Yes they are Bose, don't scoff!

Guest Y B

A friend wanted me to come over yesterday and checked his unwanted speakers, they have been stored away in his garage for many years. He has forgotten what the brand was. When he uncovered the speakers, I saw these vintage looking Bose and had no idea what they are. They look very sweet to me and I love the design, so I said I will take them. I pulled apart the covers when I got home, saw the unusual design and become more interested.

A quick Google on Bose 601 Series III, as usual, some people love them and some don't think they are anything great.

I set them up this morning and had a quick listen. I found them quite wonderful, the soundstage is big, clarity of sound is great and very enjoyable to listen to. Some guys in some forums suggested that they sound the best with a minimum 200W amp. Alas what speakers wouldn't and I don't have an amp so powerful! I could be very happy if I were still at the starting up. Sure they are not the best speakers but for comparison sake, they are better than the first speakers I bought, Castle Knight 2 floorstands, and very close to B&W CM8!

I am not a collector, although I love the design but I have no space for them.

Anyone here knows how much they are worth, if I were going to sell them and treat my friend to an expensive restaurant? They are in very good nick as you can see in pictures, only a few small blemishes and light scratches beside the dent on one of the dust caps. I pulled it apart hoping that I can fix it but nope. It's dated 1990. Would someone collect these speakers?

Bose601-3-1.jpgBose601-3-2.jpgBose601-3-3.jpgBose601-3-4.jpgBose601-3-5.jpgBose601-3-6.jpgBose601-3-7.jpgBose601-3-8.jpgBose601-3-9.jpgBose601-3-10.jpg

Edited by Y B

Despite the fact that in Hi Fi circles Bose are not regarded well ,they sell extremely easily and if you look back through past ebay sales  Bose 601 Series III sell for between $750 - $1100.

Dust cap on speaker should pop out with the aid  of a vacuum cleaner. If yours has adjustable suction start low.

Edited by EVcali

@ thank you for your suggestion, will certainly give the vacuum a try.

P.S.: My handheld Dyson DC59 doesn't suck hard enough  :(

Edited by Y B

@ thank you for your suggestion, will certainly give the vacuum a try.

Maybe use a towel between the vacuum nozzle and the dustcap to prevent a 'vacuum circle' appearing on the dust cover.

• Like 1

Is the magnet rear vented? If so, you could (very) carefully poke something through from the back to the front dust cover and pop it out that way. This has worked for me before.

SS

Bose601-3-11.jpgBose601-3-12.jpg

After taking off the ring washer, the dust cover is glued to the metal ring and the back looks fully sealed?

OMG! I have just listened to these speakers on the Sansui AU-D11 loud! (normal listening volume this morning), the soundstage is so wide, and the clarity of the sound is stunning! It beats my Wilson Benesch on these aspects but not as refined and detailed.

The soundstage is quite different. Bose is like smearing the sound wide open, for the Wilson Benesch it is clearly recognised where the sound is.

Edited by Y B

I'm surprised. My Dyson sucks very hard - tried turbo mode (with a towel as suggested by Mr. @@Cloth Ears])?

Unfortunately my first generation Dyson DC05 does not have turbo mode :(

They are open baffle speakers in a box - or, at least, that's what all the direct reflecting speakers appear to be trying to emulate. The drivers themselves and the lack of modelling tool available now are all that held them back from being great. Doesn't mean they weren't a good attempt at a little known method of reproduction.

Just out of curiosity is it real timber veneer?

Yes they are 19mm real timber all round, some suggested American wallnut but can't be sure!

Edited by Y B

List them on eBay.

Hopefully a meal at Momofuku with some great wine.  :)  

Edited by Y B