Who's the best retipper these days?

Happy

Well the 2 main ones, or at least the most commonly used ones are Soundsmith in the US and Expert in the UK. I've used Soundsmith a couple of times with no issues but it takes a while and isn't cheap. Garrot Brothers via Tivoli (i think) are local but have never had any work done by them and haven't read much if anything about how their re-tipping service is.

A mate who used Expert Stylus around the same time as I used Soundsmith reported pretty much the same time span. The difference being that Expert books you in to a time slot in advance so you know when it should be done. Soundsmith just does it when it's got around to. Neither of them have a quick turnaround as I don't believe either of them are desperately searching for work. It's a boutique industry for sure but one that I believe is crying out for some more operatives in different parts of the world.

What cartridge did you manage to stuff up? Some manufacturers will repair.

Soundsmith takes at least a few months. I tried once a few years ago, it took more than five!

Yep, get him at a busy time and the wait is long. Even at a good time you can expect at least a couple of months. As I said, it's not a quick turnaround.

I seem to recall a post on Audiogon or Vinyl Asylum about an Asian chap doing work quite quickly for a reasonable cost but I'm buggered if I can remember his exact location or his name.

Definitely give Garrot Brothers a go, I used them 25 yrs ago, had 2 retipping done. But I wanna know what @@andyr's imput is because I have not used them for a while.

Well unless someone else is now running the company under the Garrott name, you might find it very difficult to get in touch with them. Sadly they both died, quite some time back, in tragic circumstances

• Like 1

Well unless someone else is now running the company under the Garrott name, you might find it very difficult to get in touch with them. Sadly they both died, quite some time back, in tragic circumstances

I know. I spoke to the person early this year

The thing about GB is that their price isn't all that competitive against SS. And SS gives you a ruby cantilever for the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just having a ruby cantilever doesn't necessarily mean it will be better than an aluminium or boron one. It depends if the design of the cartridge originally was with ruby. If your stylus fell off it's often a better idea having just a new stylus attached and keeping the original cantilever if it's intact. It all depends on the quality of the cartridge in the first place. What cartridge is it?

Just having a ruby cantilever doesn't necessarily mean it will be better than an aluminium or boron one. It depends if the design of the cartridge originally was with ruby. If your stylus fell off it's often a better idea having just a new stylus attached and keeping the original cantilever if it's intact. It all depends on the quality of the cartridge in the first place. What cartridge is it?

It is intact, but the stylus isn't going to be the same anyway?

Audio Technica AT50anv

This is what I received last week from SS when I sent in some retips couple of weeks ago.

"Thank you â we have now received your cartridge for rebuild or rapid evaluation, if you selected that option. Normal rebuild time is 8-14 weeks, depending on our workload. If you sent an original or Soundsmith B&O cartridge, rebuild time is 2-6 weeks. If you have sent us a Soundsmith Moving Iron cartridge, rebuild time is 1-4 weeks. Warranty repairs are worked on very soon after receipt. If you sent your cartridge for a paid evaluation, that takes 1-2 weeks.
You have not been billed yet"

Last retip took 10 weeks from when they received it.

Does your home and contents insurance cover accidental damage?

Edited by awty

This is what I received last week from SS when I sent in some retips.

"Thank you â we have now received your cartridge for rebuild or rapid evaluation, if you selected that option. Normal rebuild time is 8-14 weeks, depending on our workload. If you sent an original or Soundsmith B&O cartridge, rebuild time is 2-6 weeks. If you have sent us a Soundsmith Moving Iron cartridge, rebuild time is 1-4 weeks. Warranty repairs are worked on very soon after receipt. If you sent your cartridge for a paid evaluation, that takes 1-2 weeks.

You have not been billed yet"

Last retip took 10 weeks from when they received it.

Does your home and contents insurance cover accidental damage?

Not too sure :/

I guess I can wait as long as it's less than half a year. I just want the best retipper that's all. Really like this cart with my current phono.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that is common knowledge here. Tivoli are the link to getting re-tips from the Garrott brand. Can't recall his name ( could be Pierre, think the guy who does the work is french) but once I established contact in regards to re-tipping, it was a 3 week turnaround.

Have used Garrots at least 3 times in last decade, completely satisfied with their work.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 2