facebook vinyl raffle group

Fair Play

Am I allowed to post this here?? Hope so.

The first thing I'll say is that I'm NOT IN ANY WAY affiliated with this page OR the people who run it. But I definitely feel it's worth sharing with the vinyl community here.

It's basically a vinyl raffle group which lists limited raffle tickets for rare records and other memorabilia. They're always mixing it up so there's something for everyone. It's a very friendly community - no trolls, lots of fun and of course it's a really cheap way to MAYBE get your hands on some quality rare vinyl. Ticket purchases for Australians includes postage and normally o/s participants get a postage discount with their ticket.

Have a look - I hope you like it. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rarerecordsraffles/

haha... yeah it's a great way for the sellers to make chunky profits at the expense of poor b's like me who could never afford to buy expensive rare albums. More than anything it's quite a bit of fun

I am sure it is fun ,so are Poker machines but they have a guaranteed return and are controlled by the Government.

There appears to be no control of this Face book site.

No real description of the condition of the records.

No way to know the tickets are actually limited.

No way to know if any one actually ever wins and receives the record.  

Even if none of the above is an issue the ethics and legality of this site is suspect.

So far you have spent $30 and received nothing  and you could have purchased a pretty good record for that amount.

Have fun but beware   ,if some thing sounds to good to be true it normally is.

I am sure it is fun ,so are Poker machines but they have a guaranteed return and are controlled by the Government.

There appears to be no control of this Face book site.

No real description of the condition of the records.

No way to know the tickets are actually limited.

No way to know if any one actually ever wins and receives the record.  

Even if none of the above is an issue the ethics and legality of this site is suspect.

So far you have spent $30 and received nothing  and you could have purchased a pretty good record for that amount.

Have fun but beware   ,if some thing sounds to good to be true it normally is.

I think what you're suggesting is that it "could possibly be a scam"? The skeptics among us would most likely agree and you raise some very interesting points that I didn't really think about questioning. I'm all for having a go, and personally know others on the site who have bought tickets and won. But that's neither here nor there.....your points are valid and caution is warranted. Personally, I like to go on gut feel. I've seen no reason in my dealings with these guys/girls to suggest there is anything untoward apart from profiteering... which never happens in the world of vinyl sales right??  :unsure:

Yes it's $30 that I'll never get back and yes I could have bought a decent record for that much but if I had've won I'd be a pretty happy camper... like the girl who actually did win! 

From what I can tell, the ethics of the group are not an issues - the legality on the other hand....at the end of the day it's just a recommendation. Feel free to make your own judgement (as you have) and take it or leave it. 

I suppose the only concerning thing from my perspective, is that I've posted something that others might perceive to be dodgy - So make your own mind up people - don't let my ignorance/nativity or "devil may care attitude" to life influence you :)  

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

So since that time, these things have become ubiquitous, popular, and trusted.

The ones on FB are proceeding without problems and the one in particular you call out, Rare Records raffles, have become hugely successful.

Why couldn't we do something similar on SNA?

I'd love to raffle off collections of 10-20 items in a Pack.

I'm sure some of our sellers here looking to sell larger collections could also benefit.

But even to raffle the larger value, one-off items would be great fun. :)

• Like 1

Agree wholeheartedly Jon. RRR are great guys and their fb page has great community feel. Good luck to them for being ahead of the game. 

I've stopped buying raffle tickets from them because I'm never on fb when they post good ones or the times I am I don't really like the prizes/albums on offer. The really good raffles normally get snaffled in a minute or so. Only the quick and the dead. 

Good luck with your quest mate. 

• Like 1

Most raffles are to raise funds for worthy causes so the fact that more money is raised than the actual item is worth is not an issue to the people who buy tickets.

But I do think most people would have an issue with raffles that appear to  mainly benefit an individual that is not in need of support.

If you are suggesting  that Stereo net supports and facilitates a raffle to help with the running cost of the site, that we all benefit from, I would support that and would probably have some vinyl I could donate.

Although you say this has now become ubiquitous the fact that only four of us have posted on this thread since April 6th 2016 and half of those do not support the idea of personal raffles, would appear to indicate not too much interest or support on this site