whats my vinyl worth

Guest JohnA

Guest JohnA

So looks like i will be selling off a heap of my vinyl and only keeping my most prized items.

Now most of the stuff, i know roughly what to charge, however i have a few that looking online has given me a little bit of a shock.

As i did double up onsome of them, i will sell the second copies, but want to be sure i get the pricing right.

Whats the best place to check what a piece of vinyl is worth.

And before people start pm'ing me to provide a list of what i'm selling PLEASE DONT.  I will list all for sale when the time is right

Discogs    https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Electric-Ladyland/release/1715314     and Popsike    http://www.popsike.com/JIMI-HENDRIX-Electric-Ladyland-1968-TRACK-LP-STUNNING/4041715885.html

Can both be useful as a guide But what you have to remember is that a First UK  pressing of Electric Ladyland  on Track ,in excellent condition  can be worth  $1700 but an 80's  Au pressing in good condition is only worth $25.

So you really need to be  sure what you actually have. 

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 3

This might sound silly but try facebook... I'm subscribed to a number of vinyl trading pages and you generally get a good idea of values there by how quickly records are snapped up (or otherwise). Good luck with the research.

....... I will list all for sale when the time is right

Any idea when this might be?

Not even a hint at genres? :)

• Volunteer

This might sound silly but try facebook... I'm subscribed to a number of vinyl trading pages and you generally get a good idea of values there by how quickly records are snapped up (or otherwise). Good luck with the research.

There are vinyl trading pages on facebook??  I'll need to check them out.

I agree with Discogs, but also agree you need to know exactly what you have, catalogue numbers, matrix numbers etc.

• Like 1

I also use Discogs, as it shows you the highest and lowest prices a release has been sold for.

This is correct but it only shows this for Records that have sold recently. If it is rare none may have recently sold through Discogs.

This is the results for Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland

Last Sold: 06 Mar 16

Lowest: A$105.27

Median: A$221.65

Highest: A$579.00

But what you cant see is, what Pressing ,what condition and what Country   But it is a guide.

This is why the last time I went back to the UK  and went in to a Charity Shop ,I found a copy of the Beatles White album ,pressed in the 80's ,with no poster or photos with a price tag of $600. When I asked the old lady shop shop assistant  why this price, she showed me her copy of the UK Record Collector price guide ,with the price for a first pressing, with all the inserts ,in mint condition. 

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 1

I agree with Discogs, but also agree you need to know exactly what you have, catalogue numbers, matrix numbers etc.

oh my... there's a whole world of vinyl traders on there!! Some good, some not so good, some brilliant! 

This is one of my favourites...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rarerecordsraffles/

...not a trader but run raffles every day - great social group and with daily raffles of rare records to suit all tastes is a lot of fun. A great way to obtain rare and sometimes very valuable records for nix... IF you're lucky enough to win!! I'm not in any way affiliated with this group - I entered my first raffle last week for RHCP Staduim Arcadium - sealed limited edition (2006) deluxe box set valued at around $400. I bought 3 tix at $10 each. I didn't win but with only 30 tickets available I had a fighting chance.

This is an actual record selling page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdandvinylhoardersmarket/

Hope this also helps the OP - if not sorry for the hijack.

Skender.

• Like 1

They're the only things I miss after ditching facebook. Picked up lots of good stuff.

^ is that Australian?

Yes but international participants welcomed... in fact they make a point of noting in their listings that purchasing a ticket will give a shipping discount (which varies depending on the prize)

Edited by Fair Play

John

IMO - If you don't have room for the all the records in your new "condo living", put them into storage for the time you are in the condo.  You don't want to have top try and buy them  in 3 or 5 years again do you?.

• Like 4

oh my... there's a whole world of vinyl traders on there!! Some good, some not so good, some brilliant! 

This is one of my favourites...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rarerecordsraffles/

...not a trader but run raffles every day - great social group and with daily raffles of rare records to suit all tastes is a lot of fun. A great way to obtain rare and sometimes very valuable records for nix... IF you're lucky enough to win!! I'm not in any way affiliated with this group - I entered my first raffle last week for RHCP Staduim Arcadium - sealed limited edition (2006) deluxe box set valued at around $400. I bought 3 tix at $10 each. I didn't win but with only 30 tickets available I had a fighting chance.

