WTB: Krell KCT Preamp

wooferocau

just shove a step down onto it.   That is the good thing about front end gear.

otherwise he may die waiting for an Aussie one.

I can't speak for that particular preamp, but some US models employ some heroic tricks to prevent operation outside their intended market. One of my clients moved here from the US with his high end US built preamp. It requires a new CPU so it will operate on 240VAC 50Hz. Supplying it with 117VAC was easy. The tricky part was supplying it with 60Hz. I did it, but the cost was high (ca. $1,000.00).

I can't speak for that particular preamp, but some US models employ some heroic tricks to prevent operation outside their intended market. One of my clients moved here from the US with his high end US built preamp. It requires a new CPU so it will operate on 240VAC 50Hz. Supplying it with 117VAC was easy. The tricky part was supplying it with 60Hz. I did it, but the cost was high (ca. $1,000.00).

Yep ,as far as i know you cant use a step down transformer with the KCT series..

I have had the opportunity to compare the Krell KRC-3 that i own to the KRC-HR and KCT that a friend owns.......the KCT is so much better than the other 2 its not funny...thus my search for one as futile as that may be.

He will sell me the KRC-HR, but to be truthfull there is bugger all between the KRC-3 and the KRC-HR..

Rare as hens teeth in Oz. I sold my 120v recently to a member here. You would need a chip change to allow it to work on local voltage, the unit will detect 50 Hz on a step down and go in to shut down. A PS Audio P-300 or similar than regenerates 240v/50 Hz to 120v/60 Hz would be an option if you could find a KCT 120v model.

Damn good pre by the way. Transparent and bulletproof. And CAST connectors.