SOLD: QAT RS3 Music Server

Item: QAT RS3 Music Server

Price: $1600 + post (RRP on the bundle is ~$2700)

Item Condition: 3 Months old - like new

Reason for selling: Opportunity came up to buy something else for a great price, something needs to give.

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (add 2.5%)

Extra Info:

I've had this unit a few months and it's seriously fantastic, I wouldn't be selling it if I hadn't bought an MC275 tube amp... But something has to give, I can't afford to keep everything - so you reap the benefit.

Included in the sale is a top notch Samsung 256ssd worth ~$200, the server will ship in it's original packaging and box. This is also a genuine Australian delivered model running 240v.

Even at it's RRP this thing is stellar value considering it has the ability to rip CD's (via a BYO external PC USB drive), has wireless internet connection, has hot swapping internal storage and allows for extra storage to be connected via USB!!!

Review on the unit here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/qat/1.html

The RS3 Music Server is built with a high-performance processing circuit design, using custom-built chips, a high performance DAC and PCM format audio with a high sampling rate. With a sampling rate of up to 24-bit 192kHz, the audio output sounds much more like the original recording in all its details compared with conventional decoding.

A mainstay of QAT music servers, RS3 has a 2.5 inch hard disk slot conveniently placed on the front panel, supporting both SSD and HDD disks, replacing a hard disk with another taking up only seconds.

RS3 Music Server also allows connection of external devices through 3 USB ports (one front, two back) and by way of wireless signal to network accessed storage (NAS), which gives nearly unlimited, additional storage.

QAT has developed in-house an app ‘QAT’ to control the server to listen, rip and copy from anywhere with Wi-Fi signal. Our app comes both for iOS and Android devices, with tablets to control all functions, and phones for playback controls on iOS, on Android all functions are available on either devices. The apps are available for free on app store and our website, and are updated regularly.

The RS3 features a wireless dongle that plugs into one of the three USB ports so that it can communicate with your iPad or Android tablet and take advantage of online features such as streaming and track data services.

The RS3 also allows for the connection of any standard external CD drive to facilitate the ripping of CD audio directly onto the HDD in the front 2.5 inch slot. Simply plug in the external CD drive, insert your CD and a CD icon will appear in the QAT app. Tapping the icon will bring up a track listing and, if your QAT is connected to your home network with Internet, it will find the album artwork and tracks. Ripping is then a simple button tap away!

The unit also features balanced and unbalanced analogue outputs (if you haven't got a fancy DAC) and coaxial out as well if you do.

Happy to answer any additional questions you have on the unit, the app or how it works!

Pictures:

post-148514-0-70410300-1459852873_thumb.

post-148514-0-85847400-1459852891_thumb.

post-148514-0-04271800-1459852944_thumb.

post-148514-0-22839000-1459853413_thumb.

Edited by the.latter
  • Like 1

Tempting! What's the internal

DAC like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty good, it the soundstage is a little flatter than the DAC of my McIntosh D100, a bit brighter and not quite as detailed. But that's comparing it to a $4000 DAC in a pretty high end system. Being conservative I think it would be as good as any standalone DAC in the $1500 price bracket based on what I've demoed in the past. Edited by the.latter

the.latter - have you used any other streamers/servers? what do you think of this in sound quality in relation to other devices? I haven't really heard of QAT before?

What were you running it into?

the.latter - have you used any other streamers/servers? what do you think of this in sound quality in relation to other devices? I haven't really heard of QAT before?

What were you running it into?

I was bypassing the internal DAC in this and running coax into my D100 - sound quality this way was identical to my McIntosh MVP841 any every other digital source I've plugged into the D100. I also tested the internal DAC in it by just plugging it via rca into my amp (see comments above on comparison between it and the D100).

I haven't tested the analogue out on it against other servers other than the Cambridge audio CXN the store had. The QAT was superior to it in every way.

The 6moons review does a good job of comparing it to a computer and some very high end DACs

"

But there was so much more. How would its built-in converter compare to the €4'890 tube-buffered Italian? After all, the QAT is a complete digital source with analog outputs. The iMac isn't unless we count its infernal 3.5mm headphone socket which, let's agree, we won't. No, to perform, this and any other iMac absolutely demand a quality USB converter. Good ones tend to cost more than the entire QAT. And no, Mr. Q didn't dominate the Aqua which was more dynamic and full-bodied and dense. That said, it came uncomfortably close to the slightly leaner and drier but rhythmically very keen reading of the Metrum Hex whilst being bassier like the Lindemann musicbook:15. Between those and the QAT DAC, the offset was far narrower than it is between my Zu and Sablon power cords. Having done a fair amount of DACing in the ±€3K realm, I'm confident that what's built into the RS3 falls squarely into that camp. That's where things really come to a head. To keep it real, I did a quick online check on pricing of a 2TB internal hard disk—the RS3 is delivered without—and a 1TB SSD. Think ~€100 for the former, ~€400 for the latter. An external CD drive for ripping can be had for less than €50. To that we must add an iPad Mini at €350 (a smart phone's display would be too small to be practical). To acquire a fully working QAT RS3 thus sets one back just shy of €2'000. That's about the price of a basic 27" iMac which we already know won't play tunes as is. To equal the QAT on sonics, you'd need to double your iMac budget. How about aiming lower? A MacBook Air is €899. That leaves just €1'100 for a Mac software player, DAC, decent USB cable and external disc drive. "

Edited by the.latter

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation, or purchasing some StereoNET Merchandise.

-------------------------------------

Donation Payment Option

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:
donate-button.png

-------------------------------------

Merchandise Purchase Option

You can purchase one of our official StereoNET T-shirts, or other StereoNET merchandise by clicking the following link:
SNA_merch.jpg

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.