Hi im neil aberdeen

Guest Runaway

Greetings, Aberdonian.  

I worked in the oil industry and lived in Aberdeen 2000-2004 - it toughened me up immeasurably!  Especially after the Ashvale Whale!

Welcome

Cheers everyone! Addicted to vinyl again , some joy division and the national yesterday . But , im no sure about the numark pro tt 1 i have . I got it 2 nd hand and it makes a grinding crackling sound which i hear before record starts and during . Dont know wether i shud get a new cartridge or get a nice set up like a rega etc ?

Welcome, Neil :cool:

My welcome would have been longer if you were more upmarket....like from Glasgow where real Scotsmen come from ;)

Edit: typo in name, sorry.

Edited by Muon

Cheers everyone! Addicted to vinyl again , some joy division and the national yesterday . But , im no sure about the numark pro tt 1 i have . I got it 2 nd hand and it makes a grinding crackling sound which i hear before record starts and during . Dont know wether i shud get a new cartridge or get a nice set up like a rega etc ?

Is the noise coming from the speakers or from the table?

Hmm...might want to make a thread in the turntable section if to get help tracking the issue down.

Edited by Muon

Hi particle , then dragging and surface noise coming from both speaker and table . I will put a pic on of set up later tonight . Would a project or rega be a more enjoyable listening experience?

You certainly can do better for a table, but what to move to is a personal choice, and it depends on what level table yo8u are looking at also.

Those symptoms sound very bad, and i wouldn't be playing anything until you work out why it is making those noises.

Very true DJB, 500 miles down south it s different story and that's where we'll end up. In the places defense though when its sunny its stunning especially in May as the countryside bursts into life as Spring really takes hold. Its gorgeous.

Are you on hifiwigwam Neil, good forum ?

Yeah enjoying forum , love talking bout music . Bought a tt again after having one years ago , and the wife nagging me about the amount of cds i have . , ! So i told her fair enough, ive just bought a record player lol. So the vnyl collections growing (shes not a happy bunny) next step , sneaking it through to the living room. ,,,,!

Another q lol. I have a bose soundwave , if i get a new tt ie the rega one can i play that thru the soundwave?

A TT needs a riaa phone stage, a phone stage does two things, it amplifies the very low level signal from the cartridge to a line level similar to CD and such. The other thing it does is applies a reverse equalization to the recording, as when tracks are laid down on a record the treble and bass is attenuated so the needle doesn't jump out of the groves during play, so the RIAA aspect corrects this so it is right for playback.

Edit: so the TT is first connected to a phono pre amp. then that connects to the AUX input of the Bose Soundwave.

Edited by Muon