  The only good thing about it is, like Christmas, it gets the kids excited.  In this case, the excitement is about vinyl, so at least some good comes out of this exercise.  

• Like 4

Agreed with all of the above. I didn't buy a thing yesterday. RSD for me is like Valentines Day or Christmas - a wonderful concept that has been grossly distorted by marketing, capitalism and greed. The only good thing about it is, like Christmas, it gets the kids excited. In this case, the excitement is about vinyl, so at least some good comes out of this exercise.

Hey there were some records being handed over to you still yesterday...

• Like 1

Agreed with all of the above. I didn't buy a thing yesterday. RSD for me is like Valentines Day or Christmas - a wonderful concept that has been grossly distorted by marketing, capitalism and greed. The only good thing about it is, like Christmas, it gets the kids excited. In this case, the excitement is about vinyl, so at least some good comes out of this exercise.

You summed up RSD, and how I feel about, perfectly.

I repeat - I didn't buy any records yesterday. :D

My heart secretly pumped hard as if it was on some premium Columbian cocaine as I was witnessing the 45rpm Kind of Blue being smuggled onto your (or the bearded gents) hands...

• Like 1

The last time I bought any special RSD releases was when Ritual was still open - I grabbed a few things the A389 label issued including an Ilsa 7" with a Bolt Thrower cover

But it's great seeing Round and Round filled with punters and I'm of the opinion that anything helping to keep small businesses like these afloat is a good thing. I also went down to record paradise for some live music and beers. Must have been 100 people in there when I was there

Anyway I got a pretty good haul yesterday (Gold Class record as well, not pictured)

e42e6dd1c586108ccbb963dbd39ff685.jpg

My heart secretly pumped hard as if it was on some premium Columbian cocaine as I was witnessing the 45rpm Kind of Blue being smuggled onto your (or the bearded gents) hands...

That hipster is my eldest son.  And I'm going to have to buy him a KOB box set, 'cos I gave his away to another SNA'er last night... 

It's a stunning pressing.  We gave it a spin last night  :love

That hipster is my eldest son. And I'm going to have to buy him a KOB box set, 'cos I gave his away to another SNA'er last night...

It's a stunning pressing. We gave it a spin last night :love

No way he looked like your little brother!

didnt buy any records or even go into a record store yesterday....I do that sort of thing anyways so why specifically should I do it on a day had other better things to be into.

:sarc:

I suspect its to draw people back in the shops and get into or re kindle what is a physical format. so I suspect it is more for the slick hairdo, ned kelly bearded, tattoo sleeved types as indicated by the original post.

hey the hipsters want to be onto anything thats "hip"

for rest of its ... its just life as usual :D 

seriously records have been on a massive growth curve. and it is physical its got something people can connect with...plus there is a whole thing about going into a record store flipping through records and listening to them that likely whole generation/s have not been aware off. if this does indeed re kindle that ...why not....perhaps for those of us already into in .... its a case of supporting that... in what is a good thing....

so when the bearded slick hairdo tatted sleeve types go in to the record store on record store days its not a ghost town  ! :D  sorry I didnt support that yesterday hehe  :unsure:

Spent 7 hours yesterday sanding the outside of my house ready for painting, how un RSD is that? To relax from the heady excitement of that, I played some RL Burnside and watched ULVER"S  The Norwegian National Opera dvd. That made it all better. :)

• Like 2

So, Record Store Day has come and gone, and sadly mine was pretty uneventful.  I was hoping to pick up a couple of Regina Spektor, Bonobo and a Coltrane, but my sons sleeping patterns didn't allow me to get out early enough, damn him :-).  Luckily I was able to satisfy my demons and found a few Augie March LP's instead.

So what did you all find out there?  Did you find what you were hoping for?  Stores were packed and seemingly understocked.

So to paraphrase

Present company excluded of course

The only people that buy records are hipsters or victims of advertising?

Too funny.   :D  Well played sir.  And absolutely spot on  ;)

• Like 1

Oh well only a couple of people bought a few records and the rest stayed away, that still doesn't help me get a copy of the Orb album i was lusting after.

So i would like to fall into the category of, non bearded type wanting an RSD release but was caught up at work.

I think this vinyl revival thing sucks, i haven't found a decent record at a fair, garage sale, market, car boot or charity shop for months...... Damn those hipsters and their beards (secretly lusting after big chops and a beard here)

Edited by TOPSHELF
  • Like 2

I came back from Beatdisc records with 3 titles. 2 pre-ordered, Robben ford, a day I Nasville, Sam smith for my daughter and tucked away in the Jazz section , Larry Carlton [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, every day is Record Store Day. I went yesterday though, venturing north over the river to try some new stores other than my excellent local, Quality Records. Spent most of the time cursing in gridlock looking for a park and then had just half an hour to run between three stores Polyester, Dixons, and some other store I can't remember. Overheard conversation between some 20 somethings - dude this is The Animals and has house of the rising sun. What's that? You never heard this song??? No. Oh dude!

Pretty funny, but I'm not judging - glad they're out there buying new music other than Kanye.

Picked up a couple of things - nothing remarkable. This year did feel different to previous years where there was a sense of camaraderie - we are doing this to keep these stores alive, kind of thing.

Finished up back at Quality Records where I had a nice browse in familiar turf. Chatted about music with a few people, dug the bins, wandered home. Done.

Could be worse, there could be no such thing.

• Like 1