Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - best bargain in audio?

Mine arrived today and is now plugged in and pumping out tunes to an Accuphase DC37, via Roon. I'm also using the ifi power supply. 

Simplest setup I've ever had for a networked device. Plugged in, went to http://sonicorbiter.com/ and there was the device showing on my network. Picked up straight away and streaming DSD to it within 1 minute of unboxing. 

Too early for a detailed review of sounds quality, but first impressions are very positive. 

RoonReady worked perfectly... picked up by Roon instantly. Can also run Squeezebox and HQplayer. 

Some tweaking to come (eg bigger blob of blu-tack to stop the tiny thing being pulled over by the cables)! 

Here is a very, very big call for you... I THINK THIS IS BEST BARGAIN IN AUDIO SINCE THE SQUEEZEBOX TOUCH (and I like it much more than a Squeezebox... the Roon interface puts the rest solidly to shame). 

post-109110-0-05511200-1459933933_thumb.

post-109110-0-24564600-1459933934_thumb.

• Like 2

I got mine a month or two back when Auralic wouldn't make their Mini Roon compatible. Like you I also think they are a great little device and mine now gets a lot of use (unlike the Auralic Mini was getting). I will be very keen to hear how it matches with the DC37 as I am looking to get one of these myself.

Only complaint is the optical out which is badly designed and many cables won't plug into it fully. I took the (bad) advise from a forum and just made the case cutout a bit bigger. Looks like crap but at least now my cable fits securely. I use optical through my CDP (Accuphase) for music up to 96Khz and it sounds very good (not as good as playing a CD though). I believe the manufacturer recommends USB as the better output.

• Like 1

Al,

Does it read attached USB drives? ie does it run Roon server?  can you map a folder in Roon to an attached USB drive?

This will sound like a ridiculous question, but what does it do? I still don't know after a cursory glance at the Sonore website.

At work, amongst other things, I stream music using a TEAC UD501 USB DAC directly from a computer.

Would this play any part in such a system, or is it for some other purpose?

• Like 6

I'm using USB... works well. @@Jumbuck if your Accuphase CDP has a coax input try a cheap USB to coax converter (eg hiface2).

Now why didn't I think of that! I have one laying around somewhere too.

Al,

Does it read attached USB drives? ie does it run Roon server?  can you map a folder in Roon to an attached USB drive?

You can attached USB drives I believe. It doesn't run Roon as it is really just a Roon endpoint.

too.

This will sound like a ridiculous question, but what does it do? I still don't know after a cursory glance at the Sonore website.

At work, amongst other things, I stream music using a TEAC UD501 USB DAC directly from a computer.

Would this play any part in such a system, or is it for some other purpose?

As far as I know it's a renderer that sits between your computer or nas and your DAC.

If you have a second system then you could use the orbiter instead of another pc.

• Like 1

It actually looks remarkably like a Cubox - https://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i4x4/800x676xcubox-i-02-800x676.png.pagespeed

Actually it is a Cubox, with some custom linux on it by the look of it. I have a Cubox lying around somewhere. Hmmm. 

Explained here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-a-300-roon-endpoint-and-more/  

And taking myself out of this digital hole now...

Edited by Andrew S.
  • Like 3

What would be the benefit of this over an SBT as a Roon endpoint? I assume the ability to do MQA and airplay are the only things as I can't imagine SQ would be much different.

Been waiting for this to be released but it's been coming soon for a very long time..http://www.microrendu.sonore.us

edit: looks like June release for the US

Edited by devialetar

Some dumb questions - can anyone help?

Can I plug my external self powered hard drive via eSata to this gadget or does it only use USB?

Does it have Bluetooth or only Wifi if connected to a router? Would a Wifi dongle work?

Is the network connection required for initial setup only or does it need a permanent hard wire network connection?

Can it replace my laptop to play files from the external drive to my USB DAC?

