JA Michell Syncro speed issue

AM Hi-Fi

Hey everyone,

I'm about to buy a later model Michell Syncro turntable (non rounded plinth) with a Michell re-badged Rega RB250 and Ortofon 510 cartridge. I've already demonstrated it and so far it seems to be spinning a bit too fast. It has the original AC synchronous motor in it. Is there a way to correct the speed or even better; replace the motor with a DC circuit? I'm on a tight budget with this turntable. The other upgrade I'm doing to this turntable is replacing the RB250 for a rewired RB303 and Ortofon Tango MC cartridge. any help would be much appreciated :) 

Make sure that you have the correct belt and that the pulley is clean. Use a strobe disc to check the speed rather than do so by ear.

If you do have a speed problem, you could add a Project Speedbox to correct it.

• Like 1

Depending on what motor the Michell Syncro uses, there should be several AC motor speed controllers you could use.

Thinking a change to a DC motor and controller will be the optimal solution is naive.

Andy

I think the RB250 tonearm is better than an RB303, which has a plastic turret with too much flex IMHO. I set up two 303s yesterday and both had an azimuth issue which is difficult to correct. I understand that Rega is ditching this tonearm, which seems to be a cheapened RB300, and replacing it with a new model called an RB330. Let's hope it is as good as the RB300.

Turntables that run a synchronous motor will vary in speed during the day due to load variations on the mains. These speed variances will not show up with an ordinary speed disc because its reference is also the mains. To be able to check speed accurately you need a calibrated strobe light that is independent of mains frequency. The mains also 'warbles' which affects the smoothness of turntables driven by synchronous motors. An electronic speed control such as the Speedbox or the TT-PSU that generates its own reference frequency will give much better speed stability and lower wow & flutter (rapid speed variations). I think both of these are for low voltage motors, however.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
Guest rondine

Does it use a Crouzet motor? They are not a great motor and I think you could replace it with one of those dc motor pods from ebay. Easy to try as the belt runs on the outer platter.

ron