Best A/v For Running 4 Ohm Speakers?

Hi all, new to this forum....building a new house so decided to re-do the surround sound from scratch and move my mains (Whatmough Duo) to 2 channel only.

Wife had a preference for in-wall speakers (don't all cringe), so went about looking for best I could at reasonable price.

Found JAMO kevlar series (at half price) for in ceiling rears (by 3) no problems as are 4/8 ohm switchable.

Found 3 Kef Ci 2000 reference series (http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/ci_series/ci2000.asp) at an absolute bargain price (ie 85% off....brand new).

Only problem is that they are 4 ohm (have been told that Kef are a stable 4 ohms).

I have a Marantz SR5400 (6 by 90w into 8 ohms).It has been suggested that this receiver will struggle to drive the Kefs, and even if it does it may void the warranty if something goes wrong. I am awaiting a written response from Qualifi (their tech said it should be OK...but I am unconvinced).

Many dealers have said the Denon 3806 will have no problems and will not void warranty, however on calling Denons aussie distributor I discovered I would indeed void my warranty.

Any thoughts? I am considering adding a 3 channel power amp just to drive the Kef's (fronts).

Budget around $1000.

Thanks Peter

Bummer about the spec. I saw the report Rick posted too. That is disappointing that it isn't speced for 4 ohm. I guess the options are (1) different speakers or (2) new AVR or (3) a seperate power amp. Possibly not the best time to be upgrading your AVR with new HD audio formats on the horizon.

Thanks for prompt replies Rick and Wineds......I guess it may have to be the power amp option as I have been told the Kef's are awesome given they are in walls (and this is coming from guys who sell $10k speakers). At the price I paid.....I didn't need an audition and I was promised I could return if any problems ( and yes I trust this one saleman....have dealt with him alot).

Guest alebonau

Thanks for prompt replies Rick and Wineds......I guess it may have to be the power amp option as I have been told the Kef's are awesome given they are in walls (and this is coming from guys who sell $10k speakers). At the price I paid.....I didn't need an audition and I was promised I could return if any problems ( and yes I trust this one saleman....have dealt with him alot).

[/b]

I remember auditioning some kef reference floorstanders with very similar driver arrangement about 10 or so years ago Peter. And if theyre anything to go by I'd be hooking these up to some nice amps to bring out their best :angry:

You should have a very nice front stage with 3 of these.