Preamp investigation- suggestions?

I have had a niggling thought for a while regarding upgrading my pre. It's going to be a long process of research as I am an inveterate (not invertebrate) procrastinator plus other life issues need to be behind me before taking much of a plunge.

So I thought I'd ask what the collective thinks regarding ways to improve on a Weston Touchstone TVC preamp given the following requirements-

1. Remote, at least for volume

2. Price no more than $1800

3. Better sonics than the Weston

I'm not hung up on tubes or SS so happy to consider anything, and obviously used is the most cost effective option. I'll be having a try of a Bryston BP16 soon to see if that ticks the boxes soundwise. The Melody 1688 or 101D sounds possibly promising but who knows when one will show up at the right price?

Bearing in mind I may have ruined it for myself by hearing an Audio Note M5 in my system recently (which would be well out of contention unfortunately due to price and no remote), what else would be worth considering?

Edit-

The List

Doge 8

Melody 1688/101D

ME

Line Magnetic 129 (?)

Electrocompaniet

Bryston BP16

Edited by thebigsteamythin

Doge 8?

Andy

That cropped up in my research too and I have heard good things firsthand as well.

Not for sale but if you want to try my Line Magnetic 129 it can be arranged!

Cheers Stump

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/YaBB.pl?board=hifi&action=display&num=1414535944

Very cool! Would it fit the budget if I could find one for sale? Then again it may not fit in my rack....

Try perhaps some Electrocompaniet to see if you like their sound.

Hmmm, worth a look.

W4s stp-se great preamp. I think somebody here is selling one s/h and in your budget

I reckon its sold, and I think the buyer is local to me....

I didnt buy it though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Doge8 -doesn't @gat747 keep selling and buying it back?

@@djb - I only sold it and bought it back once, then I sold it again and tried to buy it back but the seller wanted to hang onto it, I found another one after that.

Bear, the Doge might suit you but as you had a Weston I don't reckon the Doge would be better than Earl's pre.

• Like 1

Bear , just wondering what improvements are you looking for?

Or should I ask what character changes are you hoping to improve on?

Bear , just wondering what improvements are you looking for?

Or should I ask what character changes are you hoping to improve on?

Im not really sure to be honest Joe, guess I'm just curious to try and see if there is something out there thats affordable and sounds better to me. The Audio Note projected the soundstage forward in a way that I enjoyed, call it 3D if you will.

The only real character change is mine, gettin lazy and wanting that sweet sweet remote lazy goodness!

Keep the Weston, you won't better it for the clams you want to spend.

I suppose its just the idea of trying a few things to see if I like what they do. Its all subjective and who knows, you may be right

Suspect the insistence on volume via a remote will exclude several otherwise very good contenders.

RCA only?

How many components to be connected?

Yep, no need for xlr at this stage. Minimum of 3 inputs. To be honest if the weston had a remote I doubt I'd be tempted to try anything else.

I have been running a new Emotiva XSP- 1 Pre Amp for about 6 weeks and it has opened up my vinyl collection. The Phono preamp is fantastic. It has a remote - milled from a block of alloy and weighs more than any remote I have ever held if that is any indicator of quality. It is about $2k in Australia - I bought mine direct via a friend in LA. Its hooked up to an Emotiva 7 channel power amp. Have a look at the youTube video for a review. Specs are brilliant.

Can Earle retro-fit remote volume for you? being a TVC it's not as simple as adding a motorised pot but it's worth asking the question, I reckon.

Theoretically it is almost that simple. I did ask the question and it involves moving other components such as valves to make room and becomes an untenable proposition.

@@djb - I only sold it and bought it back once, then I sold it again and tried to buy it back but the seller wanted to hang onto it, I found another one after that.

Bear, the Doge might suit you but as you had a Weston I don't reckon the Doge would be better than Earl's pre.

Thanks G, thats valuable info mate!

Ive been offered a good deal on a Densen B200. Sharp looking thing that reviews well without caveats, but I cant try it out. Still curious about that Plinius too.

Sell the Weston and buy one with a remote?

I can't live without a remote too :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the budget includes selling my Weston too. So this option, while ideal in theory is sadly out of the question....dammit.

Unfortunately the budget includes selling my Weston too. So this option, while ideal in theory is sadly out of the question....dammit.

If you like tubey sound I really enjoyed PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 pre. About $800 less than your budget. And it comes with a chunky remote!

If you like tubey sound I really enjoyed PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 pre. About $800 less than your budget. And it comes with a chunky remote!

I like the philosophy. Even a brand new one seems like decent value (although out of my league). Sounds like another worthy contender!