Sorry the questions seem dumb but it seems unless you are a PC whiz this thing remains a mystery to me!

Hey Bilbo, this renderer does need a wired network connection to work.

No you cannot plug in a hard drive, it doesn't have wifi or Bluetooth.

It renders a network stream of your music library to play through your DAC.

For instance you have jriver on your office PC or music server, you could then put the renderer in another room and access the shared music from your office PC or server.

It's all about accessing your existing music library via your home network.

I'm with you guys who are struggling to understand this thing.

I always thought a renderer was a guy with a bad arm, who slapped sticky goop onto your wall to stop the rain coming in.

But Wiki says it's something to do with 3D graphics, or a large hot tub full of unspeakably smelly animal guts.

The Sonore site (apart from terrible grammar, spelling, and punctuation) tell you to plug something into the 'back' (of a cube - yeah). Then just when you feel you're getting somewhere, you realize they're actually talking about the microRendu, which hasn't even appeared yet. They are targeting big-spending westerners like that?

Think I need something cold in hurry - don't know whether to laugh (ronniecorbetter?) or cry sometimes.

Edited by BioBrian

I still have no idea what this thing does.  :confused:

It's a small Cubox Linux computer, that works as an ethernet>USB renderer. Hook it up to your network from one port, and to the USB input of your DAC from the USB port. Play music from your server. Music goes over the network to the SOSE and then out the USB to your DAC. 

It has a few advantages over some other methods of USB playback and a stock Cubox

1) Pretty much isolates your DAC from the computer noises of the server; it's basically a one board device, very quiet electronically. Quieter than pretty much any PC/Server. 

2) Is loaded with 6 "modes/software" meaning it can playback audio from just about any type of audio playback software/hardware known to audiophilia. This is part of the OS known as "Sonic Orbiter". 

3) It's a slightly more expensive model of Cubox with the motherboard/USB bus more optimally setup for audio than some of the other models

4) The OS is designed to do nothing except playback audio. That's all it does. 

5) Sonore have great customer service. I own a similar older unit - the SOtM SMS-100. I bought it second hand, not from Sonore. When I had some issues with it working with my DAC I contacted them, and Jesus at Sonore took the time to remotely logon to my device 2 different times and fix the issue. No charge. 

Edited by firedog
  • Like 5

It's a small Cubox Linux computer, that works as an ethernet>USB renderer. Hook it up to your network from one port, and to the USB input of your DAC from the USB port. Play music from your server. Music goes over the network to the SOSE and then out the USB to your DAC. 

It has a few advantages over some other methods of USB playback and a stock Cubox

1) Pretty much isolates your DAC from the computer noises of the server; it's basically a one board device, very quiet electronically. Quieter than pretty much any PC/Server. 

2) Is loaded with 6 "modes/software" meaning it can playback audio from just about any type of audio playback software/hardware known to audiophilia. This is part of the OS known as "Sonic Orbiter". 

3) It's a slightly more expensive model of Cubox with the motherboard/USB bus more optimally setup for audio than some of the other models

5) Sonore have great customer service. I own a similar older unit - the SOtM SMS-100. I bought it second hand, not from Sonore. When I had some issues with it working with my DAC I contacted them, and Jesus at Sonore took the time to remotely logon to my device 2 different times and fix the issue. No charge. 

So, this will differ from the new MicroRendu? Trying to determine whether to wait for that or just get an Orbiter now...

• Volunteer

So if you already just take USB from you computer into your DAC, would this device be redundant? Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 2

It's basically a very small, easy to use endpoint to serve music. The user interface is simpler and more user friendly than Squuezbox server and in my use to date it sounds better than a Squeezebox.

It's also simpler, smaller and cheaper than running a headless Mac or similar. Within 60 seconds of connecting it I was streaming DSD across my network.

For me the real advantage is for Roon users. Having a smal, cheap, good sounding end point that integrates seamlessly with Roon, streams high res content and is very stable.

• Like 2