This is an actual record selling page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdandvinylhoardersmarket/

Hope this also helps the OP - if not sorry for the hijack.

Skender.

Interesting idea 

There is a sealed copy presently on sale on e bay ,with Free postage for $199  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Stadium-Arcadium-ORIGINAL-2006-vinyl-4-LP-set-NEW-SEALED/262310713809?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35625%26me

So if all the tickets are sold in the Raffel,that is an extra $100 profit.   So you may have found the best way possible for the OP to sell his collection for the maximum amount. 

• Like 1

Hey @, it's a great concept for both buyer and seller! I can't stress enough how much fun it is to get involved.... but it's shattering when you miss out  :(

I don't think the one you've found on eBay is the "Deluxe Art Edition" that was listed in the raffle.... there was a bit of discussion about the various versions out there - but you're point is correct. Whatever the value, you'll get your price and someone gets a bloody bargain! And I'm pretty sure they allow members to raffle their own stuff

John

IMO - If you don't have room for the all the records in your new "condo living", put them into storage for the time you are in the condo.  You don't want to have top try and buy them  in 3 or 5 years again do you?.

go away voice of reason  :P

• Like 1

Hey @, it's a great concept for both buyer and seller! I can't stress enough how much fun it is to get involved.... but it's shattering when you miss out  :(

I don't think the one you've found on eBay is the "Deluxe Art Edition" that was listed in the raffle.... there was a bit of discussion about the various versions out there - but you're point is correct. Whatever the value, you'll get your price and someone gets a bloody bargain! And I'm pretty sure they allow members to raffle their own stuff

If you like this idea that is great ,go for it and enjoy it.

I have just joined the group and had a look and to me it appears the auctions only happen when all the tickets are sold and the cost of all the tickets is about twice what  the record or records are worth. This is good for the seller but bad for all the buyers of tickets that pay and end up with nothing. I would rather purchase records in the normal way.

• Like 1

If you like this idea that is great ,go for it and enjoy it.

I have just joined the group and had a look and to me it appears the auctions only happen when all the tickets are sold and the cost of all the tickets is about twice what  the record or records are worth. This is good for the seller but bad for all the buyers of tickets that pay and end up with nothing. I would rather purchase records in the normal way.

indeed ... but it's a raffle... like playing the lottery (if that's your thing). I only buy tickets for items that REALLY interest me and I could probably never afford to buy so for 10 bucks it's worth the risk... just like any type of gambling - it's good if you don't go silly ;)

• Like 1

indeed ... but it's a raffle... like playing the lottery (if that's your thing). I only buy tickets for items that REALLY interest me and I could probably never afford to buy so for 10 bucks it's worth the risk... just like any type of gambling - it's good if you don't go silly ;)

Going off topic so I will post in your other related posting

• Like 1

I also use Discogs, as it shows you the highest and lowest prices a release has been sold for.

You cant beat that info, it's only when something is sold that we know it's true worth, it can be a very different figure compared to what is being asked for it.

Guest JohnA

thanks for all the tips...discogs has been useful for sure...

John

Hey Shane, still thinking about it mate, but just doing my homework now and making my list. I wont say i'll never do another system, but cant see myself doing another TT system to be honest. It wil most likely just be streaming.  Its what i am doing now, and i am still enjoying my music which is more important to me then the system, or vinyl i may never play again

everybody comes back to vinyl (and cd's) from streaming.

streaming is mainstream.

it's like trading your boxster for a top-of-the-line camry.

yes, it's practical, easy and convenient, but it doesn't stir your soul one bit and will quickly become boring.

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 3

Guest JohnA

everybody comes back to vinyl (and cd's) from streaming.

streaming is mainstream.

it's like trading your boxster for a top-of-the-line camry.

yes, it's practical, easy and convenient, but it doesn't stir your soul one bit and will quickly become boring.

actually may be getting rid of the black pearl also...we will be going to one car only, so need something with rear seats...

thinking maybe this

porsche-911-turbo-s-5.jpg

should be able to squeeze the daughter into that back seat

:D