TAD System CE1 M2500Mk2 D1000Mk2

Finally,

The all TAD system has arrived.

More to come.

post-126491-0-96888300-1459831674_thumb.

Update: As promised, here is my story so far:

A bit of background first. I have known about TAD for a while, they frequently walk away with Best in Show reviews from various renowned audio events (such as the Munich show) and as far as I could make out the TAD team had an almost unlimited budget and access to some of Japans best minds in audio over multiple decades with a mandate (and budget) to and build the best. They also have a reputation for being incredibly expensive (think Soulution, Dartzeel, D'Agonstino , Boulder expensive) so I never even entertained the idea of owning any of their kit.

Fast forward to late 2015. I was looking to replace my PMCs and the candidates included the Gryphon Mojo, Gryphon Atlantis, or Magico Q1s, Rockport Atria, etc. Yamaha Man had the Gryphon Atalntas in his system so a quick call to discuss seemed like a smart move. After a fairly lengthy conversation it turns out there was one speaker that thrashed everything else he had heard, Wilson, Gryphon, you name it: The TAD Reference one. So I began looking at TAD again, and things had become interesting as:

1. They had released the CE1s which had a novel porting system and the revalatory TAD concentric driver, add to this the fact that I have always liked the imaging tendencies of a standmount.

2. TAD had revised the D1000 to Mk2 and it included a USB DAC (which the Gryphon Mikado didn't), it had a first class pre section integrated, and it did DSD (Unlike my Esoteric K-05).

3. TAD could, as best I could tell, deliver a no compromise end to end system with highly advantageous synergies between the components (much like Gryphon).

I was also thinking of a Diablo 300/Magico system ( I have also heard some great Vitus/Magico setups) when I spoke to a friend in the UK who has really done the rounds in high end, owning many more high end system than I would ever want to. He had recently heard the CE1, M2500, and D1000 combo and was unequivocal: Get the TAD Setup.

The rest is history, I began the long search for someone who could sort me out at the right price and after a few months I struck gold and promptly ordered. After a bit of a wait palette number 1 arrived. The Japanese seem to be fastidious by culture and the packing really bears this out:

post-126491-0-64717400-1460335911_thumb.

Listening Impressions

Let me say right up front, I am not a music Journo so you will have to bear with my limited range as regards written expression. A few listening experiences:

Massive Attack - Three: There is a very breathy synth (old Roland Juno?)  that comes in and out of this track that I have not heard up until now, it’s clearly present at the end when all the other instruments have faded out but I can now hear where it appears throughout the entire track. In fact I now understand Three comprises several smaller instrumental threads that are simply nor present when played through my previous setup.

Arve Henriksen – Chiaroscuro. This artist thrives on the TAD setup as his performance s really all about manipulating the 'breathiness' of his trumpet, the concentric midrange and tweeter blows this instrument wide apart into its constituent components. For fans of solo instruments and even Arias I think the concentric technology is an epiphany.

Timber Timbre – Magic arrow: One of my favorite tracks from the last few years. My previous system separated out the layers on the soundstage but now I can hear the musicians in the room. That might sound trivial but when you are getting such a visceral feel for each musicians contribution to the performance it really behaves like a piece of living music.

Zakir Hussein – Water Girl. WOW. This is a go to reference track for me to test any given system as the detail is there if the system is up to the task. This is the best percussion I have heard on any system. By the middle of the track when he explores the limits of what’s possible with the tabla, rapid taps and strikes (I’m sure there are specific terms for this but I am not a music journo) come and go with dynamics fully intact. Again there is now a very subtle backing vocal I had never heard before.

In short, this system is a revelation to me, the resolution and imaging Is unlike anything I have heard, vocals and wind instruments in particular have such dimension and texture you can almost reach out and touch it. This seems like a crazy thing to say but after hearing this system I’m 95% certain I want a pair of CR1’s: I can only imagine what they will be capable of.

post-126491-0-46721500-1460467604_thumb.

post-126491-0-93203900-1460468518_thumb.

post-126491-0-91490600-1460467554_thumb.

post-126491-0-61056000-1460467592_thumb.

post-126491-0-32538200-1460467622_thumb.

post-126491-0-55411900-1460467630_thumb.

post-126491-0-22226700-1460467648_thumb.

Edited by thewaves
  • Like 36

Just lovely mate - congratulations! :)

What kind of music do you listen to? Lastly, who's the Aussie TAD dealer's these days? I had a look at SydneyHiFi Castle Hill's website and there's no mention of the brand. 

Edited by Galactic Soap

What kind of music do you listen to? Lastly, who's the Aussie TAD dealer's these days? I had a look at SydneyHiFi Castle Hill's website and there's no mention of the brand. 

don't think there is one at the moment, but could be wrong!

yes, please let us know some more info. beautiful stuff, is tad.  :thumb:

• Like 1

don't think there is one at the moment, but could be wrong!

yes, please let us know some more info. beautiful stuff, is tad.  :thumb:

You are right, this turned out to be a good thing I think as the deal I was able to manage was bloody amazing.

All sorts, some of the favourites through the system so far: Dead can Dance, Kraftwerk, Norken, Fleetwood Mac, Calexico, Beach House, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, a bit of Classical. Now that I think of it if anyone can recommend their favourite and perhaps most dynamic\challenging SACD & DSD Tracks (I have nothing choral - all contributions are most welcome) - I would really appreciate it!

@@Andrew S. - you seem to have a firm grasp grasp on whats hot in DSD?

Congrats - no idea about these so will very interested to hear your report as they burn in

Cheers Andrew - I have been told 800 hours until full bloom but the system already sounds otherworldly :).

I'm pretty much vinyl these days but happy to assist if I can - PM your way ;)

Edited by Andrew S.

All sorts, some of the favourites through the system so far: Dead can Dance, Kraftwerk, Norken, Fleetwood Mac, Calexico, Beach House, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, a bit of Classical. Now that I think of it if anyone can recommend their favourite and perhaps most dynamic\challenging SACD & DSD Tracks (I have nothing choral - all contributions are most welcome) - I would really appreciate it!

Have a listen to Sister Drum by Da Da Wa.

• Like 3

man, those speakers are really nice. 

and they look fantastic in that finish. some other finishes look a bit 'exotic'?

Cheers Analog Brother, I had a heads up from a contact who has seen them all first hand that the all black was the stand out pick - The finish is beyond anything i have seen up until now.

• Like 1