Onkyo vs Pioneer vs Yamaha receiver?

Got a mate that can do me a good deal on theses brands and I'm in desperate need of replacing my Onlyo sr805

I'm looking towards the Onlyo TX-NR838 but im kinda not impressed with Onkyo sound specially the LFE

I just can't get my sub right with the 805 so what models are a equivalent replacement ?

Hi,

Why do you feel you are in "desperate" need to replace your Onkyo 805?

I totally understand if it's because you want/need newer features or just want to upgrade..........but........

If it's only because of an "LFE" issue you may be unfairly blaming the Onkyo.

What exactly do you mean by not being able to get the sub LFE right?.........what are you (not?) hearing?

When did this start happening?..........

Are you sure that you have you connected it up properly?...........faulty cable perhaps?

Are you sure that you have set ALL speakers to "small"?

Are you sure that you have set the crossover ON THE ACTUAL SUB to it's highest setting?

Are you sure the volume and phase of the sub are accurately set?

If ALL these things are OK then maybe run the Audyssey room EQ again just to be safe.

If you STILL have issues after all that then it could well be that the problem is with the SUB ITSELF!!!!!

Good Luck

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

they tend to be much of much ness. aren't the current onks a step back bass wise in their eq and management system since dropping audyssey ? the yamaha system also doesnt quite eq the bass side below what is it 30hz ? pioneer cant comment probably depends on the specific model they have made some with some sensational power stages. as with john id be asking why want to move on what you have ?

Well the LFE don't work anymore so I'm running with no sub.

Also I want to be able to run my HTPC through it but it don't support 4K so that's another reason

Also it's of a few other issues

Correction the LFE only works when watching movies in Dolby digital and Dolby HD

Will not work when the input signal is stereo

I think at the moment Yamaha has the best all around if you look at advantage range and better warranty. The other thing is that the apps on Yamaha slot better as well. The onkyo might not support 4k but with dual output hdmi does not really matter. If you really want bass on your stereo, then other options is to ger integrated amp with main in with sub woofer out.

No it works when decoding Dolby digital and HD

The 805 does not have a option for larg or small speaker configer

not sure on the onks....but most brands have options in stereo of direct mode for instance that disengage the sub. so could be just a setting thing :)

@@billyboyrm shure, if your room and speaker combo will allow your main speakers to produce bass properly, then yes, but not all systems are created equal. My 805Ds running full range in my room don't work, so I need to run them with a sub doing below 80hz at all times.

No, the opposite actually, my room is small, and it's not that my speakers can't produce enough bass for that room, they can, but it's all messed up and bloated sounding, so it needs to be room corrected and the sub needs to be used.

Ah, understand now I do, obi wan.Judging by the equipment you have listed in your signature - how on earth do you fit everything in.  Myself I have stuff in 3 rooms.  But then I designed and built the house myself. 

HowFarToAsgaard,

LOL..........of course your Onkyo 805 has speaker size options.

It's part of the on board Audyssey MultEQ XT Room EQ.

Scroll halfway down the below page link for details

www.cnet.com/au/products/onkyo-tx-sr805/

Multi position microphone calibration is a very important step in optimising your SQ. :thumb:

It gives your AVR a "look" at the gear and room.

Have your ever run it?

Edited by JohnL

I have owned models from all three - currently have a Pioneer LX79 ( my much loved Yamaha 3900 gave up :( ) - also experience with Cambridge and Marantz. 

The Pioneer is a good thing and the power amp section is better than the Yamaha but some margin - the processor / pre amp in the Yamaha is better and the room correction is much easier to use in the Yamaha the Pioneer room correction is very good - can handle 2 subs but is very hard to get your head around and takes time - the "auto" setup only seems to use about 30% of what can be done.

However IMO the best current option currently in that price range are Marantz lots of features and great sound 

Edited by Chill3

Onkyo vs Yamaha vs Pioneer - isn't a helpful starting point. 

That's like saying 

Toyota vs Mercedes vs VW

Which Toyota? 86? Mercedes A class? VW Amarok?

Give us some models. You can't choose based on brand. There are good and bad implementations from each brand.

• Like 1